PDA

View Full Version : The News From Around the League Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Getzo5
04-06-2012, 17:30
EDIT:

Stoll, Doughty and Sutter all laughed it off and joked about it. I personally thought it was hilarious. It should have been a penalty, nothing more. It's like getting away with a trip, you don't love it, but you still laugh that eight sets of eyes missed it.http://i.imgur.com/EiTDi.jpg

Alrighty then.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:32
How is that like hitting someone?

guyincognito
04-06-2012, 17:33
Yeah, that's not really laugh-offable. If the Yotes lose tonight, Sharks and Kings are playing for the division on Saturday. For that to happen on the PK and then to have the team win the game, you kinda gotta do something about that. Reminds me of Sarge being hauled down looking for an empty netter.

guyincognito
04-06-2012, 17:33
How is that like hitting someone?

Read the rest of the line, it's like a football player running on the field and hitting the ballcarrier. Pretty accurate.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:36
Read the rest of the line, it's like a football player running on the field and hitting the ballcarrier. Pretty accurate.

I read the entire quote so I'll just say what I said again. How is it like a football player running out on the field and hitting someone? It would be like a player running out and picking off the QB but not hitting someone.

guyincognito
04-06-2012, 17:38
How is it like a football player running out on the field and hitting someone? It would be like a player running out and picking off the QB but not hitting someone.

What's the difference if he tackled a WR/RB on the sideline or picked off a pass? We're just arguing semantics here. If this was one of those end of season "exhibition" games, I could see not caring, but with what was on the line, it's pretty lame.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:39
What's the difference if he tackled a WR/RB on the sideline or picked off a pass? We're just arguing semantics here. If this was one of those end of season "exhibition" games, I could see not caring, but with what was on the line, it's pretty lame.

well if Clowe tripped someone from the bench then thats a dangerous play and should be suspended just as if someone ran on the field and hit an unsuspecting player. So no we are not arguing semantics.

guyincognito
04-06-2012, 17:42
well if Clowe tripped someone from the bench then thats a dangerous play and should be suspended just as if someone ran on the field and hit an unsuspecting player. So no we are not arguing semantics.

He should be suspended because he knowingly influenced the outcome of a game from the bench. It's one of those "it didn't happen to me, so I don't care" things, but it has happened to you in the past. What if the Sens tied that game?

Should sit the last game of the season. But hey, someone said something bad about Crosby, so the NHL has to send all of its resources out that way.

Devilsfanatic
04-06-2012, 17:49
The liney got in the way of Brylin after anyway.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:50
He should be suspended because he knowingly influenced the outcome of a game from the bench. It's one of those "it didn't happen to me, so I don't care" things, but it has happened to you in the past. What if the Sens tied that game?

Should sit the last game of the season. But hey, someone said something bad about Crosby, so the NHL has to send all of its resources out that way.

It should have been a penalty and thats it. I'm not going to even comment on the other thing you said cause.

Clarkson Falls Down
04-06-2012, 18:06
Clowe was clearly trying to even things up for the Kings after clock-gate earlier this year :sarcasm:

Devilsfanatic
04-06-2012, 18:16
Clowe was clearly trying to even things up for the Kings after clock-gate earlier this year :sarcasm:

Yeah, that was really bad. And they got the two out of that.

VaxjoDevil
04-06-2012, 20:18
Fasth to Ducks? Wow, that's a former Vaxjo Lakers goalie.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 22:22
Fasth to Ducks? Wow, that's a former Vaxjo Lakers goalie.

Perhaps you would know this. Is it common for older swedish players to have out clauses in their contract. I thought Fasth was under contract and that those out clauses were pretty much for young players and certain former NHLers.

guyincognito
04-06-2012, 22:40
So, the HFtards are making a big deal out of Winnipeg not collecting revenue sharing? Jeez, I'd hope not. It's the first year. :laugh:

Getzo5
04-07-2012, 07:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJON4isYPw

lmao

Gotta love Fartsmell.

VaxjoDevil
04-07-2012, 10:43
Perhaps you would know this. Is it common for older swedish players to have out clauses in their contract. I thought Fasth was under contract and that those out clauses were pretty much for young players and certain former NHLers.

Every contract in Sweden has the clause that the player can go to the NHL. Especially someone like Fasth, who was expected to leave at some point.

Lord Ned Stark
04-07-2012, 10:49
is fasth any good?

devilzrule27
04-07-2012, 10:53
Every contract in Sweden has the clause that the player can go to the NHL. Especially someone like Fasth, who was expected to leave at some point.

Did not know that, thank you very much.

Devilsfanatic
04-07-2012, 10:53
I wish the Kings would have signed him.

Fasth and Quick.

Getzo5
04-08-2012, 05:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lY8UvP-UhA

Spot on as usual (if you ignore homerism).

Vinnie
04-10-2012, 08:03
Why does Burke even wear a tie?

"We need to get bigger."

Ok, Brian, you do that.

Tao Jones
04-10-2012, 08:19
Dmitry Chesnokov

Interesting RT @DennisTFP Real interesting that Burke says new CBA may not allow teams to bury salaries in AHL.

Vinnie
04-10-2012, 08:25
"What's the Pittsburgh model? They got a lottery. They won a goddamn lottery. And they got the best player in the game. Is that available to me?...Pittsburgh model my ***."

Getzo5
04-10-2012, 08:49
Dmitry Chesnokov

Interesting RT @DennisTFP Real interesting that Burke says new CBA may not allow teams to bury salaries in AHL.No more Reddens eh? I`m down with that.

Clarkson Falls Down
04-10-2012, 14:50
So Bettman was asked in an interview today why Tortorella was fined. He said because he was cursing. I find this to be total BS. The curses were bleeped out.

Getzo5
04-10-2012, 14:56
Coaches curse all the time. Why didn`t he fine Laviolette or Boudreau (24/7) then?

Stupid midget.

Getzo5
04-10-2012, 17:55
Just saw Briere`s post-game (against the Pens) interview.

Did he really say Vitale tried to hurt him with a clean hit? :laugh:

Getzo5
04-11-2012, 16:00
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=2&id=171423

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=2&id=171424

Fans get mad and all, even I have some issues with some the arguments they use, but the approach itself is correct IMO.

Clarkson Falls Down
04-12-2012, 13:59
Elliotte Friedman ‏ @FriedgeHNIC
Flames announce they will not keep Brent Sutter.

Devilsfanatic
04-12-2012, 13:59
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

**** you, Brent.

devilzrule27
04-12-2012, 14:02
Now the Oilers will fire Tom Renney and hire Sutter and he will then promptly bench every player under the age of 22

Vinnie
04-12-2012, 14:29
Heh. Wonder if his name will get him another coaching job.

jkrdevil
04-12-2012, 15:27
Now the Oilers will fire Tom Renney and hire Sutter and he will then promptly bench every player under the age of 22

He can't bench the whole team

Dr. Doom
04-12-2012, 15:32
I'm past this whole Sutter thing.

Getzo5
04-13-2012, 05:51
This is a little known fact, but when the Oilers want to public to know something, they call me first. Not TSN. Not Hockey Night in Canada. Not anyone in the Edmonton-area media. Not even their own PR people. It's me they call. Me.

Sure, the Oilers did an "End of Season" news conference, but that was just for show. Five minutes after it ended, Oilers General Manager Steve Tambellini called me to set up an in-depth, face-to-face interview to discuss the Oilers season, and what's ahead in 2012/2013. The following is a transcript of that interview.

Richard Cloutier: Hey Steve. Have you recovered yet from the news that you won the draft lottery?

Steve Tambellini: Hi Rich. It's been a while, and I must say, you look fantastic. I mean seriously. Remember how all the women were crazy over Craig Simpson? You make him look like Shawn Horcoff. Which Hilton sister are you seeing right now, Paris or Nicky? If it's Paris, I'd shower more often if I were you.

RC: Stop, you're embarrassing me...

ST: To answer your question, winning the lottery was not a shock. The Oilers were due. I mean, we...no I...deserved to win after the season I had. Talk about feeling unappreciated. I wish I could pick up the Oilers and move them to a city where the sun is warm and the fans are indifferent.

RC: How did you feel about the 2011/2012 season?

ST: Super fantastic awesome. It was like finding an extra toy in your box of cereal. It's like finding your own underwear at 6am after the rave ends. Not only did the team reach the goals I set, but they exceeded team.

RC: Didn't you say at the start of the season the goal was to make the playoffs?

ST: Sure, I said it. You believe what I say? Don't. I have to say we'll make the playoffs. What am I suppose to say to people? "It's okay, don't buy our tickets, because this season will be meaningless"...I have to promise wins. Daryl Katz makes me. Actually, he's a real grump about it.

RC: What was the goal if it wasn't making the playoffs?

ST: Kill time, mostly. Look, this team sucks. I know it; you know it; even the owner knows it. It's not going to suck forever. We have...what...three superstar players now in the form of Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins. I figure if we keep finishing in the Bottom 5 for the next 17 seasons, we'll have 20 superstars. We'll hardly ever lose when that happens. I know math, and it's going to take 17 more years to complete 17 more seasons. Fans are going to need to be patient. Truthfully though, as long as people buy tickets and pay any amount we ask to come to games, I couldn't give a fig if we win or not. Winning is work; money is money.

RC: How did you feel about Oilers coaching; more specifically, the work of Tom Renney?

ST: Great distraction. As long as people think coaching is the problem, they don't look at what I do. I'll tell you a story: When I was looking to hire a Head Coach, I wanted someone who wasn't going to argue, and Renney is tremendous in that capacity. He willing takes abuse all season from fans, players, and the media. Hardly anyone asks if I know what I was doing, because Renney is a passive sycophant who allows everyone to publicly hammer on him. It's awesome.

RC: What did you do for the Oilers last season to improve the team?

ST: I answered the phone. You would not believe how many phone calls I get in a day. There was this one time Brian Burke called me, and he was all like "hey Tambi, I'll give you Schenn and Franson and a 1st round pick for Linus Omark" and I was all like "but if we make a trade, do I have to fill out forms and fax them to the NHL head office? Because if so, I'm not interested." Work is for the poor and stupid people.

RC: Did you do anything else this season?

ST: I let Kevin Lowe throw things at me once in a while. The man is an absolute tyrant, I'll tell you. Once he starts hitting you, he just keeps going. I'd call the owner to complain, but, you know...work. Stevie doesn't do work. Calling people is work. I'd rather take Lowe's beatings. They only happen every six weeks or so, so it's not that bad.

RC: What's the plan for the Oilers next season?

ST: I plan on watching the Oilers lose games and not helping them much because we need to improve through the draft. Last season, I had the right idea. I went into summer knowing the team needed size up front, at least two more Top 4 defensemen and a goaltender. I completely ignored all those needs so we could win the lotto and take Yakupov. My plan worked so well, I plan on repeating it. I fully expect Nathan MacKinnon to be an Oiler by July 1, 2013. Can you imagine a line with Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yakupov AND MacKinnon? Brilliant. Put Smid and Petry on defense for that line, and we'd be unstoppable.

RC: Many Oilers fans have suggested trading Ales Hemsky and/or Sam Gagner to bring in better defensemen...

ST: Yeah, I heard that. I like Hemsky because he plays the game like I run the team. Nothing seems to faze him. I gave him $10mil for the next two seasons because I think I'm worth $10mil for the next two seasons. Maybe more. As far as Gagner goes, that little runt still owes me $37.50 from poker last week. That's the last time I spot that deadbeat so he can bet on a pair of twos. Useless. I'm not gonna trade him, because his dad was a real hockey player, and he hangs out with the team sometimes. Adds to my street cred. Plus, he's going nowhere until I get my $37.50, plus interest.

RC: How do you feel about the Oilers goaltending going into next season?

ST: Dubnyk is tall. Ridiculously tall. Khabibulin is not as tall.

RC: Was there anyone who really surprised you last season with his performance?

ST: I kinda hate the play-by-play team who covers Flames games on Sportsnet. Shockingly bad.

RC: Are you going to give Tom Renney a new contract, or is he gone before next season?

ST: Sorta both. I plan on giving him a five year deal and firing him five games into the season. He'll never see it coming.

RC: And Yakupov? Taking him, or trading the pick?

ST: I'll take Yakupov, because nothing is better than taking a player with elite talent and slowly and methodically eliminating his will to live. Have you see Hall lately? Seems more bitter and depressed with every interview. God, I love my job.This is fantastic. :laugh:

Dr. Doom
04-13-2012, 07:10
http://www.netbrawl.com/uploads/d76be011fd21e8471d1b81b102fa81a7.jpg
where did you find that?

Getzo5
04-13-2012, 08:03
http://www.netbrawl.com/uploads/d76be011fd21e8471d1b81b102fa81a7.jpg
where did you find that?My friend did. No idea, but I can ask him if you want.

Dr. Doom
04-13-2012, 08:09
i did a google search and found out it was from hockeybuzz :laugh:

Getzo5
04-13-2012, 08:13
Oh Lord. :laugh:

Whatever, it`s a good one. I`d never visit that place though.

Dr. Doom
04-13-2012, 08:20
Oh Lord. :laugh:

Whatever, it`s a good one. I`d never visit that place though.
i was worried you did when i found out where it came from haha.

Getzo5
04-13-2012, 08:33
"With the 3rd pick, Montreal selects...from the Quebec Remparts...Mikhail Grigorenko AND Patrick Roy."

Dr. Doom
04-13-2012, 08:34
"With the 3rd pick, Montreal selects...from the Quebec Remparts...Mikhail Grigorenko AND Patrick Roy."
They won't get a shot at him because Columbus is gonna take him.

Getzo5
04-13-2012, 09:03
They won't get a shot at him because Columbus is gonna take him.This is definitely an unexpected reaction. Care to elaborate?

Getzo5
04-13-2012, 09:06
Radulov's Russian agent to SovSport: "Radulov will most likely spend the next season in Russia." #Preds

Can`t say I`m surprised if true... but... daym. I want him to stay.

Dr. Doom
04-13-2012, 09:07
This is definitely an unexpected reaction. Care to elaborate?
Edmonton - Yakupov
Columbus - Grigorenko
Montreal - Galchenyuk
Islanders - Murray
Toronto - Forsberg

You can quote me on this for the draft, unless a trade is made.

Dr. Doom
04-13-2012, 09:07
Radulov's Russian agent to SovSport: "Radulov will most likely spend the next season in Russia." #Preds

Can`t say I`m surprised if true... but... daym.
I guess he likes being home and getting paid a lot of money :laugh:

vonbonds
04-13-2012, 09:14

Can`t say I`m surprised if true... but... daym. I want him to stay.

I am sure a negotiating ploy to get the Preds to give him a nice extension that makes him want to stay.

Getzo5
04-13-2012, 09:19
I guess he likes being home and getting paid a lot of money :laugh:He`s one of those bad guys you love to root for. lol

I tend to agree with vonbonds.

Getzo5
04-21-2012, 08:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y30Ulic1lp0

Tarts is such a whiny **********.

Zajac's Bowl Cut
04-21-2012, 09:10
Torres got 25 games

Clarkson Falls Down
04-21-2012, 09:11
25?!

VaxjoDevil
04-21-2012, 09:20
a.k.a. no more playoff for him this season. Fine with me.

vonbonds
04-21-2012, 13:08
Torres got 25 games

He has a bad habit of forgetting to leave his skates on the ice for big checks. Now he can practice on the couch.

Lord Ned Stark
04-21-2012, 14:40
hahaha jokinen a big moc meal from mac dohnalds

Vinnie
04-21-2012, 14:46
25 games?! Did Torres take a run at Shanny back in the day or something?

Devilsfanatic
04-21-2012, 14:51
He's taken five runs over 2 years. He's been Matt Cooked, and it worked for him, so I agree with it, wholeheartedly.

Getzo5
04-21-2012, 14:55
He's taken five runs over 2 years. He's been Matt Cooked, and it worked for him, so I agree with it, wholeheartedly.This.

Getzo5
04-23-2012, 09:10
Backes, Bergeron and Datsyuk named Frank J. Selke Trophy finalists.

Are Backes` numbers that good? Bergeron easily.

Getzo5
04-23-2012, 10:09
Lady Byng finalists: Moulson, Eberle, Campbell.

Getzo5
04-23-2012, 13:54
“We have tons of money and if we can use our cap space to get high-end free agents, we have a shot to get right back on top. If we’re fortunate in free agency, we won’t have to look at going in another direction. The standard here has always been to chase the Stanley Cup, so as a coach, I’m hoping the free-agent market helps us continue to have those goals.”

- Mike Babcock -

Parise
Suter
Profit?

Getzo5
04-24-2012, 15:02
Roberto #Luongo has written a list of four teams to which he would accept to be traded. Details to come.

Here we go.

Devilsfanatic
04-24-2012, 15:10
I really hope it says: Edmonton, Calgary, Minnesota, Colorado

Dr. Doom
04-24-2012, 16:05
Guarantee Tampa is one of them.

Devilsfanatic
04-24-2012, 16:16
Duthie says the report was false.

devilzrule27
04-24-2012, 21:53
Legitimately surprised Bryce didn't get a Masterton nom.

Getzo5
04-25-2012, 06:11
Legitimately surprised Bryce didn't get a Masterton nom.Whatever.

Armstrong is a joke also. Watch him win the GM of the year for bringing Hitchcock in.

Lidstrom, though, doesn't think the team needs an overhaul to restore its place as an elite team as it was in 2009, when it was a win away from repeating as Stanley Cup champions.

"Just a couple tweaks," he said.

The Red Wings are hoping to make a splash this summer in free agency. Kronwall hopes they accomplish the goal by using some of their ample cap space to bring in Ryan Suter and Zach Parise if they chose not to re-sign with their teams.

"The last three years haven't been great for us, so changes are going to come," Kronwall said. "Two guys like that are elite players. Suter is one of the best D-men in the league. Praise is one of the best forwards in the league and one of the hardest-working guys, so it would be great to add them."

Devilsfanatic
04-25-2012, 07:40
That should be a fine, should it not? Any personnel cannot comment on another team's players.....and for those comments, I hope they get neither.

Big#D
04-25-2012, 08:06
i didn't think it went down to the player level. i thought it was okay for a player to say "i'd love to play with so and so".

that quote is over the line though. blatant sales pitch.

Devilsfanatic
04-25-2012, 08:10
I thought no one could comment if you were with the organization. I dunno, I'll have to ask around.

Getzo5
04-25-2012, 08:14
Kathryn Tappen ‏ @KathrynTappen
No surprise here: #NYR Henrik Lundqvist, #LAK Jonathan Quick & #NSH Pekka Rinne have been named finalists for this year's Vezina Trophy

All I want for Xmas is Vezina for Quick.

onefatsurfer
04-25-2012, 08:15
Tampering!! We demand Kronwall + 1st

Big#D
04-25-2012, 08:15
I'd love to see Detroit fined and lose draft picks as a result of this though. Not because I think they deserve it. Just because.

onefatsurfer
04-25-2012, 08:19
I'm still pissed that we have to give up our 1st and lost our 3rd, and the $ fine. F that BS.

Devilsfanatic
04-25-2012, 08:26
No, CJ, Quick didn't have one good month, he was good all the time. I'm sorry Tony beats you that you have to be a Ranger fan. Lundqvist was outstanding this year and he's a phenomenal goalie, but Quick's the better goalie, Quick's the better goalie, Quick's the better goalie.

Big#D
04-25-2012, 08:48
No, CJ, Quick didn't have one good month, he was good all the time. I'm sorry Tony beats you that you have to be a Ranger fan. Lundqvist was outstanding this year and he's a phenomenal goalie, but Quick's the better goalie, Quick's the better goalie, Quick's the better goalie.

I think they've both had an outstanding year and I think either is arguable. I'd probably give it to Lundqvist over Quick only for the fact that I believe Lundqvist took a shittier team to challenge for the Presidents' Trophy whereas Quick took a talented Los Angeles team to 8th place. Really it just means that Lundqvist is more of a Hart candidate than a Vezina. And really, it should mean that Tortellini gets the Adams (except that Hitchcock did a better job in a smaller amount of time), because John is really the team MVP.

Getzo5
04-25-2012, 08:51
I think they've both had an outstanding year and I think either is arguable. I'd probably give it to Lundqvist over Quick only for the fact that I believe Lundqvist took a shittier team to challenge for the Presidents' Trophy whereas Quick took a talented Los Angeles team to 8th place. Really it just means that Lundqvist is more of a Hart candidate than a Vezina. And really, it should mean that Tortellini gets the Adams (except that Hitchcock did a better job in a smaller amount of time), because John is really the team MVP.Exactly. lol

That`s my reasoning. And I`d give it to Quick since he had LESS talented defense in front of him.

devilzrule27
04-25-2012, 08:55
Those Kings don't make the playoffs without Quick. He had to carry that team while they played like **** all season long.

Rangers are probably still a playoff team if Biron was their starter.

It should be Quicks Vezina but he wont win it cause he plays on the west coast. Oh well.

devilzrule27
04-25-2012, 08:56

Stop being mean to the Rangers! You're gonna make CJ mad!!!!!!!!!:scared:

Big#D
04-25-2012, 08:58
Exactly. lol

That`s my reasoning. And I`d give it to Quick since he had LESS talented defense in front of him.

i'd argue the less talented part. rangers d-men had a better year. i'm not so sure they're the more talented group. and if they are, not by much.

Getzo5
04-25-2012, 09:00
i'd argue the less talented part. rangers d-men had a better year. i'm not so sure they're the more talented group. and if they are, not by much.Semantics. The bottom line is that they worked better and the system was benefiting Lundqvist more. Quick pretty much had to do it all by himself.

Big#D
04-25-2012, 09:01
Those Kings don't make the playoffs without Quick. He had to carry that team while they played like **** all season long.

Rangers are probably still a playoff team if Biron was their starter.

It should be Quicks Vezina but he wont win it cause he plays on the west coast. Oh well.

without lundqvist, i'd argue that the team is no better than carolina. take that to mean a team anywhere from 7th to 12th.

la finishes out of the playoffs, but still in the 9th to 12th area, probably.

not much of a difference.

honestly, if the kings didn't have such a shitty season offensively, they'd have been fighting for the division title and not just for a playoff spot.

Big#D
04-25-2012, 09:02
Semantics. The bottom line is that they worked better and the system was benefiting Lundqvist more. Quick pretty much had to do it all by himself.

agreed. but i still think it's a toss up either way.

Getzo5
04-25-2012, 09:05
Not really (in reality). Lundqvist will win it based on the hype and the fact he played for a President`s Trophy frontrunner. The fact he`s from NY also helps his case.

For shame.

I still hope those potheads will prove me wrong though.

devilzrule27
04-25-2012, 09:08
Not really (in reality). Lundqvist will win it based on the hype and the fact he played for a President`s Trophy frontrunner. The fact he`s from NY also helps his case.

For shame.

I still hope those potheads will prove me wrong though.

Thats the major reason why he will win it. Half the people who are voting will have barely watched the western conference Kings with the exception of when they made an east coast swing.

Devilsfanatic
04-25-2012, 09:10
Stop being mean to the Rangers! You're gonna make CJ mad!!!!!!!!!:scared:

Seriously? Don't even go there.