PDA

View Full Version : Who actually thinks the devils will make the POs

Lord Ned Stark
12-04-2011, 21:01
I think they will but it will be too close for comfort. if they dont pick it up soon we are fucked.. just stating the obvious though

devilzrule27
12-04-2011, 21:03
I think, as I have thought since the start of the year, we will be in the hunt for the 8th seed. The East is weak so we will have a shot. How we play once Zajac comes back will be telling in terms of were we are at as a team.

guyincognito
12-04-2011, 21:04
50/50... for now. As long as they don't go out and lost 9 games in a row or something.

It's not so much getting in, it's what you do with it, if they finish 4th in the division they're going to get a **** seed and probably go home early anyway

Dr. Doom
I don't want to speak to fast, but I think they have an honest shot. It all depends on if they can break out of this funk and how they respond to Zajac coming back.

Lord Ned Stark
is it possible that a trade is made any time soon? or do you think we're going to stay the course until zajac

devilzrule27
12-04-2011, 21:07
I think the roster is what it's going to be for the most part. The team is in transition, I just can't think of a major shakeup happening yet.

Lord Ned Stark
12-04-2011, 21:14
what do you think about sykora.. i think hes been pretty damn good. esp for his contract.

Dr. Doom
12-04-2011, 21:15
is it possible that a trade is made any time soon? or do you think we're going to stay the course until zajac
I don't see a trade happening.

what do you think about sykora.. i think hes been pretty damn good. esp for his contract.
Sykora has exceeded expectations, but I'm more worried about whether or not he will slow down as the season goes on.

devilzrule27
12-04-2011, 21:18
I don't see a trade happening.

Sykora has exceeded expectations, but I'm more worried about whether or not he will slow down as the season goes on.

Hopefully with a healthy Zajac and the emergence of Henrique we can spread out the playing time to 3 equal lines. Split Parise and Kovy and hopefully have 3 legit scoring lines.

Devilsfanatic
12-04-2011, 21:21
Sykora is already slowing down, but ****, the little ***** makes 650K for the year. He's not a 13 year investment hahaha. I like him, plus he made the refs look dumber than they are.

Anton Volchenkov
12-04-2011, 21:22
Yeah, I have no problem with Sykora. He was more then I expected, to be honest.

guyincognito
12-04-2011, 21:23
I'm waiting for both of our goalies to crack a hip. LOL, Big Show (good code name, I guess) was there for the Kings game and man was he pissed.

devilzrule27
I think Tedenby could give Sykie and Elias a little energy boost if Deboer ever felt comfortable playing him in an offensive role that is...

Lord Ned Stark
quick guys get into a marty or hedberg argument just like old times

Wingman77
12-04-2011, 21:24
Hey Sykora's making what $4.5m less than Rolston? lol Rolston has 5-6 pts and Sykora's got 11......obviously the season is young, but so far so good

Devilsfanatic
12-04-2011, 21:32
I'm waiting for both of our goalies to crack a hip. LOL, Big Show (good code name, I guess) was there for the Kings game and man was he pissed.

LOL. Anyone who doesn't know who Big Show is, it's Marty's brother, Denis Brodeur Jr.

He got upset when Marty was hurt? That was all on the players lol, they just let him run around and do all the work while they watched. It was hilarious.

guyincognito
12-04-2011, 21:39
LOL. Anyone who doesn't know who Big Show is, it's Marty's brother, Denis Brodeur Jr.

He got upset when Marty was hurt? That was all on the players lol, they just let him run around and do all the work while they watched. It was hilarious.

Oh yeah. He was pretty pissed and thought it was worse than it ended up being because he was playing hurt. I can't remember his description of the play but it was hilarious.

Devilsfanatic
12-04-2011, 21:40
Oh yeah. He was pretty pissed and thought it was worse than it ended up being because he was playing hurt. I can't remember his description of the play but it was hilarious.

Oh so he was already hurt? Didn't know that. He was superman on that play. Shot from the point, stopped, rebound, dive and finished.

It was something like that, right off the faceoff.

Wingman77
12-04-2011, 21:40
His brother has some killer facial hair from what I've seen and heard

Devilsfanatic
12-04-2011, 21:42
His brother has some killer facial hair from what I've seen and heard

His brother is fucking scary. He honestly looks like he'd murder someone.

Wingman77
12-04-2011, 21:43
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/282117_159513134126596_113935718684338_332428_6152 862_n.jpg

guyincognito
12-04-2011, 21:43
Oh so he was already hurt? Didn't know that. He was superman on that play. Shot from the point, stopped, rebound, dive and finished.

It was something like that, right off the faceoff.

Very bad bruise. From the description it sounded worse than the one from my Nassau fall. No idea what it was, if it was a shot from practice or if he fucked something up before then. Big Show said he really couldn't use his stick or poke without it hurting.

guyincognito
12-04-2011, 21:45
It still amazes me that no one notices him. He's been out there on and off for years. He's a nice guy too, I guess he looks like he'd rip your throat out so it keeps people away. LOL.

Devilsfanatic
12-04-2011, 21:46
Very bad bruise. From the description it sounded worse than the one from my Nassau fall. No idea what it was, if it was a shot from practice or if he fucked something up before then. Big Show said he really couldn't use his stick or poke without it hurting.

So why the hell was he playing? Maybe it's still bothering him now. Actually, it's probably still after effects from the surgery he had that made him miss half the year.

And I would love to see him do the Big Show thing where he puts his hands up and yells at the crowd. It's unreal how much he looks like him. And Wingman, kudos for finding the picture, I couldn't.

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, WELL IT'S THE BRO SHOW!!! IT'S THE BIG BAD BRO TONIGHT.

guyincognito
12-04-2011, 21:48
So why the hell was he playing? Maybe it's still bothering him now. Actually, it's probably still after effects from the surgery he had that made him miss half the year.

And I would love to see him do the Big Show thing where he puts his hands up and yells at the crowd. It's unreal how much he looks like him. And Wingman, kudos for finding the picture, I couldn't.

He's Marty, and he's old. At his age I wouldn't want to be getting cut unless I absolutely had to.

Devilsfanatic
12-04-2011, 21:50
He's Marty, and he's old. At his age I wouldn't want to be getting cut unless I absolutely had to.

Yeah. I can't believe I'm meeting him tomorrow. I feel like I was put on Earth for this moment.

Wingman77
12-04-2011, 22:30
Yeah. I can't believe I'm meeting him tomorrow. I feel like I was put on Earth for this moment.

You better be getting your avy picture auto'd by Patty, Sykora or both!!

Devilsfanatic
12-04-2011, 23:07
You better be getting your avy picture auto'd by Patty, Sykora or both!!

It's just Kovy and Marty. I plan on Patty and Sykkie on Feb 14th. Valentine's day and I'm going to a hockey game. Pure love.

Vinnie
12-05-2011, 00:16
No. Six regulation wins in 25 games is not a good sign.

SLNP
12-05-2011, 00:37
I said before the season started that we'd be a borderline team. 7th at the highest. The way the season has gone so far has only reinforced that notion.

Wingman77
12-05-2011, 06:13
It's just Kovy and Marty. I plan on Patty and Sykkie on Feb 14th. Valentine's day and I'm going to a hockey game. Pure love.

You coming to NJ for any games this year?

Devilsfanatic
12-05-2011, 06:52
You coming to NJ for any games this year?

$$$ might get tight, but I'm thinking about it. Probably toward the end of the season though. Probably in March. Just depends on my work schedule. I've got my Brodeur 552 wins tee on, my Brodeur Devils jersey, and my massive collection of Brodeur hockey cards. Gonna be a goooood day. Plan on asking for an interview from both guys, doubt they'll say yes, but hey if they say no, it'll be like trying to get a girls number at the bar. I'm used to it!

ILikeItVeryMuch
12-05-2011, 11:40
I love this team more than anyone alive, anyone in my family, anyone who I love or who I have ever loved.

I just do not see it happening this season.

I hope my gut feeling is wrong.

Lord Ned Stark
12-05-2011, 11:45
Same bro. A nice streak (starting tomorrow) will help

Devilsfanatic
12-05-2011, 22:08
I love this team more than anyone alive, anyone in my family, anyone who I love or who I have ever loved.

I feel the same way. I have so many hockey cards that are just Devils. I was happier today than ever. It was 7 hours in line, and 22 years since my first time watching Brodeur play until I finally met him.

Wingman77
12-06-2011, 11:41
$$$ might get tight, but I'm thinking about it. Probably toward the end of the season though. Probably in March. Just depends on my work schedule. I've got my Brodeur 552 wins tee on, my Brodeur Devils jersey, and my massive collection of Brodeur hockey cards. Gonna be a goooood day. Plan on asking for an interview from both guys, doubt they'll say yes, but hey if they say no, it'll be like trying to get a girls number at the bar. I'm used to it!

Yea $$ always sucks lol, try for the throwback game if you can

I have to say, the one thing I "liked" about not making the playoffs was the opportunity we had to go out on the season with a win

That last game was a ton of fun last season between the win, the Nordiques Nation and all the other festivities.....maybe that's just how I feel but it was refreshing for me because I've been at 3 out of the last 4 years playoff games that ended our seasons

Two years in a row is going to be tough if we miss this season, but sometimes you gotta take 2 steps back to take one foward

Mr.Gigantic
12-07-2011, 15:59
Me! Me!

I do! I do!

(Really think Zajac is gonna make a huge difference in the second half.)

Devilsfanatic
12-07-2011, 16:07
94.7 percent success rate on the PK so far, and their best PKer is out haha. They'll regress, I'm sure. But damn it looks good, the next closest is five percent away.

brit
12-08-2011, 10:49
I actually do think they will make it.

They remind me of the 07-08 team, only this roster has far more raw talent. They will pick it up, I am sure of it.

Kovy, Parise and Zajac in full groove would help.

SLNP
12-08-2011, 12:16
i just think our goaltending won't hold up.

82 games is a long season for a 40 year old and however old Moose is.

Big#D
12-08-2011, 12:32
I think Devils fans are in for a frustrating season of being in and out of playoff position. At the beginning of the season, I figured the Devils could finish anywhere from 2nd to 12th in the East, with the most like spot being 7th to 10th. I still think that's about right, other than I'm starting to think 2nd to 5th is going to be a little too tough. The Devils still have a chance to win the division and they still have a chance to completely collapse and get a shitty draft pick.

It's all about managing expectations.

Getzo5
12-08-2011, 12:42
I think Devils fans are in for a frustrating season of being in and out of playoff position. At the beginning of the season, I figured the Devils could finish anywhere from 2nd to 12th in the East, with the most like spot being 7th to 10th. I still think that's about right, other than I'm starting to think 2nd to 5th is going to be a little too tough. The Devils still have a chance to win the division and they still have a chance to completely collapse and get a shitty draft pick.

It's all about managing expectations.Agreed. I went with 7th-11th though.

ILikeItVeryMuch
12-08-2011, 13:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL5Bbu63DQo

Devilsfanatic
12-08-2011, 13:19
Anywhere from 7-13 is where they can be this year. I think Zajac coming back helps, but there needs to be changes in the D. More AV minutes, for starters.

Lord Ned Stark
12-08-2011, 13:21
lets just hope the teams that are in the running with us keep kicking themselves in the ***

Big#D
12-08-2011, 13:32
I'm not even sure how to fix the d-man problems anymore without taking two steps back. Larsson will be good some day, but right now he lets himself get caught behind the play too much. Fayne is probaly the only really reliable d-man we have and he's really no more than a second pairing d-man at the best of times. The Devils can survive with him getting top pairing minutes in the short run, but they'll never be anything if he's their long-term solution.

Tallinder, Volchenkov, and Greene are all second pairing d-men with little upside. Salvador is a third pairing d-man. The Devils need a d-man that'll step up and those are hard to find in the trade/free agent markets. They're going to have to luck into one.

Lord Ned Stark
12-08-2011, 14:19
i don't think anyone would disagree that larsson has #1 dman potential but you are right. it is a glaring weakness

devilzrule27
12-08-2011, 14:22
I'm not even sure how to fix the d-man problems anymore without taking two steps back. Larsson will be good some day, but right now he lets himself get caught behind the play too much. Fayne is probaly the only really reliable d-man we have and he's really no more than a second pairing d-man at the best of times. The Devils can survive with him getting top pairing minutes in the short run, but they'll never be anything if he's their long-term solution.

Tallinder, Volchenkov, and Greene are all second pairing d-men with little upside. Salvador is a third pairing d-man. The Devils need a d-man that'll step up and those are hard to find in the trade/free agent markets. They're going to have to luck into one.

Time and patience.

Getzo5
12-08-2011, 14:53
Time and patience.We don`t have it. Despite what Jim says, and I couldn`t agree with him more (development), we can`t afford to miss the POs again, possibly multiple times. Just can`t.

Something has to be done. Just like BigD said, such a move would probably take us one (IMO) back long term, but we`re not Edmonton. We can`t just sit back and wait while having a superstar player(s) and fairly solid roster. All this team needs is one ******* PP QB PMD and depth (RW, D) (+ a solid stop-gap goalie next year). You can add depth anytime you want. While it`s much tougher to get a real PMD, it`s really necessary at this point.

DATW has his agenda, but he`s absolutely right about this.

devilzrule27
12-08-2011, 14:55
Thats where we fundamentally disagree. If this team wants to be actual contenders they need to have patience and if that means being a bubble team for a few years so be it.

Getzo5
12-08-2011, 15:19
Thats where we fundamentally disagree. If this team wants to be actual contenders they need to have patience and if that means being a bubble team for a few years so be it.Just for the record: I`m NOT saying we should give up on half of our prospects in order to get the missing pieces, but some change has to be made.

I don`t mind few years of growing pains, I`ve been supporting this team since I was a little kid (weird case for a European), this changes nothing for me. I just don`t think it`s necessary. I honestly believe there`s a different way. Compromise of some sort.

devilzrule27
12-08-2011, 15:22
Just for the record: I`m NOT saying we should give up on half of our prospects in order to get the missing pieces, but some change has to be made.

I don`t mind few years of growing pains, I`ve been supporting this team since I was a little kid (weird case for a European), this changes nothing for me. I just don`t think it`s necessary. I honestly believe there`s a different way. Compromise of some sort.

The way I look at it is that the finishing pieces should be added later. Get the development out of the way and once we are ready for the next step then we make our moves to fill whatever holes we have left.

VaxjoDevil
12-08-2011, 15:27
All I know is that this year every ***ing point will be crucial to get. In a way, it makes the season more interesting. I just cannot imagine getting above Pens, Flyers and Rangers in the division. That makes 6th the highest we can get, and that's pretty hard being 4th in a division. The math is a bit against us.

Getzo5
12-08-2011, 15:29
The way I look at it is that the finishing pieces should be added later. Get the development out of the way and once we are ready for the next step then we make our moves to fill whatever holes we have left.So what`s your projected timetable then? Two-three-four years? Do you realize that would most likely mean losing Parise and completely wasting Kovalchuk`s prime?

Dr. Doom
12-08-2011, 15:35
This is my feeling on the defense. It will take at least until next year for it to be better than it is now. Salvador will be gone and we will either bring someone in from free agency or bring Urbom up. The problem with Urbom is we will have to deal with his rookie mistakes. I'm going to sound like DATW but this defense needs more movement. Every defenseman should be able to move the puck well. While Volchenkov isn't great at it, he is better than Salvador at it.

devilzrule27
12-08-2011, 15:36
So what`s your projected timetable then? Two-three-four years? Do you realize that would most likely mean losing Parise and completely wasting Kovalchuk`s prime?

I don't think it will take that long. I'm thinking this year and probably next year. Year 3 is a tossup. Depends on where people are and who is available.

A lot of our young players are pro ready. Its just now a matter of experience.

Getzo5
12-08-2011, 15:40
I don't think it will take that long. I'm thinking this year and probably next year. Year 3 is a tossup. Depends on where people are and who is available.

A lot of our young players are pro ready. Its just now a matter of experience.NSH did too. I see more promising thing from their`s as of now. Though Henrique and Larsson are different dimension, but you already know that.

We`ll see, but two more years without any guarantee of making the POs? Idk pal, idk.

devilzrule27
12-08-2011, 15:43
NSH did too. I see more promising thing from their`s as of now. Though Henrique and Larsson are different dimension, but you already know that.

We`ll see, but two more years without any guarantee of making the POs? Idk pal, idk.

Can't say I'd love it either, haha. But I do think it's the best way to go about it. Then again what the hell do i know. hahaha

VaxjoDevil
12-08-2011, 20:40
Looking at the standings, to reach the playoffs I think Toronto needs to get back to be the team we all know and love.

Lord Ned Stark
03-23-2012, 07:17
Looking at the standings, to reach the playoffs I think Toronto needs to get back to be the team we all know and love.

Mission accomplished. Hehe

vonbonds
03-23-2012, 09:04
Mission accomplished. Hehe

Ha, nice bump!