PDA

View Full Version : Zach Parise - Will he stay or will he go?

onefatsurfer
01-10-2012, 07:27
This article is pretty unnerving...
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2012/01/devils_zach_parise_money_matte.html

“For me that’s probably the biggest thing,” Parise said. “The money is definitely important. That’s real life, let’s face it. I’m not going to say it’s not. That’s realistic. But most important for me is being competitive and having a chance to win the Stanley Cup.”

“I think in my situation you have to look down the road,” Parise said. “What’s happened, the lack of us doing well in the playoffs the last few years, is irrelevant. I have to look past that and look at how are we building for the future?
“We made some mistakes before. We lost some series we should’ve won. But what do you do now? It’s about how we’re going to do in the next few years.”

Parise’s father, J.P., was recently quoted in The Wall Street Journal saying: “If you go back to the first part of the year, he would have gotten out of there in a minute.”
Not so, Zach said.
“There is no way he meant this year. He had to have meant last year,” the 27-year-old Minnesota native said. “I talk to him all the time. He knows how much fun I’m having and how much I like Pete (DeBoer) as a coach.”
J.P. was also quoted as saying: “He's overly loyal, and he's not going to rush into anything. He's always loved the New Jersey Devils. He's been extremely loyal to the organization, to his teammates. But this is business now.”
Zach smiled.
“That,” he said, “is true.”

What do you guys think? Is he going to stay or go?

Personally, I think the pieces are coming together for us to do well. We haven't seen this team with a full lineup, and I personally think that if we had a full, healthy lineup and a trade deadline acquisition of a decent defenseman and/or RW, we're right there. Hopefully, Zach sees things the same way that I do.

Zajac's Bowl Cut
01-10-2012, 07:30
for some reason I just have a bad feeling about it. if he leaves, I will be crushed, but I can't say I will be surprised.

I personally think that if we don't have our ownership situation settled by this summer, that he is a goner

I also think that if he makes it to July 1, he is a goner

onefatsurfer
01-10-2012, 07:32
for some reason I just have a bad feeling about it. if he leaves, I will be crushed, but I can't say I will be surprised.

I personally think that if we don't have our ownership situation settled by this summer, that he is a goner

I also think that if he makes it to July 1, he is a goner
Unfortunately, I agree with you :(
I think he's a goner.

Devilsfanatic
01-10-2012, 07:34
If he goes, he goes. The team seems to be having fun and he is the leader. They are on the right track, and if he sees Ranger dollars, I can't help but feel a bit of a disregard for him after that.

Zajac's Bowl Cut
01-10-2012, 07:38
I can't see him going to the Rangers realistically

also, if he DOES leave, we better use that money to go get a stud DMan somehow

onefatsurfer
01-10-2012, 07:39
I also believe that the Langenbrunner situation last season was a huge negative.

Dr. Doom
01-10-2012, 07:45
I don't know what I will do if Zach leaves

onefatsurfer
01-10-2012, 08:01
I expect him to either sign during the All Star break or leave via free agency. On 2/1, I will be sad if he's not signed.

vonbonds
01-10-2012, 08:01
I too am fearful Zach will leave but nothing I can do about it so I don't care. If he does go that clears up cap space to address the defense or right wing scoring or who knows, maybe a top tier center (just spitballing here). Of course I hope he stays but only time will tell.

Clarkson Falls Down
01-10-2012, 08:28
Well this is what I believe: there's no way that Lou is discussing extension with him during the season (it's an awful philosophy but whatever). So that means he's going to July 1.

So instead of competing only against themselves, the Devils are going to be competing with other teams. And who knows about the ownership situation.

So I'm not optimistic.

Big#D
01-10-2012, 08:34
I'm in the "if he goes, he goes" camp as well. The Devils have lost better players and better leaders than him before either through trade or through free agency or through injury/sickness. They've survived and they will continue to survive regardless of who is on the team. They might suffer for a few years, but eventually this team will work its way back to being competitive. Management has set a course for this team to follow and, unless the ownership decide to go a different direction, I think that management in the future will continue with the same approach to building a winning team as what Lou has put in place for the team since he started.

Classic Devil
01-10-2012, 08:38
I think it all comes down to ownership stability.

VaxjoDevil
01-10-2012, 08:39
I keep thinking my bills will be just as annoying to pay whether he stays or leaves. But to me, there is no sugarcoating: if he leaves, it's awful for the team, and a huge failure for the organization.

From what I read, it seems that he really likes DeBoer. So, DeBoer, together with good results this season for the team, will be what could keep him. That's why this season is so important.

VaxjoDevil
01-10-2012, 08:43
I remember commenting a while ago that Parise had started to give away the puck un very uncharacteristically ways. Not that I am especially hockey-smart, bit it's funny that I see this quote from the Wall Street Journal article:

"Finally, Devils coach Peter DeBoer sat Parise down for a tutorial. DeBoer showed him a succession of video clips, which revealed Parise's new tendency to give away the puck. "Pete said, 'If I'm a defender, I'd rather have you throw it away than have you turn your back and hold on to it,'" Parise said. "I don't know if a light went off or what, but I thought, 'That makes sense.'""

Tao Jones
01-10-2012, 08:50
I realize JP Parise is an NHL alumnus, but how many other fathers have spoken to the media about their NHL sons' contract status and have had the result be positive for the team attempting to retain said player?

Clarkson Falls Down
01-10-2012, 14:19
TGfireandice Tom Gulitti
Zach Parise: “I’ve said before, I’ve always liked to play in New Jersey. I want to stay here and nothing has changed.”

guyincognito
01-10-2012, 14:48
I think he's gone barring CBA complications drying up the market. And I don't think it has anything to do with him, I think the Devils made their decision two years ago, especially if they knew about their financial situation blowing up. If they couldn't come up with anything last July, it's hard to believe they'll come up with anything this July with competition.

Especially with the $11M years kicking it, if they have to budget, or go into league stewardship to set up a bankruptcy sale, you can forget about it.

onefatsurfer
01-10-2012, 17:24
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/parise_i_want_to_stay_here_and_nothing_has_changed/

This makes me think that he is looking at other teams and weighing his options. Hopefully he decides that the Devils are in as good of shape going forward as any of the other teams, so why not stay? My heart is telling me he's gone, though.

Vinnie
01-10-2012, 18:20
I wonder how many people will still be bragging about Kovy's cap hit if/when the insane cash he's getting paid the next 6 years keeps us from retaining Parise. The two of them make $12M this year, the next 5 years Kovalchuk makes over $11M alone. But I'm just a hater.

I do think we have a good chance of keeping him if we somehow get a new owner with deep pockets in the next few months.

devilzrule27
01-10-2012, 19:02
If he goes he goes. I don't care anymore at this point. Whatever he wants to do he can do it, wont bother me one way or another.

jkrdevil
01-11-2012, 16:40
I wonder how many people will still be bragging about Kovy's cap hit if/when the insane cash he's getting paid the next 6 years keeps us from retaining Parise. The two of them make $12M this year, the next 5 years Kovalchuk makes over $11M alone. But I'm just a hater.

I do think we have a good chance of keeping him if we somehow get a new owner with deep pockets in the next few months.

This is what I don't understand. What is the point of the crazy contract if you don't plan to be a cap team all 15 years of the deal? Because if you budget actual dollars made then just do a normal contract because you aren't taking advantage of a cap hit. Two years ago they had to know the financial aspects were coming down the road (apparently some of it already occurring).

onefatsurfer
01-23-2012, 05:30
After tomorrow's game is when I think Zach will start to negotiate. 6 days off should be plenty of time to hammer out a new contract.

Big#D
01-23-2012, 06:22
After tomorrow's game is when I think Zach will start to negotiate. 6 days off should be plenty of time to hammer out a new contract.

Players don't generally start negotiations. It's a sign of weakness. They wait for an offer and then counter it with something ridiculous before finally settling for something that just makes them overpaid.

onefatsurfer
01-23-2012, 07:42
Players don't generally start negotiations. It's a sign of weakness. They wait for an offer and then counter it with something ridiculous before finally settling for something that just makes them overpaid.

I meant more along the lines of "now that there's a break in the schedule, Lou will present his offer to Parise"

Big#D
01-23-2012, 08:31
I meant more along the lines of "now that there's a break in the schedule, Lou will present his offer to Parise"

I'm wondering if the "agree to disagree" one year contract came about with both sides realizing that Parise wanted to see what was out there on July 1 and they aren't going to bother negotiating until the offseason. I have no basis for that feeling (other than years of not signing upcoming free agents until July), but I just get the feeling that both sides have agreed to not bother until needed.

Zajac's Bowl Cut
01-23-2012, 08:33
as I said on HF:

its clear to me that Zach really does want to stay. I also don't think that the Devils would have offered him the C without having every intention of keeping him. its not like they didn't know about the financial issues this past July

that being said, if we don't sort out the ownership issues I have a hard time believing we'll be able to come up with the cash to sign him, even if he wants to stay at a reasonable price

Dr. Doom
01-23-2012, 08:34
I'm wondering if the "agree to disagree" one year contract came about with both sides realizing that Parise wanted to see what was out there on July 1 and they aren't going to bother negotiating until the offseason. I have no basis for that feeling (other than years of not signing upcoming free agents until July), but I just get the feeling that both sides have agreed to not bother until needed.
I think the one year contract was because of the team's financial situation. Lou couldn't commit to the contract for a while until more was known about it, so they agreed on a one year deal. I personally believe they had agreed to something, but it just couldn't go through yet because of the money commitment. It could be why Parise hates talking about the contract because he has to lie :laugh:

Devilsfanatic
01-23-2012, 14:25
He will do what I tell him to do.

vonbonds
01-24-2012, 09:21
He will do what I tell him to do.

Touche! :laugh:

I am starting to wonder what Parise is really worth at this point as far as a contract goes. I know he is coming back from a major knee injury but he is just a very good player at this point, he hasn't returned to his former self. His timing for that knee injury was as bad for him as it was for Lou.

Just babbling out loud now.

Big#D
01-24-2012, 09:28
I think Parise came back and found a guy who is on his line that plays a similar game to what he played but is younger and another guy who plays best when someone feeds him for a fast break or for the big shot, so he adapted his game and has become more of a puck distributor than a garbage goal scorer.

vonbonds
01-24-2012, 09:47
I think Parise came back and found a guy who is on his line that plays a similar game to what he played but is younger and another guy who plays best when someone feeds him for a fast break or for the big shot, so he adapted his game and has become more of a puck distributor than a garbage goal scorer.

I never thought of it like that, interesting take. If this is the case he is going to make less money overall and even more of a reason to keep him for being an ultimate team player. I am a fan of his obviously...I am just not sure what our chances are versus what he is worth.

Devilsfanatic
01-24-2012, 09:59
To know what Parise is thinking, I just have to think like Parise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqlXWqiOa5Y

Anton Volchenkov
01-28-2012, 15:27
Lamoriello to NYPost:“Everybody can do all the speculating they want. But I can assure you, we’re here to win and we will do what it takes.”

guyincognito
01-28-2012, 15:46
Yeah, it's not happening. It wasn't happening last year either, probably wasn't happening two years ago, but you don't want to harp on those kinds of things on HF. People get annoyed.

I don't see how they can be around on 7/1 to throw around money. Necessitating upfront money to sign a deal will automatically eliminate the Devils. Is he going to take 1-6 again? And can we even afford that? :laugh: Part of getting near the floor, if that is necessary, would be letting him go and getting Brodeur to play for far less if he doesn't retire. That's the easiest way to keep things intact.

onefatsurfer
01-30-2012, 06:18
**** these money problems

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 14:01
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=44021379&postcount=914

**** me sideways. Twice.

Clarkson Falls Down
02-12-2012, 14:03
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=44021379&postcount=914

**** me sideways. Twice.

He needs to shut his mouth.

guyincognito
02-12-2012, 14:27
What kind of nutball sits through interviews to source out comments. :laugh: I'm guessing he didn't actually say anything untrue, but this is just part of the build towards the inevitable.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 14:40
If he leaves I won't be mad at Parise, I'll be mad at Lou. Granted there is probably a lot that we don't know about that is going on, the fact that he refuses to negotiate during the season is ludicrous. If we lose Zach we better be confident that we can get Suter.

Vinnie
02-12-2012, 14:47
I sold my Parise jersey like a week after he signed that one year deal last summer, so I'm ready. It would suck balls if he signed with the Rags but it wouldn't surprise me at all. If I were a UFA this year the Rangers would be near the top of my list.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 14:52
Meh, the interview wasn't anything out of the ordinary. People are looking into things way too much. If you go to round two or three with this team, I doubt he bolts.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 14:54
As long as Lou doesn't lowball him, he will stay. But that is what I'm worried about.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 14:55
Many, many Devils have said they'd like to play in front of a full building. Who wouldn't? I'd love to as well. One day, those will be full.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 14:56
Many, many Devils have said they'd like to play in front of a full building. Who wouldn't? I'd love to as well. One day, those will be full.
They will also be full and loud if they win. There was an interview Parise did where he mentioned that the team needs to give the fans something to cheer about.

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 14:57
What kind of nutball sits through interviews to source out comments. :laugh: I'm guessing he didn't actually say anything untrue, but this is just part of the build towards the inevitable.I`m not sure, but we should thank this "nutball" for the information. haha

Much ado bout nothin`? Definitely. One way or the other, it was very unprofessional. I`m disappoint.

------------------------------------

I`m not going to be mad at Lou. There`s not much he can do if his powers are limited and honestly, does anybody think this is his choice? Doubt it.

I`m not going to be mad at Parise either. It`s his life. But yeah, I`m going to break something if he decides to join the Rangers or the Flyers.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 14:59
Rangers probably can't afford him with Drury and Redden being on the summer cap, they'd probably have to trade Gaborik.

guyincognito
Looks like it came from Devilsrule, I'm not totally surprised about that. And of course they take it as some kind of personal insult. Mutants.

Devilsfanatic
Looks like it came from Devilsrule, I'm not totally surprised about that. And of course they take it as some kind of personal insult. Mutants.

That site still exists? ROFL.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 15:01
Yeah, I don't think he would be able to go to the Rangers. They would have to really go after him and clear room for it. I also think he would possibly not go there out of respect. Hopefully Marty talks some sense into him.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 15:02
What was so unprofessional exactly?

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 15:05
What was so unprofessional exactly?Of all people I`d not expected you to be asking this question. I mean, really?

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 15:07
I listened to it. He said it's fun when the building is full and he wishes the building could be full all the time, so what?

guyincognito
02-12-2012, 15:09
What was so unprofessional exactly?

Telling a passive assed version of the truth. Apparently it's better if he says "WE HAVE THE GREATEST FANS IN ALL OF HOCKEY, EVEN WHEN WE PLAY (insert SE or WC team here) IN OCTOBER!" (interviewer snickers) "NO, REALLY!"

then Devilsrule goes after the radio guy. :laugh:

of course apparently in the same interview (I don't have enough free time to sit through that) he puts over the organization and Jersey later on. but let's not mention that part.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 15:11
lol, yeah I don't get it. But whatever, different strokes, I guess. I'm sure he likes it here, but they both want assurances.

guyincognito
02-12-2012, 15:15
Devils fans are notoriously hypersensitive. I mean in this case I guess I understand it, because he's 99.9% gone, but he's not the reason he's 99.9% gone. Team could go bankrupt, be owned by the league, have a $50M payroll and he could go to Vancouver and 2/3rds of the people in the building would boo him every time he touched the puck when he comes back.

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 15:22
Oh c`mon guys, I`m not being hypersensitive. Stop acting like there was no other way for him to say that, no middle ground. That is simply not true.

Devilsfanatic
I'm not willing to say he's 99.9% gone. I think there's a chance he stays. They have a lot of money coming off the cap and still have guys on rookie deals to fill in spots. They can afford him while they sort out investors. If they really want to keep him, I have no doubt they can.

Devilsfanatic
Oh c`mon guys, I`m not being hypersensitive. Stop acting like there was no other way for him to say that, no middle ground. That is simply not true.

And what would you have said? Never mind that he also pumped the organizations tires as well.

guyincognito
02-12-2012, 15:25

We don't just have one fan. :P Go and read back that thread and keep reading it, over the next day or two and you'll see the hypersensitivity. The first part is taking it way out of context, to the point of inventing a new context to it.

DF, I guess we'll see but I expect it to be 99.9%. We have to field a complete team next season and who would sign a long term contract with a team that goes under when you have no certainty of the future direction of the team, not to mention this makes the NTC/NMC stuff hard to do, which means you could get Jeff Carter'd.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 15:35
We don't just have one fan. :P Go and read back that thread and keep reading it, over the next day or two and you'll see the hypersensitivity. The first part is taking it way out of context, to the point of inventing a new context to it.

DF, I guess we'll see but I expect it to be 99.9%. We have to field a complete team next season and who would sign a long term contract with a team that goes under when you have no certainty of the future direction of the team, not to mention this makes the NTC/NMC stuff hard to do, which means you could get Jeff Carter'd.

It's best to just not think about it, in my estimation. I'm focused on this season at hand. Making the playoffs and doing well there is the most important part of it all. I really don't care about 7/1/12 as much as I do about a successful playoff drive. Only thing that's important.

And I went through that thread on HF, and good God. What a bunch of babies.

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 15:37
And what would you have said? Never mind that he also pumped the organizations tires as well.You really want me to answer this question? Maybe something like "yeah, it`s great to play there, but NJ fans are just as passionate and I appreciate their love for this team".

Whatever, just re-watch Kovalchuk`s interviews. lmao

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 15:41
Meh, off the cuff, when your response comes direct without hesitation, you say whatever. Kovalchuk is rehearsed with Atlanta.

guyincognito
02-12-2012, 15:48
Meh, off the cuff, when your response comes direct without hesitation, you say whatever. Kovalchuk is rehearsed with Atlanta.

Yep, and it's 100% bullplop. It's not like he signed here out of having a choice of 20 teams. There were 2, one offered $80M, the other offered $100M, and it wasn't like that was done in some simple peaceful manner, hell, even on the second deal he didn't really give anything back, after all that trouble in the first place. :laugh: It took a freaking labor negotiation to get him signed.

I'm just not big on the little white lies. When someone like Zharky gives that impassioned speech at the end of the season (well, at least what you could understand), I buy it and love it. Not so much in that case.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 15:54
Yeah, the faked answers are, well, like fake orgasms. I'd rather make a gal cum for real than have her go all Priya Rai on me.

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 15:56
I know it`s bullshit, but I`m not just some random fan who`s clueless about these things. Every professional lies to an extent. Lou, DeBo, politicians, whoever. It`s just the way it is. As I said in the other thread, I woulnd`t say a word if he was some nobody, but he isn`t. He`s a 27 old vet, a captain, an upcoming UFA, more than 5 years playing under Lou Lamoriello, the Godfather. He should know better, seriously.

Maybe this is why Lou doesn`t want to allow them to use Twitter. roflcopter

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 16:00
He also called Lou, Mr. Lamoriello. That's respect.

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 16:05
He also called Lou, Mr. Lamoriello. That's respect.Brain wash. :sarcasm: Have you ever seen Clarkson referred to him in any other way than as Mr.Lamoriello?

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 16:08
No, he's learning from Clarkbar. And honestly, Parise hasn't brought so much to the team where I'm like, OUTSTANDING!

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 16:10
Stop sounding like Muttley! haha

But you`re right, as much as I love him as a player, he hasn`t been anything special, definitely not a game-breaker. That said, his supporting cast was meh at best and I can`t say anything bad about his work ethic. I want to see what he can do next year.

Clarkson Falls Down
02-12-2012, 16:17
Yeah I'm not being hypersensitive either. I just get a phony feeling from the guy sometimes. I feel Kovalchuk is more genuine, but if he said something like that I'm sure this fanbase would be giving a total 180 probably.

Just give a more rinky dink answer and be done with it. Would be nice to hear some honesty from these players when they're being interviewed by the local media - which Stevens and Holik did plenty of.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 16:17
Wait, what? Elias and Kovalchuk and Henrique aren't good enough for him? I think he's going to St. Louis or wherever Jamie is. Although, maybe Hitch won't appeal to him. He likes the style PDB is bringing, and it caters to him, he's the captain and he likes the state and the team and his teammates. I'm really not as worried as everyone else.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 16:18
Yeah I'm not being hypersensitive either. I just get a phony feeling from the guy sometimes. I feel Kovalchuk is more genuine, but if he said something like that I'm sure this fanbase would be giving a total 180 probably.

Just give a more rinky dink answer and be done with it. Would be nice to hear some honesty from these players when they're being interviewed by the local media.

Kovalchuk is well practiced. All the things he's said in NJ, he said in Atlanta. We know how that turned out. I think Kovalchuk is just as big a phony as anyone. Just my .02

And what was that crap about Kathryn Tappen? What a terribad interviewer.

Clarkson Falls Down
02-12-2012, 16:23
Kovalchuk is well practiced. All the things he's said in NJ, he said in Atlanta. We know how that turned out. I think Kovalchuk is just as big a phony as anyone. Just my .02

Parise has learned from Langenbrunner - the biggest phony of them all IMO. I just think that Kovalchuk is more genuine day to day. Sure he chased the money, but everyone does that. And everyone says that they want to stay with the team.

I'm sure when Parise bolts he'll have different feelings to share about NJ.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 16:24
I'm not sure how much weight Zach has in these negotiations. He is playing ok and is an important part to the team, but how much can you reward someone on a season they had 2 seasons ago and before a major injury. With the emergence of Henrique and Tedenby as a possibility to fill in, we wouldn't be hurting too much on offense. I hate to say it but if we brought in a guy like Suter, we may be better off. Zach deserves his pay day but I'm not sure how much he is realistically looking for.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 16:25
I think the only thing genuine about Kovy is his enthusiasm.

Langenbrunner sucks, lets just forget about him. I'm still not ready to say Zacharias is out. Not yet.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 16:27
He definitely isn't a goner yet. I would say 50-50 at this point. If we make the playoffs I say 75-25. If we win the first round I say 100% he is back. I'm afraid Langs is brain washing him though.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 16:28
Langenbrunner blows.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 16:32
I'm really sick of his attitude, but I'm one of those people that was sick of him a year/2 years before he was gone. I could see him half-assing it on the ice and feeling he was entitled to the world. I'm willing to say he is one of the most unprofessional players. I do like how he believes that his feelings weren't shown on the ice. What a load of crap.

He is still an important Devil in history, but lost his way.

guyincognito
02-12-2012, 16:35
Parise has learned from Langenbrunner - the biggest phony of them all IMO. I just think that Kovalchuk is more genuine day to day. Sure he chased the money, but everyone does that. And everyone says that they want to stay with the team.

I'm sure when Parise bolts he'll have different feelings to share about NJ.

And they'll probably be right. The psychology of this stuff is always interesting, you have two guys who don't really say anything and don't have defined personalities (of course this is the Devils so this isn't allowed), but all we have are their actions. Parise hasn't even taken an action yet. Kovalchuk did, but we define one as an *** and another one as genuine when his actions were pretty lame in retrospect.

guyincognito
02-12-2012, 16:38
Oh, and if I ever see Muttley, I'm gonna beat his brains in, in front of his children, they'll probably thank me. :laugh: Dunno what he has against me but at least I'm not 45 and playing a character on a hockey message board where the average age is like 19.

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 16:44
Oh, and if I ever see Muttley, I'm gonna beat his brains in, in front of his children, they'll probably thank me. :laugh: Dunno what he has against me but at least I'm not 45 and playing a character on a hockey message board where the average age is like 19.Couldn`t have said it better myself. lol

And I always knew that about Langenbrunner, always liked him as a player, never liked him as a person, CFD is spot on.

guyincognito
02-12-2012, 16:47
Langs had been out there for a long time, though. Pouty, odd, fighting with teammates, quitting in the middle of play to argue with refs, etc... none of that is actually here.

Clarkson Falls Down
02-12-2012, 16:51
Most pro athletes are phonies in terms of what they tell the media, it's just a way of life because most don't want to say the wrong thing or drag little things out and all that

I agree. But don't choose to give a sorta honest answer to some out of town radio host, give an honest answer after a bad loss to the local reporters, TV guys, etc.

vonbonds
02-12-2012, 16:52
He definitely isn't a goner yet. I would say 50-50 at this point. If we make the playoffs I say 75-25. If we win the first round I say 100% he is back. I'm afraid Langs is brain washing him though.

I wish it would be like that. I think it will all come down to money and if the Devils have the cap space for him (meaning can they spend to the cap). I am starting to wonder if he is even a fit for this team right now. How many all-world LW do we need? It pains to say it but his cap hit would probably be better spent elsewhere. That being said my heart wants him in a Devils jersey for a long time going forward.

Most pro athletes are phonies in terms of what they tell the media, it's just a way of life because most don't want to say the wrong thing or drag little things out and all that

Yup. Nothing more to add other than you are spot on.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 16:54
Oh, and if I ever see Muttley, I'm gonna beat his brains in, in front of his children, they'll probably thank me. :laugh: Dunno what he has against me but at least I'm not 45 and playing a character on a hockey message board where the average age is like 19.

What did he say to you?

VaxjoDevil
02-12-2012, 16:55
I'm with Getzo on this. That was fucking idiotic how he put it.

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 16:59
I'm with Getzo on this. That was fucking idiotic how he put it.We`re Euros, we`re conservative and reserved brah.

VaxjoDevil
02-12-2012, 17:03
We`re Euros, we`re conservative and reserved brah.

Zach needs to be reminded that we "silent people" are paying $100 plus a ticket and are paying for his salary. Not to mention people from NJ has to drive 30 min to an hour to get to that fucking arena, while New Yorkers take a 10 minute train ride to get there.

That comment pissed me off royally. There is honest and there is tone death. This is like Mitt Romney of hockey or something.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 17:05
Zach needs to be reminded that we "silent people" are paying $100 plus a ticket and are paying for his salary. Not to mention people from NJ has to drive 30 min to an hour to get to that fucking arena, while New Yorkers take a 10 minute train ride to get there.

That comment pissed me off royally.

Please, NJ transit is available from almost anywhere in NJ. It's probably cheaper than parking too. There's too many excuses from our fan base and while they were OK for the CAA, because that was a disaster, it's not Kosher for the PC.

Hypersensitive is correct.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 17:06

That comment pissed me off royally. There is honest and there is tone death. This is like Mitt Romney of hockey or something.
Not to mention those of us that drive 5 hours for opening night to watch them get killed by Philly.

VaxjoDevil
02-12-2012, 17:07
I just realized it's tone deaf, of course.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 17:09
Please, NJ transit is available from almost anywhere in NJ. It's probably cheaper than parking too. There's too many excuses from our fan base and while they were OK for the CAA, because that was a disaster, it's not Kosher for the PC.

Some people are just afraid of Newark.

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 17:09
I like deaf metal too. haha

Question:

Was it a good decision to build Prudential in Newark? Were there different options? Just asking because I don`t know **** about it.

You live there, you tell me.

vonbonds
02-12-2012, 17:10
This might be a unique situation where Lou could trade him at the deadline if he feels there isn't a legitimate shot to resign him. I have made peace with losing Zach but not so much losing him for nothing. Who knows what will happen and only time will tell. I am not losing a wink of sleep over this but it is annoying nonetheless.

I suppose being busy with work has hurt my browsing time and I haven't poked around HF as much lately...sounds like it is for the better right now.

vonbonds
02-12-2012, 17:10

Huh? +1 :laugh:

VaxjoDevil
02-12-2012, 17:12
Not to mention those of us that drive 5 hours for opening night to watch them get killed by Philly.

Yeah, that game. House was completely full and the crowd was really ready to be loud. Then they sucked a huge dong :facepalm:

VaxjoDevil
02-12-2012, 17:13

You are excused for not having a clue what you are talking about.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 17:19

Question:

Was it a good decision to build Prudential in Newark? Were there different options? Just asking because I don`t know **** about it.

There are a lot of possibilities with it's location. The ability for transportation by train was probably the biggest factor. It may not have been the best financial decision to build a new arena but it's too late for that now. It is hard to ask my feelings about Newark because I grew up only 10-15 min away and 2 towns over. I have no problem with Newark. My friends and I drive there for hot dogs drunk in the middle of the night all of the time and we don't think about it at all. That isn't something that is common with people though.

Yeah, that game. House was completely full and the crowd was really ready to be loud. Then they sucked a huge dong :facepalm:
I lost my voice by the end of the 2nd period because of how loud I was yelling. I'm sorry but they have a problem showing up for big games and it has been a problem for years. It happens in the playoffs too. They just bring stinkers at home when the crowd is all amped up.

VaxjoDevil
02-12-2012, 17:28

Question:

I think it was good for New Jersey as a state, it brings in dollars and it brings life to Newark. But what many don't understand is how different it is to have a fanbase built on a state and not a city. I live one hour drive from the arena, and that's not considered too bad.Since games start at 7, and traffic throughout the state is clogged from 5 to 6, and I want to watch warmups, I need to leave between 4.30 and 5. Lucky I don't have a job that I can't leave before 5, and/or live even further away from the arena. And NJTransit is expensive, plus 99% of people have to drive to a station, which during that time could take forever.

This would be with anywhere they built it, I guess. But it sure would be interesting to see a map of how spread out a geography the crowd comes from with Devils and any other team. I dunno.

Anybody know if there were other locations thought of for Pru? I can't really think of anywhere else to build it.

Devilsfanatic
02-12-2012, 17:29
You are excused for not having a clue what you are talking about.

I've mapped it. The train/bus is a fine option. The arena is far more accessible now. Lets face it, even in NJ the amount of Rags fans is, well, too many. There really wasn't too many places you could have put that thing. Especially in central NJ.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 17:31
One of the biggest problems is that a lot of Devils fans are younger and can't afford to go to a lot of games yet.

Getzo5
02-12-2012, 17:32
Looks good to me.

I gotta disagree big time about not liking him as a person......I see him a few times each year through work and he has always been good to meMaybe I didn`t word it well/we`re not on the same page. I didn`t like him as a captian/certain things but that`s too specific. He might be a good guy in private life though. I don`t know him personally.

Dr. Doom
02-12-2012, 17:32
Hoboken was seriously considered and is where McMullen wanted to build the arena

Here's a rendering of what it would have looked like

http://www.sinkcombs.com/projects/arena/Devils/Devils2.jpg
Hoboken would have been similar to Newark, but it wouldn't have brought the "ghetto" aspect.

Clarkson Falls Down
02-12-2012, 17:39
People are hypersensitive because these forums are a younger group and try to get to as many games as possible. That's why they (we) get ticked off. These are the die hards on here, that would be at every game if they had the means.

An athlete should have bigger concerns, such as the team, other than worrying about fans. It's not like it draws like in Phoenix. Worry about playing the game and be happy that you are so lucky to do so.

VaxjoDevil
02-12-2012, 17:51
I remember Moose interview after that game, he said all the right things.

Completely agree with the part that players should have bigger concerns, but to be fair he got a bit fished in to it by the question.

And funny thing is, I have been to two other arenas and my *** they were louder. The Philly game against Sharks was completely silent for two periods, not even a chant going. Ottawa was meh. Loud when they scored, otherwise nothing special. It's not like Pru is a graveyard and other arenas are like a Premier League game.

Clarkson Falls Down
02-12-2012, 17:57
I remember Moose interview after that game, he said all the right things.

Completely agree with the part that players should have bigger concerns, but to be fair he got a bit fished in to it by the question.

And funny thing is, I have been to two other arenas and my *** they were louder. The Philly game against Sharks was completely silent for two periods, not even a chant going. Ottawa was meh. Loud when they scored, otherwise nothing special. It's not like Pru is a graveyard and other arenas are like a Premier League game.

No I agree about the fishing part, but that comes with the territory of dealing with hacks like that. Sometimes you just gotta pick your spots though to be a little honest.

And that's the **** I hated about Langenbrunner. It's part of the territory with being a pro athlete. If you don't like it, go be an accountant or something, where no one will pay attention to you.

When you're a pro athlete, you gotta take the good with the bad.

onefatsurfer
02-12-2012, 18:27
it's a pain in the *** to take NJ transit to the stadium. It's also like $22 per ticket. You definitely don't have a clue about this, DF.

onefatsurfer
02-12-2012, 18:33
Also, Zach is gone, IMO.

Clarkson Falls Down
02-13-2012, 08:06
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2012/02/for_devils_bringing_back_zach.html

Another Parise article. I don't know what the point of it was though.

Zajac's Bowl Cut
02-13-2012, 08:29
as I've said, I've already resigned myself to the fact that he won't be back, just like I did with Kovalchuk

then I won't be disappointed (at least not nearly as much)

vonbonds
02-13-2012, 08:59
I might be in the minority but I would rather have Kovy than Zach long term if I could only have one. Zach is a beast and better all around player but I wonder how well his body will hold up with his playing style over time.

onefatsurfer
02-13-2012, 09:47
I have to say, it's a good thing we have 1 superstar winger locked up on a lifetime contract.. Really dampens the blow

onefatsurfer
02-14-2012, 03:28
Our foward situation looks like this heading into July 1 (not those particular lines, just what we'll have to fill in)

Kovy/Zajac/Clarkson
Zubrus/Elias/?
?/Henrique/?
Boulton/Josefson/?

In the next 1-2 seasons, Elias and Zubrus both have expiring contracts heading into their late 30's
That's really not that bad when you consider the emergence of Henrique, hopefully tedenbys progression, and free agency...

Dr. Doom
02-14-2012, 06:18
That's really not that bad when you consider the emergence of Henrique, hopefully tedenbys progression, and free agency...
adding a high quality d-man would lessen the blow too

Classic Devil
02-14-2012, 06:24

Tedenby and Josefson are the elements that worry me. We need them to progress very badly, and I haven't seen much lately to suggest that they are.

Zajac's Bowl Cut
02-14-2012, 06:34
I'm not worried about either of them yet

Tedenby is small and he needs to learn to play in the NHL with his size. to be quite honest he has shown the effort in improving defensively to me, but he just isn't very good at it yet. Josefson has had to deal with 2 pretty significant injuries. I think if he gets a full offseason/season consecutively of being healthy he will be good.

Clarkson Falls Down
02-14-2012, 06:34
Tedenby and Josefson are the elements that worry me. We need them to progress very badly, and I haven't seen much lately to suggest that they are.

Yeah those two have to start showing why they were first round picks, and soon.

Dr. Doom
02-14-2012, 06:36
Yeah those two have to start showing why they were first round picks, and soon.
They are 21 and 20 respectively...

Clarkson Falls Down
02-14-2012, 06:39
They are 21 and 20 respectively...

And they need to show why they are first round picks. I know their ages.

Dr. Doom
02-14-2012, 06:41
And they need to show why they are first round picks. I know their ages.
I think they have already shown why they were first round picks by the games they have played in the NHL. It isn't normal for them to have played like they have at their age. The scoring will come. They don't look like they don't belong and that is what is important.

Clarkson Falls Down
02-14-2012, 06:47
I think they have already shown why they were first round picks by the games they have played in the NHL. It isn't normal for them to have played like they have at their age. The scoring will come. They don't look like they don't belong and that is what is important.

What I'm saying is that I don't expect them to be finished products, but if Zach leaves they need to step up.

onefatsurfer
02-14-2012, 06:54
They won't be able to replace Zach, but hopefully the added year of experience for each of them and Henrique (and Palmieri and Larsson, etc) will make up for his departure and the aging of our vets.. The goal isn't to plug someone into his spot, it's to maintain the same level of scoring while also preventing the same number of goals. Whether that's done by one person or committee, it doesn't really matter to me.

JimEIV
02-15-2012, 10:16
Interesting that Zidlicky wants out of Minnesota because he is being stifled and wants to go to New Jersey......

I wonder how this fact plays into the whole Parise thing.

My Personal feeling is Parise will test the open market and give the Devils almost matching rights...He wants to be paid and if the Devils can't do it he wont be here.

vonbonds
02-15-2012, 10:21
Interesting that Zidlicky wants out of Minnesota because he is being stifled and wants to go to New Jersey......

I wonder how this fact plays into the whole Parise thing.

My Personal feeling is Parise will test the open market and give the Devils almost matching rights...He wants to be paid and if the Devils can't do it he wont be here.

I really can't blame him. I always root for the home town discount but who can really blame anyone for wanting the most money possible. It isn't like the owners are any different. Hell, I am wondering about the other side if it is greener or not in my own career. I just know I won't like it but I won't hold it against him if leaves for more money, that is life after all as an adult.

Getzo5
02-15-2012, 10:34
IMO it`s always been about:

1) can we stay competitive/make the POs? (>.500) --- check
2) is the coach a good fit? (system) --- check
3) are there signs of a bright future? (defense) --- check
4) what role on the team does he get? (captaincy) --- check
5) money --- derp

It all comes down to money, me thinks.

Clarkson Falls Down
02-15-2012, 11:05
If the Devils are willing to take on Zidlicky's contract, then how serious are the Devils' financial problems? And does that make it more likely the Devils sign Parise?

guyincognito
02-15-2012, 11:08
If the Devils are willing to take on Zidlicky's contract, then how serious are the Devils' financial problems? And does that make it more likely the Devils sign Parise?

I don't think they're immediate. But hey, next year, the league may own the team anyway, in which case, what do they care? They pay the guy 2/3rds of his money and take a dead cap hit that they need to counterbalance Kovy's $4.3+M overage.

Devilsfanatic
02-15-2012, 11:09
It means there's still financial problems, but, that they're serious about the fact that they won't let it impact the on-ice product. They know that they have to spend to make, and to make, they need playoff rev. If they get that, they will be OK going forward. Making the POs and going past round one is imperative and getting Zidlicky will help that going forward.

I also nominate Ilya giving up 5M of his 11 owed so that it can toward the Parise fund.

ILikeItVeryMuch
02-18-2012, 13:36
It is been a few months, the team is doing well.

I expect the Post to recycle the same story from a year ago very soon. It's science.

Getzo5
03-14-2012, 15:12
http://i42.tinypic.com/14cqnnc.png

Fireworks? Not yet, but...

I`ve always been cautiously optimistic regarding his status and there`s no reason to believe the opposite.

guyincognito
03-14-2012, 15:16
I called BS on that, Kovalchuk was funneled to us in a once in a lifetime situation where everything aligned.

It was not a difficult call. If it was, I wouldn't have been so damn nervous about signing him. :laugh:

Dr. Doom
03-14-2012, 15:18
Where is that from? If so...I have a very appropriate boner.

Zajac's Bowl Cut
03-14-2012, 15:19
dont know who the **** that is but it doesn't change how I feel about it either way lol

guyincognito
03-14-2012, 15:25
Secondly, why in the hell would they sit on this for 3 months? :laugh:

To me it's just another symptom of the disease over there.

guyincognito
03-14-2012, 15:29
So the other FB post gets produced and it "announces" the signing 15 days before it happened. Wow, some real psychic powers there, I'm pretty sure he was out in LA *after* that.

Like I said some dumbass on facebook getting lucky on a weighted coin flip does not = a source. If it did, I should fire up NHL Supergenius again

Clarkson Falls Down
03-14-2012, 15:38
I'll believe it when I see it. There are too many Incarcerated Bob's out there.

guyincognito
03-14-2012, 15:45
Yep, it's just how far that forum has fallen that it gets taken seriously, even for a few minutes. Like Kovy was some massive Brian Rolston sweepstakes. If someone called that with conviction, it would have been a shocker.

Basically a couple of months before then, you knew what was going on, no one had any money to spend and dumb Avs and Islanders rumors were getting floated because they had cap space, ignoring that they had cap space because they were deadbeats. Rangers were out because of Gaborik, Flyers were out because of Pronger the year before, among other things, Leafs were out because they spend all of their money on crap every year, Tallon fucked his team up beyond belief that offseason, etc...

VaxjoDevil
03-14-2012, 15:48
Who is that FB status from? Some Joe or actually someone who is known to have inside info? It just seems like something I would not put anything into.

guyincognito
03-14-2012, 15:52
Who is that FB status from? Some Joe or actually someone who is known to have inside info? It just seems like something I would not put anything into.

Some chick on facebook. Seriously. Who broke the stunning news that the Devils signed Ilya Kovalchuk two weeks before the signing. Even though no one could afford him, Dean Lombardi was cheap, and he was already on our cap roster the year before, meaning we could sign him when most others couldn't, this apparently was a stunning report that gives credibility to anything they say in the future.

Getzo5
03-14-2012, 16:23
I take it with a grain of salt, but holy **** GIC, calm down. rofl

guyincognito
03-14-2012, 16:27
I take it with a grain of salt, but holy **** GIC, calm down. rofl

No, it's freaking stupid! :laugh:

It's beyond stupid, it had to be to motivate me to do more than drop a random post in there.

Getzo5
03-14-2012, 16:38
:laugh: oh my. There will always be some "inside info", no need to overreact just because someone *might* believe it. lol

guyincognito
03-14-2012, 16:49
:laugh: oh my. There will always be some "inside info", no need to overreact just because someone *might* believe it. lol

I don't think it's an overreaction. :laugh: I think that was a low bar, even for HF

Getzo5
03-14-2012, 16:55
Should I count how many words did you use? bahaha

jkrdevil
03-14-2012, 17:11
Secondly, why in the hell would they sit on this for 3 months? :laugh:

To me it's just another symptom of the disease over there.

No way would they sit on it for 3 months. Now i could see them sitting on something like that for a little bit and then release it right before the season ticket renewals come out to time it like that.

They did sit on the signing a 1-year deal news and waited to drop it on a Friday night, but that was a different situation. That was basically bad news. There is no reason to sit 3 months on a the captain signing a long-term deal news.

ILikeItVeryMuch
03-15-2012, 08:15
a woman in a cubicle on facebook said he signed.

wheewwww

Zajac's Bowl Cut
03-20-2012, 19:35
Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice
Parise on report by NBC"s Pierre McGuire that his agents are negotiating contract with Lamoriello: "We're not."

Dr. Doom
03-20-2012, 19:36
Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice
Parise on report by NBC"s Pierre McGuire that his agents are negotiating contract with Lamoriello: "We're not."
Or are they :sarcasm:

devilzrule27
03-20-2012, 19:42
oh noes!

Dr. Doom
03-20-2012, 19:52
I wouldn't be surprised if they really are talking and Zach is just saying they aren't to avoid having to constantly talk about it. If they are in negotiations he has to deal with "Why hasn't a deal been made yet?" "What is the structure of the deal?", etc.

Krinkle
03-20-2012, 20:19
That's a pretty good Lou-Aid answer though :laugh:

Dr. Doom
03-20-2012, 20:23
c'mon let me just believe :(