PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed With Link: Devils Aquire LW Alexei Ponikarovsky for a 4th and D Joe Sova

jkrdevil
01-20-2012, 19:11
Alexei Ponikarovsky to NJ for a 4th round pick and Joe Sovo to the Canes.

https://twitter.com/#!/ice_chip/status/160557281551978496

I imagine Tedenby's time is up here.

Clarkson Falls Down
01-20-2012, 19:23
Hmm not a bottom 6 player per se but it's an upgrade. Probably gonna see Tedenby sent down.

Zajac's Bowl Cut
01-20-2012, 19:39
lol.

Zajac's Bowl Cut
01-20-2012, 19:43
I'm meh

never been high on Poni, but if we see less of the bums I guess its ok

Zajac's Bowl Cut
01-20-2012, 19:47
Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice 14s

Devils can create a roster spot by placing Tallinder on IR, but it sounds like Tedenby will be headed to AHL. Lamoriello would not confirm

jkrdevil
01-20-2012, 19:52
You know the best part of this deal. It happened at 10pm on Friday. You TG was tucking himself into bed because of the early game tomorrow doing one last check of twitter when the reports came and he realized he had to go to work.

Zajac's Bowl Cut
01-20-2012, 19:53
remember, we also have Toronto's 4th the Steckel deal

so not bad

Tao Jones
01-20-2012, 19:54
remember, we also have Toronto's 4th the Steckel deal

so not bad

More incentive to finish ahead of the Leafs in the standings.

Zajac's Bowl Cut
01-20-2012, 19:59
Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk
Zubrus-Elias-Sykora
Ponikarovsky-Josefson-Clarkson
whoever the ****

Clarkson Falls Down
01-20-2012, 20:14
Happy that he address the bottom 6. Still need another but I can't complain

Getzo5
01-20-2012, 20:17
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=42820521&postcount=84

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=42821493&postcount=121

Sums up my feelings about this. Good move.

Devilsfanatic
01-20-2012, 21:02
Sova, we hardly knew ye.

But Ponikarovsky? Ew. Remember when he was an Ilya Kovalchuk consolation prize? Now we have both.

He's a good player when not relied on heavily. And he's a proud Canadian.

Tao Jones
01-20-2012, 21:11
You know the best part of this deal. It happened at 10pm on Friday. You TG was tucking himself into bed because of the early game tomorrow doing one last check of twitter when the reports came and he realized he had to go to work.

And the grumpys come out before returning to bed.

Tom Gulitti

Reality of the Devils ' finances: Chambers wants out. no deal yet. Approx. $80 million debt they are trying refinance and haven't yet.

The longer it takes for those two problems to be solved, the bigger those problems will become.

Dmitry Chesnokov

@TGfireandice kind of like a lot of people with mortgages

Topped off with a conscious clearer for a sound sleep.

Tom Gulitti
But the NHL is not taking the team over next month. There was no ultimatum from NHL/Bettman. Devils are working with NHL on this.

Among areas Devils are exploring: Leveraging lucrative broadcast fees from MSG, working w/Prudential on arena naming rights, PSE&G.

There is no danger of team going into bankruptcy until after completion of S.Cup Finals. Lenders know this. It's part of agreement.

Classic Devil
01-20-2012, 21:12
Sova, we hardly knew ye.

But Ponikarovsky? Ew. Remember when he was an Ilya Kovalchuk consolation prize? Now we have both.

He's a good player when not relied on heavily. And he's a proud Canadian.

Ponikarovsky, high end, will be a good to exceptional third line winger. Low end, he'll be a good to exceptional fourth line winger. Given the current status of that fourth line, I can't complain about this acquisition. Especially since the cost was pretty minimal.

Nonetheless, this is us shoring up a position of weakness, but not the position of weakness. But I suppose it's better to acquire him now than in a few weeks, at the deadline Poni probably fetches a third instead of a fourth.

Classic Devil
01-20-2012, 21:13
And the grumpys come out before returning to bed.

Tom Gulitti

Reality of the Devils ' finances: Chambers wants out. no deal yet. Approx. $80 million debt they are trying refinance and haven't yet.

The longer it takes for those two problems to be solved, the bigger those problems will become.

Dmitry Chesnokov

@TGfireandice kind of like a lot of people with mortgages

Topped off with a conscious clearer for a sound sleep.

Tom Gulitti
But the NHL is not taking the team over next month. There was no ultimatum from NHL/Bettman. Devils are working with NHL on this.

I bet we become eligible for revenue sharing under the new CBA. We're currently not, but I suspect that will change.

Still, the problems aren't going to be solved until we sub Chambers out and a new billionaire in.

Devilsfanatic
01-20-2012, 21:40
Ponikarovsky, high end, will be a good to exceptional third line winger. Low end, he'll be a good to exceptional fourth line winger. Given the current status of that fourth line, I can't complain about this acquisition. Especially since the cost was pretty minimal.

Nonetheless, this is us shoring up a position of weakness, but not the position of weakness. But I suppose it's better to acquire him now than in a few weeks, at the deadline Poni probably fetches a third instead of a fourth.

Yeah, I'm not complaining. If he was brought in for the top six, I'd be mad. When the hell is Zajac coming back? I really think out for the year, lol.

Classic Devil
01-20-2012, 21:45
Yeah, I'm not complaining. If he was brought in for the top six, I'd be mad. When the hell is Zajac coming back? I really think out for the year, lol.

Hopefully sooner rather than later. I hate our medical staff. They're the biggest bunch of ****-ups and incompetents. Who would of thought that of all the names we lost in the last decade, I'd be putting Bill Murray in the top-5 I want back?

Devilsfanatic
01-20-2012, 21:49
Yeah, didn't seem like we lost a lot of guys with Peter Venkman on the bench. Stinzio sucks, or Stininzio or whatever the hell his spelling is.

I think if we can acquire another D, (doesn't sound like it), and a F, we'll be OK.

Zubrus-Elias-Sykora
Ponikarovsky-Zajac-Clarkson
Carter-Josefson-Mills

It will work and be good, I think.

Classic Devil
01-20-2012, 21:52
Yeah, didn't seem like we lost a lot of guys with Peter Venkman on the bench. Stinzio sucks, or Stininzio or whatever the hell his spelling is.

I think if we can acquire another D, (doesn't sound like it), and a F, we'll be OK.

Zubrus-Elias-Sykora
Ponikarovsky-Zajac-Clarkson
Carter-Josefson-Mills

It will work and be good, I think.

I know it's a pipe-dream, but with Beauchemin re-signed in Anaheim, I'd be hammering those phones trying to add Visnovsky. I've coveted him for the better part of five years now, and he's still one of the best options out there.

Also - I know this is probably anathema right now, and rightly so, but sometime before the playoffs I want to try splitting up Kovy and Zach again. Not because I think it's the right thing necessarily, but because I'd like to have the option in the tactical toolbox when the time comes.

Devilsfanatic
01-20-2012, 22:24
Vish is highly desirable.

VaxjoDevil
01-20-2012, 23:00
Lou is a radical left winger.

Clarkson Falls Down
01-20-2012, 23:30
Lou addressed it. That's what I'm happy about more then else. We still have Toronto's 4th, and Sova - who knows. This helps to address a huge need, though I still think another bottom 6 guy is needed.

That's all that matters to me.

Devilsfanatic
01-20-2012, 23:32
I think losing Sova might be a mistake. He is comparable to Tim Gleason for me.

But whatever, if we can get Slater or someone of that ilk, it can work. Goose from BUF would be a gud fit too.

VaxjoDevil
01-21-2012, 01:15
DeBoer wants size, someone that is a non-Tedenby. And probably pretty slow.

Devilsfanatic
01-21-2012, 01:41
I think Bernier might be OK or Veilleux for line 4

Getzo5
01-21-2012, 07:09
I think Bernier might be OK or Veilleux for line 4Agreed, also agreed with CFD`s point and CD`s pipe dream although as I said on HF, I wouldn`t overpay for him and I love Lubo as much as anybody if not more.

Dr. Doom
01-21-2012, 07:47
I think this is slightly concerning that Zajac won't be back as soon as we think. I don't really care about Teddy in the AHL but I hope he is back later in the season. Those goons on the 4th line won't get us anywhere in the playoffs; they get scored on and don't score.

Devilsfanatic
01-21-2012, 07:53
Which is the same thing Tedenby does :)

Zajac, they haven't said a word on. I doubt he comes back at all.

Dr. Doom
01-21-2012, 08:16
Which would you rather have? Tedenby, Mills, Janssen, Zalewski, Boulton, etc.

Tedenby at least has the potential to score goals. If he isn't scoring at least he draws penalties. His defensive game has improved a lot this year too.

Devilsfanatic
01-21-2012, 08:18
As evident by his -15.

He's not scoring, he's not helping defensively and he doesn't have bottom six size. He'll be handy in the future. The AHL is gonna help.

Dr. Doom
01-21-2012, 08:24
As evident by his -15.

He's not scoring, he's not helping defensively and he doesn't have bottom six size. He'll be handy in the future. The AHL is gonna help.
I'm aware. Most of that was from early in the season. Notice Clarkson's and Carter's +/- too. It didn't help playing with Janssen and Sestito or whoever he was playing with on the 4th line.

Clarkson Falls Down
01-21-2012, 08:50
LOL I love reading the trade board and the immediate snap reactions. "Oh the Devils won this trade," "Carolina got a steal," etc. It's a minor trade, who freaking cares.

Devilsfanatic
01-21-2012, 08:55
Yeah, it's a nothing trade. Now a trade we won......the Kovalchuk deal. Unless it costs us Parise.

onefatsurfer
01-21-2012, 14:39
Good trade, imo

guyincognito
01-21-2012, 15:16
This is a 2002 trade. They need more forwards, so whatever, but it doesn't address the team's biggest problem. Oh yeah, and they're broke, being this is the second time this year they've added salary, this time $1.5M prorated.

Lord Ned Stark
01-22-2012, 09:48
i was glad he scored. hopefully he can start putting up some points.