PDA

View Full Version : The Engineering (and other homework) Thread - Help me study!!

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 01:21
I have the next week of my life mapped out for my FE exam review. I have to stick to a strict schedule every day in order to get everything I want done. I have it estimated at about 47 hours of studying, which includes 8 hours for a practice exam. Selyar, I have no clue how you finished both sections early. There is only 2 min per question for the morning and 4 min per question for the afternoon. Did you end up guessing on the difficult ones?

selyar
04-04-2012, 04:30
I have the next week of my life mapped out for my FE exam review. I have to stick to a strict schedule every day in order to get everything I want done. I have it estimated at about 47 hours of studying, which includes 8 hours for a practice exam. Selyar, I have no clue how you finished both sections early. There is only 2 min per question for the morning and 4 min per question for the afternoon. Did you end up guessing on the difficult ones?

wow. that's alot of studying.

i've always been a fast test taker. in the morning there are going to be some questions you just know. or that only take you like 30 seconds to punch into your calculator. you make up time on those, so you can think about the harder ones. i worked through everything i knew how to do, then went back to the ones i skipped and tried to come up with answers to those. there were probably like 3 i flat out guessed on because i didn't know them. i remember one about vulcanized rubber that all my friends talked about after the test...everyone was like wtf??

so yeah. thats how i finished early. i blew through the easy ****, finished everything else. then checked it. you have plenty of time. some of the problems are like, "in this spreadsheet, what is in cell A1" come on now. don't tell me it will take you two minutes to do that.

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 05:23
I'm going to start studying for the PE exam today. My goal is to do 2 hours of studying a day and a practice exam this saturday.

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 05:42
I'm going to start studying for the PE exam today. My goal is to do 2 hours of studying a day and a practice exam this saturday.

shut up, you're not going to do a full practice exam and you know it.

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 05:43

ok, i guess i'll just find how to do each question in the reference manual instead of running through the questions

selyar
04-04-2012, 05:44

took the words right out of my mouth.

maybe if your family wasn't celebrating easter on saturday you'd have a chance.

but with the egg hunt and dinner at uncle toms, there's not a chance in the world you're going to have time to anything on saturday.

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 06:22
ok, revised study plan:
Study traffic BS crap (horizontal/vertical curves, superelevation, capacity questions) - 1-2 full study periods
Find my way around the reference manual by flipping through the practice questions and finding where to find the solutions in the ref manual -weekend study periods + during the course of other studying
Study soil mechanics - 1 full study period
Refresh myself a bit in structural equations - 1 study period
Refresh myself a bit in hydraulics equations - while working on learning my way around the reference manual

take the test, pass it with 1 1/2 weeks of studying (aka, like a boss)
be done with stupid 8 hour exams

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 07:19
wow. that's alot of studying.

i've always been a fast test taker. in the morning there are going to be some questions you just know. or that only take you like 30 seconds to punch into your calculator. you make up time on those, so you can think about the harder ones. i worked through everything i knew how to do, then went back to the ones i skipped and tried to come up with answers to those. there were probably like 3 i flat out guessed on because i didn't know them. i remember one about vulcanized rubber that all my friends talked about after the test...everyone was like wtf??

so yeah. thats how i finished early. i blew through the easy ****, finished everything else. then checked it. you have plenty of time. some of the problems are like, "in this spreadsheet, what is in cell A1" come on now. don't tell me it will take you two minutes to do that.
well you already know i get super crazy about school stuff :laugh: i would say the studying sounds way worse than it really is. i'm planning on just staying in all weekend and getting 10-12 hours of review done a day on friday-sunday. include the 8 hours of the practice exam and you almost have the full amount of review.

that's my test taking strategy too. i'm really counting on the exam notebook that they give you. from the review it feels like if you know where things are it is pretty much crunching numbers. i'm a little worried about having to use a different calculator, and you scared me about taking the mechanical exam and not the general.

ok, revised study plan:
Study traffic BS crap (horizontal/vertical curves, superelevation, capacity questions) - 1-2 full study periods
Find my way around the reference manual by flipping through the practice questions and finding where to find the solutions in the ref manual -weekend study periods + during the course of other studying
Study soil mechanics - 1 full study period
Refresh myself a bit in structural equations - 1 study period
Refresh myself a bit in hydraulics equations - while working on learning my way around the reference manual

take the test, pass it with 1 1/2 weeks of studying (aka, like a boss)
be done with stupid 8 hour exams
you may be severely underestimating the PE. if i just started reviewing for the FE i would be in full on panic mode right now. i even wish i was spending more time reviewing when i started so that i wouldn't have to do so much in this last 9 day crunch.

selyar
04-04-2012, 07:42
well you already know i get super crazy about school stuff :laugh: i would say the studying sounds way worse than it really is. i'm planning on just staying in all weekend and getting 10-12 hours of review done a day on friday-sunday. include the 8 hours of the practice exam and you almost have the full amount of review.

that's my test taking strategy too. i'm really counting on the exam notebook that they give you. from the review it feels like if you know where things are it is pretty much crunching numbers. i'm a little worried about having to use a different calculator, and you scared me about taking the mechanical exam and not the general.

you may be severely underestimating the PE. if i just started reviewing for the FE i would be in full on panic mode right now. i even wish i was spending more time reviewing when i started so that i wouldn't have to do so much in this last 9 day crunch.

i mean, maybe i just picked up stuff through osmosis in the review class i was required to take. i honestly did half a practice exam the day before my test and sat through a review class drunk 1/2 the time and passed.

the equation book is key. have you been using the test approved calculator to study with? we all ditched our ti-89s for like a week and only used the stupid calculators to get familiar with them.

i stand by taking the general test, but if you've looked at all of the topics for the mechanical test, you'll be fine.

he probably is under estimating the PE, but knowing him, he's going to pass anyway. he's one of those naturally smart people who never had to do homework or study for anything. that being said, i'm chaining him down in his cube at work if he doesn't start looking at stuff for the exam soon.

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 07:51
i mean, maybe i just picked up stuff through osmosis in the review class i was required to take. i honestly did half a practice exam the day before my test and sat through a review class drunk 1/2 the time and passed.

the equation book is key. have you been using the test approved calculator to study with? we all ditched our ti-89s for like a week and only used the stupid calculators to get familiar with them.

i stand by taking the general test, but if you've looked at all of the topics for the mechanical test, you'll be fine.

he probably is under estimating the PE, but knowing him, he's going to pass anyway. he's one of those naturally smart people who never had to do homework or study for anything. that being said, i'm chaining him down in his cube at work if he doesn't start looking at stuff for the exam soon.
i haven't started using a different calculator yet, but i'm going to buy it in the next couple of days. i plan on taking the whole practice exam with it. it does seem like one of those exams that you think is really bad, but once you take it it isn't horrible. it's nice that there isn't a passing grade and that it is judged against everyone else that takes it. i've found that there are some problems in my review book that are ridiculously easy and then others that are absolutely ridiculous and if i see any question like them i will probably skip right away and most likely guess on them.

all the power to him if he passes with minimal studying. i used to be able to do that, but i can't anymore.

selyar
04-04-2012, 07:58
get it sooner than later. what are your options?

beware calculators that use weird syntax

and get familiar with the functions that will help you be faster. also see what kind of advanced calculations it can do to check yourself. usually it's faster to do them by hand, but i used mine to double check stuff

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 08:02
get it sooner than later. what are your options?

beware calculators that use weird syntax

and get familiar with the functions that will help you be faster. also see what kind of advanced calculations it can do to check yourself. usually it's faster to do them by hand, but i used mine to double check stuff
i'm planning on going to staples on friday. there is a list of calculators that can be used. i'm gonna try to get one that is the most similar to what i currently have. i wish i could just use my ti-89. it doesn't seem unfair to use it, but that's probably because i don't know how to do all of the fancy things it can do.

selyar
04-04-2012, 08:08
i'm planning on going to staples on friday. there is a list of calculators that can be used. i'm gonna try to get one that is the most similar to what i currently have. i wish i could just use my ti-89. it doesn't seem unfair to use it, but that's probably because i don't know how to do all of the fancy things it can do.

are you kidding? you don't know all the fancy things? which means you're telling me you don't use it to do all of your matrix multiplying and determinate finding and integrals and differentials and equation solving and graphing and to play tetris when you're bored???

it's literally an engineering degree in your pocket.

i used the HP 33 for the exam.

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 08:11
are you kidding? you don't know all the fancy things? which means you're telling me you don't use it to do all of your matrix multiplying and determinate finding and integrals and differentials and equation solving and graphing and to play tetris when you're bored???

it's literally an engineering degree in your pocket.

i used the HP 33 for the exam.
i have no clue how to do those things :laugh: it isn't like it would have really made a huge difference on the exams i took. it would probably help a lot for the FE though. determinates are a pain to calculate by hand if they are more than a 2x2. i'm hoping whatever calculator i get can do them. i'll check out the HP 33.

selyar
04-04-2012, 08:16
i have no clue how to do those things :laugh: it isn't like it would have really made a huge difference on the exams i took. it would probably help a lot for the FE though. determinates are a pain to calculate by hand if they are more than a 2x2. i'm hoping whatever calculator i get can do them. i'll check out the HP 33.

i doubt anything they'd let you use would do them.

i seriously don't know how you never figured out all these things about the 89. why bother having it? like. i don't think i'm that much of a slacker, but my calculator did alot of heavy lifting for me in school. now i just use it to add **** when i'm too lazy to open excel.

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 08:26
I know how to solve equations with it. I used to know how to do calculus with it but I forgot. I had to get it for calculus in high school.

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 09:01

The FE was a fucking joke. I studied for one night, the night before the exam, and went to one review class, extremely hung over. I passed no problem.
The PE is going to be harder SOLELY because I barely do any engineering calculations like that by hand anymore. I also don't remember most of the structural stuff, any of the soil mechanics, etc. I'm also taking the transportation exam, which I have never done any transportation engineering in my entire life. Doesn't matter, because that section is a shitload easier than the hydraulics/hydrology/environmental stuff that I do all the time.

Of course I'm underestimating the PE, but my goal isn't to pass the exam, it's to spend the least amount of time studying as possible, while still passing the exam. For me, time >>> money, and wasting months of my life isn't worth it if not absolutely necessary. Studying for 3 months and guaranteeing that I pass is just not worth it to me. I'd rather do the bare minimum for this, and if I fail, at least I'll have a gauge on how much studying I need to do. If I fail, I'll know that I underestimated it and that I need to study more next time. I'll be disappointed that I have to take the exam again, but it's not like I wasted a ton of time studying.

I promise, I'm going to start studying today after work.

all the power to him if he passes with minimal studying. i used to be able to do that, but i can't anymore.
We'll see if I can. Several years of drinking have passed since the last test that I took, and since I've used 99% of these equations. I have a feeling I'll be OK. If I pass and you fail, I'm going to point and laugh at you, though, so you better pass :biglaugh:

Devilsfanatic
04-04-2012, 09:03
Alright, I'm going to be honest. Talking about Engineering isn't partying or bullshit. So, I will now give you the engineering thread. My ***** was getting soft reading all that nerdy stuff. Enjoy, nerds!

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 09:14
Alright, I'm going to be honest. Talking about Engineering isn't partying or bullshit. So, I will now give you the engineering thread. My ***** was getting soft reading all that nerdy stuff. Enjoy, nerds!

blow me

Lord Ned Stark
04-04-2012, 09:17
Someone teach me diffraction optics and electromagnetic waves

Devilsfanatic
04-04-2012, 09:22
blow me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4TG56KGZ4

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 09:55
We'll see if I can. Several years of drinking have passed since the last test that I took, and since I've used 99% of these equations. I have a feeling I'll be OK. If I pass and you fail, I'm going to point and laugh at you, though, so you better pass :biglaugh:
I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't pass. I'm expecting to pass, but if I didn't I wouldn't be too disappointed. It would probably be because I'm not taking the general exam. My problem is I'm really good at things while I'm taking a class in them, but once I stop using them on a regular basis, I completely forget them. That's why I'm doing this whole review thing, because otherwise I would probably remember none of what's on the exam. It's so tough because the most recent thing that is relevant on the FE I took one year ago. Most of the math I took 2-3 years ago and same with the engineering stuff.

I'm going to go in there, give it my best shot, and if I don't pass I at least know what to expect the next time I take it.

selyar
04-04-2012, 10:04
you are both gonna pass.

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 10:07
you are both gonna pass.
i hope you're right. i am going to drink so heavily after my exam. and then i'll have to worry about my senior project :laugh:

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 10:41
I have a bachelor party to go to the day after the PE, then a family party on Sunday, then I'm getting LASIK on Monday. Thursday is Lime Rock Park, then Friday I'm flying to LA for the weekend. Add in the playoff games..... oh boy.

Devilsfanatic
04-04-2012, 10:47
Uh, you're gonna have to be careful after the LASIK. The first day, you'll sleep because your eyes just won't be able to stay open. No using a computer, reading, watching TV, anything. Next three days, keep your LASIK issued sunglasses on at all times and for seven days after the surgery, you'll have to keep putting in refresh tear drops so that you get some lubricant in the eyes. Oh and absolutely no itching.

And when I say sunglasses on at all times, that includes sleeping and in the shower.

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 10:48
Uh, you're gonna have to be careful after the LASIK. The first day, you'll sleep because your eyes just won't be able to stay open. No using a computer, reading, watching TV, anything. Next three days, keep your LASIK issued sunglasses on at all times and for seven days after the surgery, you'll have to keep putting in refresh tear drops so that you get some lubricant in the eyes. Oh and absolutely no itching.

And when I say sunglasses on at all times, that includes sleeping and in the shower.

So I can't blast around a race track at 120+ mph? Or fly to LA? FML.

Devilsfanatic
04-04-2012, 10:51
I wouldn't recommend either of those things, no. But that sacrifice is worth what LASIK brings. I had it done last December, and a year and some later, it's still great. Of course, no one knows the long term ramifications of the surgery because it's only been around 21 years or so, so, there is no test given to tell.

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 10:54
I wouldn't recommend either of those things, no. But that sacrifice is worth what LASIK brings. I had it done last December, and a year and some later, it's still great. Of course, no one knows the long term ramifications of the surgery because it's only been around 21 years or so, so, there is no test given to tell.

I has a sad now, thanks. I'll check with my doc, though.

selyar
04-04-2012, 11:08
guess i'm going to LA without you!

and DF, i thought you banished us here so you wouldn't have to read our nerdy ramblings?

Devilsfanatic
04-04-2012, 11:11
I like learning and knowing what people are talking about. And it helped, because, it led to helping Rob with his LASIK, giving him some prep before hand.

selyar
04-04-2012, 11:25
you really think flying will be an issue 5 days after the procedure?

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 11:33
http://www.scotthyver.com/vision/lasikfaqs.shtml#13

When can I fly following my procedure?
Altitude has no effect on the vision or the healing of the eye after LASIK treatment. So, you can actually fly the next day if you like. However, be aware, that the air blowing from the vents above you may make your eyes feel more dry. Just bring your teardrops with you.

Devilsfanatic
04-04-2012, 11:36
you really think flying will be an issue 5 days after the procedure?

No, flying isn't an issue at all. It's that scheduled activity three days after that I might avoid. Remember, glasses need to be on for three days, mandatory at all times.

selyar
04-04-2012, 11:40
right so we might want to skip the overnight kayaking/camping trip in LA?

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 11:44
that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, i guess. maybe we can go to a kings playoff game

Devilsfanatic
04-04-2012, 11:53
Yeah, you risk getting something in the eye to cause an infection. I wouldn't recommend sleeping outdoors. After seven days, sure, but within the first seven, I wouldn't think so.

selyar
04-04-2012, 12:11
haha someone just suggested to me that i use a rockwell hardness tester on chocolate to make sure i can replicate the candy hardness i made.

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 12:14
haha someone just suggested to me that i use a rockwell hardness tester on chocolate to make sure i can replicate the candy hardness i made.
that has to be one of the nerdiest things i've ever heard

selyar
04-04-2012, 12:20
thats why i put it here. lol

this was after i explained how to temper chocolate by comparing it to steel.

Lord Ned Stark
04-04-2012, 12:21
Jessica alba is my personal Rockwell hardness tester

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 13:13
Got a 76 on my manufacturing exam, but with a 10 point curve, I got a 86. Great success.

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 13:40
K, it's basically quittin' time. Time to start studying. FML.

doc e
04-04-2012, 14:15
All this engineering homework to its own thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Lord Ned Stark
04-04-2012, 15:05
All this engineering homework to its own thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

next on the list: game of thrones hipster complaining thread

Lord Ned Stark
04-04-2012, 15:13
And then hopefully a selyar cupcake thread

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 15:14
this blows. i forgot so much stuff since college

Lord Ned Stark
04-04-2012, 15:15
I would also enjoy a EIV outdoorsman thread

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 15:47
told ya so :laugh:

tomorrow i'm going to hopefully be using a superconductor to float a magnet and ferro-magnetic fluid. i'll take pictures.

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 15:59
that feel when you need to start studying but don't want to. it's like having to just jump into a pool when you know it's freezing cold.

onefatsurfer
04-04-2012, 16:56
told ya so :laugh:

tomorrow i'm going to hopefully be using a superconductor to float a magnet and ferro-magnetic fluid. i'll take pictures.
I think I'd feel confident with ~ 4 days of studying (after today). I'll be fine for the exam with my study plan.

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 18:02
I think I'd feel confident with ~ 4 days of studying (after today). I'll be fine for the exam with my study plan.
:eek: I don't know how you can do that haha. I'm pretty confident because from what I've gathered there are a lot of people that don't study for the exam and that really benefits me.

I was just looking at something and something I just noticed was you aren't allowed to bring your own pencils? What is that?

vonbonds
04-04-2012, 21:21
This thread is missing "DF Approved"

Devilsfanatic
04-04-2012, 21:25
I created it, to rid the P&B thread of their nonsensical ramblings. If it's something I don't understand, away it goes.

Dr. Doom
04-04-2012, 21:30
I created it, to rid the P&B thread of their nonsensical ramblings. If it's something I don't understand, away it goes.
i haven't even begun to say the things you don't understand, but the thing is there is a whole lot of things that i don't understand :laugh:

sociology exam tomorrow morning

Dr. Doom
04-05-2012, 09:35
http://i40.tinypic.com/352rati.jpg
Ferro-magnetic "blob" floating over a superconductor. It was also spinning. We got video of it, but I don't currently have it.

selyar
04-05-2012, 14:45
:eek: I don't know how you can do that haha. I'm pretty confident because from what I've gathered there are a lot of people that don't study for the exam and that really benefits me.

I was just looking at something and something I just noticed was you aren't allowed to bring your own pencils? What is that?

nope. you will get a NCESS issued mechanical pencil.

i think i still have mine. pretty sure it's still in my car somewhere.

selyar
04-05-2012, 14:45
Ferro-magnetic "blob" floating over a superconductor. It was also spinning. We got video of it, but I don't currently have it.

that's cool.

what are you trying to prove here?

Dr. Doom
04-05-2012, 16:57
that's cool.

what are you trying to prove here?
that was just practice using the liquid nitrogen and superconductor. we are using our project to rotate it. basically the superconductor will be displaying how it would act i it were in a zero gravity condition.

Dr. Doom
04-05-2012, 20:15
selyar or ofs, 2 questions about the FE.

1. are most of the questions in SI units? i've noticed that pretty much every question from my review book is in SI, but they do mention English units.
2. are there sequences of questions that are linked together? in my book a scenario is given and you can sometimes use past answers for the next question.

Lord Ned Stark
04-05-2012, 20:22
dm/dt=Min-Mout+Mformed-Mlost

Lord Ned Stark
04-05-2012, 20:23
integrating both sides we get the integral of **** all is equal to the integral of dt.. setting the boundaries we get.. i have no fuckin idea

does anyone know how to do variable substitution in the mass flow problems.. its fuckin ridic

Dr. Doom
04-05-2012, 21:06
selyar or ofs, 2 questions about the FE.

1. are most of the questions in SI units? i've noticed that pretty much every question from my review book is in SI, but they do mention English units.
2. are there sequences of questions that are linked together? in my book a scenario is given and you can sometimes use past answers for the next question.
bump, so it doesn't get lost

selyar
04-06-2012, 04:42

obviously you haven't changed your posts per page.

however, to answer your question

1. i honestly don't remember. rob might? i stopped using SI units once i got out of school. it's actually kind of annoying that we do everything in SI in school and the entire real world uses English. we're in the US, let's teach non English units to everyone! yay that makes sense.

2. yes questions are grouped sometimes. like they'll give you one sketch of a force arrangement and you'd have to answer multiple questions about it. or they'll give you one snippet of a spreadsheet and you'd have to do a few things with that.

selyar
04-06-2012, 04:50
integrating both sides we get the integral of **** all is equal to the integral of dt.. setting the boundaries we get.. i have no fuckin idea

does anyone know how to do variable substitution in the mass flow problems.. its fuckin ridic

i know how to integrate by substitution, but i don't see how that helps you here. are Min,out,lost and formed not constants?

onefatsurfer
04-06-2012, 05:43

1. IIRC, most of the questions were in english units. You should know how to use both, though (and equations for both are often in the reference manual) For the PE studying I've been doing, most of the questions have been in english units
2. I've seen a couple questions on my PE practice exam that were sequenced, but split up by 2-3 questions. The sequencing can only help you, though. I'd re-do the part of the question that's used in the 2nd as a check, unless you're completely sure you did it right. If you did it wrong and re-do it, you'll fix your mistake on the first one. If you did it right, you can save time. Win-win.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 07:35
1. IIRC, most of the questions were in english units. You should know how to use both, though (and equations for both are often in the reference manual) For the PE studying I've been doing, most of the questions have been in english units
2. I've seen a couple questions on my PE practice exam that were sequenced, but split up by 2-3 questions. The sequencing can only help you, though. I'd re-do the part of the question that's used in the 2nd as a check, unless you're completely sure you did it right. If you did it wrong and re-do it, you'll fix your mistake on the first one. If you did it right, you can save time. Win-win.
I find it odd that most questions would be in english units if this review book is pretty much all SI. I literally don't remember doing one problem in english units in the book. It gives equations in both units but very rarely uses the english ones. If I remember correctly the only thing that it really has a factor on is force. Mass is lbm and force is lbf, but it is also slugs. There is the multiplying factor for correction.

Personally I don't get why english units are still used. Not only does the rest of the world us SI, but SI is easier to use. I get it can be hard to visualize some things in SI, but if you grow up using it there is no problem.

selyar
04-06-2012, 07:43
i'd say that the FE would probably be mostly SI since that's what you're taught

onefatsurfer
04-06-2012, 07:54
I find it odd that most questions would be in english units if this review book is pretty much all SI. I literally don't remember doing one problem in english units in the book. It gives equations in both units but very rarely uses the english ones. If I remember correctly the only thing that it really has a factor on is force. Mass is lbm and force is lbf, but it is also slugs. There is the multiplying factor for correction.

Personally I don't get why english units are still used. Not only does the rest of the world us SI, but SI is easier to use. I get it can be hard to visualize some things in SI, but if you grow up using it there is no problem.

English units ftw. Screw the rest of the world. We know what we're doing. (and really, it's not hard at all to convert between them)

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 07:56
i'd say that the FE would probably be mostly SI since that's what you're taught
makes sense. i can see simple questions being used to test your knowledge of the units.

i'm going to go buy my calculator today. hopefully it isn't a total piece of crap and i can use it fast.

also, i sent all of our parts for my senior project to imf last night and they are currently being made. i'm so scared haha. in a single email i pretty much just spent over $500. i wouldn't be surprised if it was close to $1,000. our budget is $3,500 though and we have barely put a dent in it so far. now if our EE can get this god damn microcontroller to work our project will be done.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 08:42
So i just got my calculator for the FE. I got the TI-36x Pro. I was surprised what the calculators they allow you to have can do. This thing has converstions, matrixes, derivatives, integrals, and solvers. This thing might be even easier to use than my TI-89 and can do pretty much all the same things I do on it.

onefatsurfer
04-06-2012, 13:41
Study time. This test is entirely about knowing where to find the right equations.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 13:51
Study time. This test is entirely about knowing where to find the right equations.
isn't that pretty much every engineering exam? :laugh:

i've been studying since around noon. i'll be studying all weekend and not leaving my apartment.

onefatsurfer
04-06-2012, 14:47
great. my practice exam has the wrong answer in the answer key :(

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 14:51
great. my practice exam has the wrong answer in the answer key :(
i've noticed some typos in my review book too. i almost forgot how much of a pain in the *** thermo is.

onefatsurfer
04-06-2012, 14:54
lol thermo

so glad i'm not taking that bs.

Lord Ned Stark
04-06-2012, 15:03
#4-5 You are in an old spy movie, and have been locked into a small
room (volume = 1000 ft3). You suddenly realize that a poison gas has just started
entering the room through a ventilation duct. Recognizing the type of poison from
its smell, you know that if the gas reaches a concentration of 100 mg m-3, you will
die instantly, but that you are safe as long as the concentration is less than 100 mg
m-3. If the ventilation air flow rate in the room is 100 ft3 min-1 and the incoming
gas concentration is 200 mg m-3, how long do you have to escape?

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 15:04
lol thermo

so glad i'm not taking that bs.
my head is literally hurting from doing thermo all day. i needed to take a little break from it, but i'll be back to it later.

there was one combustion problem with a bunch of chemistry. i just looked at the solution and had no clue what the hell anything meant. i'll probably be guessing on anything involving chemistry :laugh:

Lord Ned Stark
04-06-2012, 15:05
what kinda chemistry do they have you doing?

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 15:07
what kinda chemistry do they have you doing?
there was only one combustion question in a diagnostic thermo exam. there is a combustion section that has a couple of questions in it. there is also a chemistry section with what i believe is relatively simple chemistry. i think in total of 180 questions i'll have to answer something like 7 chemistry questions haha.

Lord Ned Stark
04-06-2012, 15:12
are they conceptual? or is it like multi step problems which require u to actually know what you're doing

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 15:16
are they conceptual? or is it like multi step problems which require u to actually know what you're doing
the only one i've seen in the book so far had some steps to it. i have no clue what's in the chemistry section.

onefatsurfer
04-06-2012, 15:41
god, am I lazy. I've been studying for 2 hours or so and just don't want to do any more. Time to gtfooh i guess

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 17:09
I would say I've done a solid 6 hours of studying today, maybe a little more. I would still like to do another 4 hours, but I'm not sure I'll make it much longer.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 19:53
I can't believe how much work I've done today. I might continue to do a little more after this study break, but I'm starting to get tired.

This is going to sound really nerdy or weird, but I sometimes have dreams where I'm solving equations and doing math. This usually happens after doing crazy amounts of studying. Has this ever happened to anyone? It is really weird because it almost feels like I'm controlling my dream.

Lord Ned Stark
04-06-2012, 19:55
I can't believe how much work I've done today. I might continue to do a little more after this study break, but I'm starting to get tired.

This is going to sound really nerdy or weird, but I sometimes have dreams where I'm solving equations and doing math. This usually happens after doing crazy amounts of studying. Has this ever happened to anyone? It is really weird because it almost feels like I'm controlling my dream.

that happened to me a couple days ago. it ended with laura rivas' boobies in my face

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 19:56
that happened to me a couple days ago. it ended with laura rivas' boobies in my face
:laugh: x 1000

Lord Ned Stark
04-06-2012, 20:08
Random as hell hahaha. I haven't seen her in like 5 years

Dr. Doom
04-07-2012, 08:54
I'm a little amazed at how involved some of these questions are. I can't believe that they would actually be on the exam.

selyar
04-07-2012, 09:19
Afternoon questions are harder

Or you're missing a trick to make it easy

Dr. Doom
04-07-2012, 09:31
Afternoon questions are harder

Or you're missing a trick to make it easy
I'm thinking that the ones that are longer definitely fall under the afternoon section. I'm definitely not missing a trick because I'm following the solution :laugh: They are just rigorous and take time to do all the steps and calculations.

If there's a combustion question I'm going to laugh and then guess the answer. There is no point to even try. I'm amazed that they expect you to just know all this chemistry ****, because I cant find it in the reference handbook.

Lord Ned Stark
04-07-2012, 15:30
cohrs this might be useful to you for the chemistry section
http://www.studyblue.com/#file/view/397615
you can login w my name

this guy Tavvs is the best professor at rutgers for chem and thats a collection of a **** load of final exam questions.. some of them have to do with thermodynamics and reactions

anyway i was just wondering about this question
. An observer moving toward Earth with a speed of 0.99c notices that it takes 5.0 min for a person to fill her car with gas. Suppose, instead, that the observer had been moving away from Earth with a speed of 0.80c. How much time would the observer have measured for the car to be filled in this case?

am i correct in thinking that the person would see the tank being filled up much slower because they are traveling further away at a slower rate?

Dr. Doom
04-07-2012, 15:35
I'm sure my review book will cover the chemistry stuff when I get to that section. I'm not going to fret over it because it is such a small part of the exam.

For that question, the faster you move the slower time moves relative to you. It is basically the concept behind traveling forward in time.

I just realized that studying yesterday was so brutal because I did so much thermo and fluids. All of the remaining sections that I have left to study are so easy to go through compared to those. I'm way ahead of schedule today and I'm going to try to keep getting more done so that I can spend time going over the practice exam.

Dr. Doom
04-08-2012, 13:37
I'm a whole day ahead of schedule so far, which is good because I have hw due tomorrow and on thursday.

onefatsurfer
04-08-2012, 17:48
So, I did 1 1/2 hours of studying this weekend. Fml.

Dr. Doom
04-09-2012, 10:15
The only thing left for me to do is take the practice exam.

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 11:34
Does anyone know how first order loss rate (k) can relate to air exchange rate?

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 11:41
She gave us an air exchange rate of .88hr^-1 and said a bar had a concentration of smoke of 120ug/m3. She said assuming the bar was 1000 cubic meters What is the concentration in the bar after 3 hours? I got a very small number like 1.4 which makes sense to me
Because more than 90 percent of the smoke would be gone?

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 11:42
There was nothing coming in the bar and air was allowed to leave. I just said q=iv and then plugged in

onefatsurfer
04-09-2012, 11:52
I wonder if I can bring an ipod to the exam... ?

Dr. Doom
04-09-2012, 11:56
I wonder if I can bring an ipod to the exam... ?
I'm gonna guess no.

selyar
04-09-2012, 11:59
.88 what/hr?

Dr. Doom
04-09-2012, 12:01
.88 what/hr?
exactly what i was thinking haha. that why i didn't try hard to figure it out.

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 12:06
I think It's number of exchanges of air aka I

onefatsurfer
04-09-2012, 12:22
I'm gonna guess no.

they say to bring ear plugs. so what if mine play led zeppelin?

selyar
04-09-2012, 12:29
is this like an HVAC class? i never had to do this stuff.

from what's here, doesn't it depend on how efficient the exchange is? like, who cares how many exchanges there are, but how good is the filter?

so if i assume it's .88% efficient i get 1.3

but i know nothing about this.

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 12:32
its called physical principles of environmental science. its all about mass and energy balances

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 12:33
it was weird because normally we use K and we know the decay rate and not the air exchange rate but im pretty sure they are the same thing because they both account for a loss per time

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 12:35
i set up a transient problem with different boundaries and got 1.04 then i solved it steady state and got 1.4 so i know i had to be at least close to the answer

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 12:39
i think the actual answer involves calculus which i hopefully got right on the test lmao

onefatsurfer
04-09-2012, 12:40
calcuLOL. so glad i hardly ever have to do that **** anymore.

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 12:49
hahah. i have to retake calc 2 some time in the future.. idk if i want to subject myself to that torture this summer again

selyar
04-09-2012, 12:51
lol. calc 2 was so miserable

i made fucking calculus flashcards.

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 12:54
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m21urgVfaI1rsaqk9o1_500.jpg

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 12:55
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/CobraVerde13/dickbutt/gottacheckdiscement.jpg

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 13:02
whoops.. this isnt the party and bullshit thread

onefatsurfer
04-09-2012, 13:10
that dog is hysterical.

onefatsurfer
04-09-2012, 13:19
gonna take a dump then start studying. fml.

Lord Ned Stark
04-09-2012, 13:24
same.. just finished phase 1 of that 2 step process

onefatsurfer
04-09-2012, 14:37
i'm totally going to fail.

Dr. Doom
04-09-2012, 14:38
I'm sure after I take the practice exam I will feel the same way :laugh:

Like I've said, I'm really counting on there to be a bunch of tards taking the exam to make me look good. That or being really lucky.

onefatsurfer
04-09-2012, 15:03
i need to learn this traffic ****. the one practice exam i did had a LOT of easy problems. this book of practice problems has a LOT of hard problems. I'm sure the exam will be somewhere in the middle. It'll probably be borderline whether I pass or not

selyar
04-09-2012, 15:06
you will pass.

because i said so.

Dr. Doom
04-09-2012, 15:14
i need to learn this traffic ****. the one practice exam i did had a LOT of easy problems. this book of practice problems has a LOT of hard problems. I'm sure the exam will be somewhere in the middle. It'll probably be borderline whether I pass or not
i haven't done the practice exams yet, only the questions in the individual sections. i feel like they made the questions difficult to prepare you and then the ones on the exam aren't as hard or don't take as much work. they basically prepare you by challenging you so that anything less than what they give you seems easy.

i also like how you aren't penalized for guessing haha.

onefatsurfer
04-09-2012, 16:21
OK, cool. According to a friend that failed in october, the first practice exam i took is nearly exactly what the test is like. I'm feeling confident again.

Dr. Doom
04-09-2012, 16:59
I tried to do my rocket propulsion hw and it wasn't working out like the example that my professor gave, so now I have to ask him how he got his numbers. It isn't even like I'm doing an equation wrong, the numbers I'm getting from the tables just aren't matching. So frustrating.

It looks like I'm going to do part of the practice exam tonight. I probably won't be able to do a whole section, but I'm going to time myself so that I can split it up so that it equals a total of 4 hours per section. I'm kind of scared :laugh:

Dr. Doom
04-09-2012, 17:41
I think I just figured out why I was getting the wrong number on my rocket propulsion hw. Looks like the practice exam has been delayed for now.

Dr. Doom
04-09-2012, 19:52
That hw question was pretty intense. I'm still not sure if I did it right.

onefatsurfer
04-10-2012, 13:58
**** then study :(

Dr. Doom
04-10-2012, 17:52
What are the odds that once I start to study I get a bunch of phone calls? I say pretty good.

Dr. Doom
04-10-2012, 19:17
So I just did an hour of my practice exam. I haven't checked to see if any of my answers are correct. I want to get a feel for how I'm going to do. So far it is mediocre. I have a good amount of questions that I skipped because I either didn't know them or they were taking too long to figure out.

I'm going to do another hour in a little bit.

Dr. Doom
04-10-2012, 21:14
I'm going to have a hard time with the time limit if anything is like this practice exam. After 2 hours I was only able to answer 49 questions, when I should have answered 60. I have a feeling there will be some last minute guessing. I'm not checking any answers until after the 4 full hours of time allowed. I'm going to include guessing, so that I can simulate what it would be like for real.

onefatsurfer
04-11-2012, 03:52
You'll be fine.

Dr. Doom
04-11-2012, 07:17
i know. i was a little annoyed because there were some questions that i knew how to do and i had seen in the practice stuff, but i couldn't find the equation in the reference manual.

onefatsurfer
04-11-2012, 07:34
I'm feeling good about the PE. I think i'm going to pass

lol, i flip flop more than john kerry

selyar
04-11-2012, 07:39

OK, cool. According to a friend that failed in october, the first practice exam i took is nearly exactly what the test is like. I'm feeling confident again.

I'm feeling good about the PE. I think i'm going to pass

lol, i flip flop more than john kerry

seriously dude. you're all over the place.

one more day to review, then one to sleep, and you're home free.

onefatsurfer
04-11-2012, 07:48
since i seem to alternate back and forth, would it be better to:
study today, lose confidence, sleep tomorrow, go into the test on friday with low confidence

or

study today, lose confidence, study tomorrow, regain confidence tomorrow, go into the test on friday with high confidence but less sleep

or

skip studying, go into the test on friday with high confidence and more sleep but less study time

or

skip test on friday and drink my face off before the devils game, then just tell everyone i failed

selyar
04-11-2012, 07:52
or

study today, gain more confidence, sleep thursday, and rock the test friday

onefatsurfer
04-11-2012, 07:57
I'm leaning toward not studying any more and just taking the test. I'm ready.

Let me add up the study time just to check:
Wednesday - 1 hour
Thursday - 45 minutes
Friday - 1.5 hours
Saturday - 0 hours
Sunday - 1.5 hours
Monday - 1.5 hours
Tuesday - 1.5 hours
Wednesday - ?? hours
Thursday - 0 hours
Friday - Test

http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/washington/4h/images/SigmaLambdaChilettering.jpgstudy= 7.75+tonight's study time

selyar
04-11-2012, 07:58
love the sigma.

open the books for 15 minutes to make it an even 8 hours study for 8 hour exam

onefatsurfer
04-11-2012, 07:59
But it would be so cool to pass having studied for less than 8 hours!!

onefatsurfer
04-11-2012, 13:09
Almost study time, hopefully the last time I study for the PE

Dr. Doom
04-11-2012, 14:43
Me right before the FE
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2ao7omRVY1qe7736o1_r1_500.gif

onefatsurfer
04-11-2012, 14:46
ah, **** this. i'm done. 8 hours total studying for my 8 hour exam is all they're getting out of me. wish me luck for friday

selyar
04-11-2012, 18:39
http://media.fakeposters.com/results/2012/03/09/m6a3m4b52d.jpg

Dr. Doom
04-11-2012, 18:57
i didn't do so great on the morning part of my practice exam. i wish i knew what was good though :laugh:

i'm going to go over all the answers tonight. i had a lot of problems finding things in the manual and with time. the chemistry and economics sections killed me as well, just like i thought they would.

Dr. Doom
04-12-2012, 00:41
i just finished studying for the day. i checked all the answers for the morning section. everything was easy once i found the equation in the manual. the chemistry and economics sections were still pretty ridiculous. i'll just have to hope the chemistry part is nothing like the one in my review book.

i should hopefully be finishing studying tomorrow. 2 days from the exam.

Dr. Doom
04-12-2012, 13:25
http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/internet-memes-that-happens-every-fn-time.jpg

Dr. Doom
04-12-2012, 17:12
I'm really struggling with the afternoon section right now. For multiple problems there is just the smallest thing that I'm missing and I just can't figure out what it is. Very frustrating. It's going to be one of those things where I check the answer and I go, "how did i not do that". The good news is the afternoon section that I'll actually be taking won't be exactly like what I'm doing, which is a good thing because these economics questions with interest rates are really annoying.

Lord Ned Stark
04-12-2012, 20:56
I'm really struggling with the afternoon section right now. For multiple problems there is just the smallest thing that I'm missing and I just can't figure out what it is. Very frustrating. It's going to be one of those things where I check the answer and I go, "how did i not do that". The good news is the afternoon section that I'll actually be taking won't be exactly like what I'm doing, which is a good thing because these economics questions with interest rates are really annoying.

so i just found out that i get to take the american chemical society orgo exam and if i get above a certain percentile it will bump up the exam scores that i fucked up on. fucking awesome. now to just fuckin rape all these asians

Dr. Doom
04-12-2012, 21:02
so i just found out that i get to take the american chemical society orgo exam and if i get above a certain percentile it will bump up the exam scores that i fucked up on. fucking awesome. now to just fuckin rape all these asians
good luck with that. you're probably going to be taking it with a bunch of smart *** pre-med students.

tonight is going to be another late night. i finished the practice exam and i'm currently going over the solutions. i'm probably going to spend tomorrow doing a light review and looking over the manual so that i can navigate it better. the exam is all about being able to find what you need in the manual. there were a couple of times during the practice exam that i got stuck on a problem because i either couldn't find what i needed in the manual or i spent a lot of time looking for something in the manual.

also, good luck tomorrow OFS!

Lord Ned Stark
04-12-2012, 21:10
good luck with that. you're probably going to be taking it with a bunch of smart *** pre-med students.

tonight is going to be another late night. i finished the practice exam and i'm currently going over the solutions. i'm probably going to spend tomorrow doing a light review and looking over the manual so that i can navigate it better. the exam is all about being able to find what you need in the manual. there were a couple of times during the practice exam that i got stuck on a problem because i either couldn't find what i needed in the manual or i spent a lot of time looking for something in the manual.

also, good luck tomorrow OFS!

indeed. the focus is on orgo 1 so i will have to go back and review that ****. ****

Dr. Doom
04-12-2012, 21:12
indeed. the focus is on orgo 1 so i will have to go back and review that ****. ****
dude, i've been reviewing pretty much everything engineering/math based i've done in college for the past month for this exam saturday. there will be a lot of celebrating if/when i pass.

onefatsurfer
04-13-2012, 04:25
Test time

onefatsurfer
04-13-2012, 08:49
AM session seemed really easy. :dunno:

Dr. Doom
04-13-2012, 08:50
AM session seemed really easy. :dunno:
nice. i'm hoping the real exam is easier than the practice one i took. i have a feeling it will be.

Dr. Doom
04-13-2012, 09:49
i just did a quick review/look over of everything for tomorrow. i feel fairly confident. i don't see how anyone that hasn't reviewed can do better than me, unless they are very lucky and i'm not :laugh:

selyar
04-13-2012, 09:53
you're going to breeze through the test.

stop studying. stop looking through stuff. just stop.

Dr. Doom
04-13-2012, 09:55
you're going to breeze through the test.

stop studying. stop looking through stuff. just stop.
i have haha. i literally looked over a couple of sections for maybe a total of 5-10 min today.

i feel as ready as i could be. i think it will come down to calming myself down and not getting overwhelmed by 4 hour sections.

Dr. Doom
04-13-2012, 19:32
i need to figure out how i'm going to fall asleep at a reasonable hour, so that i can wake up at 5. i'm so afraid that i'm going to forget something.

selyar
04-13-2012, 20:11
i need to figure out how i'm going to fall asleep at a reasonable hour, so that i can wake up at 5. i'm so afraid that i'm going to forget something.

Go to bed.

You won't forget anything. All of the answers are in the formula book.

Good luck.

onefatsurfer
04-13-2012, 20:45
Good luck, dude. You'll be fine.

Dr. Doom
04-14-2012, 02:03
I just woke up. And by forget something, I meant my calculator or my registration haha

onefatsurfer
04-14-2012, 04:12
Watch for tricky conversion problems. Make sure the equations you use that you have the right units. Good luck!

Dr. Doom
04-14-2012, 15:02
i just got home. the morning was easy. the afternoon was hard. i'm hoping others had a hard time on the afternoon section too.

i knew i would forget something though. good thing it was only my lunch.

Tao Jones
04-14-2012, 15:06
When do you get your results?

Dr. Doom
04-14-2012, 15:09
When do you get your results?
i have no clue :laugh:

i don't even know if they are mailed or posted online.

selyar
04-14-2012, 16:17
mailed. over the summer. it takes like 85 years to grade the stupid thing.

congrats on being done! i'm sure you did fine.

go have a beer.

Dr. Doom
04-14-2012, 16:23
mailed. over the summer. it takes like 85 years to grade the stupid thing.

congrats on being done! i'm sure you did fine.

go have a beer.
i'm already drinking rum.

if for some reason i don't pass, i think i'm going to take the general next time. some of those ME questions were ridiculous. it seemed like a lot of them weren't even in the manual.

Dr. Doom
04-16-2012, 08:46
http://chzragecomics.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/rage-comics-but-it-looks-kinda-naughty.png

selyar
04-16-2012, 09:47
e is a number :sarcasm:

and the answer is ln(e^(2x)+1)-x

Dr. Doom
04-16-2012, 09:48
you're supposed to laugh!

nerd!

selyar
04-16-2012, 09:53
i laughed first.

then got my pencil.

then said **** this.

and got my calculator.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n613/stephanieelyar/2012-04-16125101.jpg

Devilsfanatic
04-16-2012, 09:59
your name is written on it.

selyar
04-16-2012, 10:05
yes it is.

we all had the same calculator in school so everyone had some sort of distinguishing characteristic on theirs.

there is also a green circle sticker on the cover with a heart in it that someone took off of a banana and stuck on my calculator cover.

and my name is scratched into the plastic onto the back too where there is a "NAME" spot.

my titanium was my lifeline in college. i carried extra batteries at all times.

i know someone who would put their name like inside the battery compartment or some **** so that even if someone tried to claim it as theirs he had all these secret places to check.

Devilsfanatic
04-16-2012, 10:07
All that stuff makes my brain cry.

It does not muh, muh, muh, make me happy.

vonbonds
04-16-2012, 10:12
No HP RPN calculator? Can it do RPN? Someone tell DF what RPN stands for..:laugh:

selyar
04-16-2012, 10:22
No HP RPN calculator? Can it do RPN? Someone tell DF what RPN stands for..:laugh:

get with the times! screw that RPN crap. :laugh:

vonbonds
04-16-2012, 10:24
get with the times! screw that RPN crap. :laugh:

I grew up with my dad always using an HP RPN calculator. It is all I know :).

Devilsfanatic
04-16-2012, 10:24
Real ***** N-words is my guess.

vonbonds
04-16-2012, 10:36
Real ***** N-words is my guess.

Awesome guess and I hope they rename it to yours for the record.

Reverse Polish notation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

vonbonds
04-16-2012, 13:47
http://www.randomfunnypicture.com/pictures/1133Gtfo_*****.jpg

Seemed most appropriate here..lol.

Dr. Doom
04-16-2012, 15:43
i'm not strong enough to resist *****.

selyar
04-16-2012, 16:18
moar boooooooooobs

/ofs

selyar
04-16-2012, 18:51
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/574951_618462276479_199802003_32098583_219328116_n .jpg

Dr. Doom
04-16-2012, 22:08
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2la4m1ld81qmw4gso1_500.jpg

onefatsurfer
04-18-2012, 08:08
Now I really hope I passed the PE. Confirmed ~10% raise if I did.

Dr. Doom
04-18-2012, 08:12
I'm starting to worry that I didn't pass the FE. I don't think I did well in the afternoon. I was talking to someone yesterday and he was talking about how he knew the answers to questions I didn't know in the afternoon and how they weren't that hard.

onefatsurfer
04-18-2012, 08:15
I'm starting to worry that I didn't pass the FE. I don't think I did well in the afternoon. I was talking to someone yesterday and he was talking about how he knew the answers to questions I didn't know in the afternoon and how they weren't that hard.

relax. your friend probably got them wrong, and if not, you probably got other ones right that he got wrong. you passed. only complete morons fail that test.

vonbonds
04-18-2012, 08:25
relax. your friend probably got them wrong, and if not, you probably got other ones right that he got wrong. you passed. only complete morons fail that test.

Morons and fags...and jerks. Those are the people that fail their FE exam. I know these things, I have a masters in geography which is totally relevant to this topic.

onefatsurfer
04-18-2012, 08:31
Morons and fags...and jerks. Those are the people that fail their FE exam. I know these things, I have a masters in geography which is totally relevant to this topic.

you're right, i probably shouldn't have generalized like that. not many people who actually study for it and are intelligent enough to graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering from a decent school fail. how's that?

vonbonds
04-18-2012, 08:37
you're right, i probably shouldn't have generalized like that. not many people who actually study for it and are intelligent enough to graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering from a decent school fail. how's that?

Not nearly good enough. He is in a weakened state right now. You need to go for the kill shot. Only the strong survive!

Dr. Doom
04-18-2012, 13:06
you guys are going to have to try way harder than that to rattle me haha.

the person i was talking to is one of the smartest people in my classes.

onefatsurfer
04-18-2012, 13:22
You're fucked then.

Dr. Doom
04-18-2012, 13:28
meh. i guess i'll just have to live at the beach as a bartender for the rest of my life than.

onefatsurfer
04-18-2012, 13:31
meh. i guess i'll just have to live at the beach as a bartender for the rest of my life than.

and see asses like that on a regular basis? wouldn't be a bad life...

Dr. Doom
04-18-2012, 13:33
and see asses like that on a regular basis? wouldn't be a bad life...
yeah, now that i think of it, what the **** am i doing?

i'm gonna open a restaurant at the beach.

Dr. Doom
04-18-2012, 13:51
i was just talking to some more people about the FE and i'm feeling better about how i did.

selyar
04-18-2012, 16:16
seriously? you're worried? you've got like a 3.7 or something in engineering. you're obviously not a moron. you passed.

Dr. Doom
04-18-2012, 17:58
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2fgqbz6oy1qb2gs0o1_500.jpg

Dr. Doom
04-20-2012, 09:01
http://i39.tinypic.com/2gvrb5d.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/261yufk.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/akjwiq.jpg

vonbonds
04-20-2012, 09:29
So exactly how does it make my ***** bigger?

Dr. Doom
04-20-2012, 09:30
Sorry can't help you with that :laugh:

Lord Ned Stark
04-20-2012, 20:49
i'm reading all the orgo practice exam solutions right now and this **** is blowing my mind.

Dr. Doom
04-22-2012, 11:00
i have another manufacturing exam tomorrow. i really don't want to study right now.

i have so much going on this week. there's a bunch of stupid **** i have to do for my senior project before it is officially done. i also have 2 interviews this week.

long story short, this is going to be an interesting week.

Dr. Doom
04-23-2012, 11:46
i have an exam in an hr. i hate having to wait so late to get it over with.

selyar
04-23-2012, 11:49
you're gonna clean up that wiring job right?

Dr. Doom
04-23-2012, 11:51
yeah haha. it isn't a big deal because our project is more theory than anything. the professors for the class asked the same thing when we did our demo :laugh:

selyar
04-23-2012, 11:55
yes and no. this isn't just some class project, so like how it looks its kind of important too.

Dr. Doom
04-23-2012, 11:58
don't worry it will be all pretty. ours isn't like the other projects though, which have to really worry about how they look.

btw, i should have a youtube video by next week.

selyar
04-23-2012, 12:01
ok cool. do you have to write a paper? do a presentation? you get all this **** done yet? you've got like a month left right? what else is on your plate?

Dr. Doom
04-23-2012, 12:03
ok cool. do you have to write a paper? do a presentation? you get all this **** done yet? you've got like a month left right? what else is on your plate?
2 weeks left.

poster, video, paper, and two presentations.

job stuff and finals pretty much.

selyar
04-23-2012, 12:14
nice. 2 weeks is nothing. that's gonna fly. where is your other interview? one with globalfoundries and who else?

Dr. Doom
04-23-2012, 12:16
PSEG. It's a video recording one. I'm going to do it tonight.

selyar
04-23-2012, 12:21
hahaha that one. ok. good luck!

i still haven't heard from them after i went down there for an interview. i was pretty sure i bombed it anyway. although they did say we'd hear either way.

whatever. i don't want that job.

Dr. Doom
04-23-2012, 12:23
i have a really good feeling about globalfoundries. i'm not so sure about pseg.

Dr. Doom
04-23-2012, 12:46
well it's exam time

Dr. Doom
04-24-2012, 06:56
well good morning to you too
i didn't want to get out of bed today. also, i sent that presentation to you. thanks.

selyar
04-24-2012, 07:17
Shiiiit, don't tell me we are on Versus and Doc is in town.

It's over

dammit. we're finished. :scared:

i didn't want to get out of bed today. also, i sent that presentation to you. thanks.

i love how in my email back to you i almost just sent the first few lines when i say it's pretty good, then i proceeded to pick it apart slide by slide. sorry.

Dr. Doom
04-24-2012, 07:20
i like constructive criticism.

haha, i wouldn't call that picking it apart. you just said to add pictures. it's also tough because i know what i'm going to say for everything. i wish i had pictures from when i worked there but i don't.

selyar
04-24-2012, 07:39
i like constructive criticism.

haha, i wouldn't call that picking it apart. you just said to add pictures. it's also tough because i know what i'm going to say for everything. i wish i had pictures from when i worked there but i don't.

well yeah dude. who makes a powerpoint without pictures?
find something.

i left my phone at home this morning. no twitter fun for me today.

Dr. Doom
04-24-2012, 07:41
well yeah dude. who makes a powerpoint without pictures?
find something.

i left my phone at home this morning. no twitter fun for me today.
idk, i don't want to just toss pictures on there that aren't relevant to just add pictures. it's going to be a quick presentation, just something i was suggested to make when i did my phone interview.

selyar
04-24-2012, 07:55
idk, i don't want to just toss pictures on there that aren't relevant to just add pictures. it's going to be a quick presentation, just something i was suggested to make when i did my phone interview.

well yes, obviously they should be relevant.

selyar
04-24-2012, 08:10
we got banished.

Devilsfanatic
04-24-2012, 08:12
You guys have your place. To the back of the bus with you, Rosa Parks.

Dr. Doom
04-24-2012, 08:51
well yes, obviously they should be relevant.
i added some pictures and fixed some things. i'll sift through the clipart pictures later.

selyar
04-24-2012, 12:26
yo kid, incoming job prospect in your school inbox.

onefatsurfer
04-24-2012, 12:28
boss: hey ofs, how long will it take you to do a full hydraulic study for this stream? we don't have any clue how big it is and a major roadway may or may not feed into it.

me: do we have any info at all about it? if there's a decent amount of info, maybe a week

boss: no info that i know of. i'll put down 20 hours on this proposal. ::troll face::

selyar
04-24-2012, 12:32
lulz

vonbonds
04-24-2012, 12:38
boss: hey ofs, how long will it take you to do a full hydraulic study for this stream? we don't have any clue how big it is and a major roadway may or may not feed into it.

me: do we have any info at all about it? if there's a decent amount of info, maybe a week

boss: no info that i know of. i'll put down 20 hours on this proposal. ::troll face::

lulz

If you want real lulz take your job and add the pressure to meet your quota each quarter with the same parameters..:laugh:. There is no greener side, I am convinced of it now.

onefatsurfer
04-24-2012, 12:41
oh, you mean be 100% billable and don't have any of your jobs run over budget? yeah, i have that pressure too.

vonbonds
04-24-2012, 12:48
oh, you mean be 100% billable and don't have any of your jobs run over budget? yeah, i have that pressure too.

That's my point. No matter what job you have there is no "the other side is greener".

Dr. Doom
04-24-2012, 13:03
yo kid, incoming job prospect in your school inbox.
thanks. i'll shoot her an email tonight or tomorrow. should i mention your name?

that really sucks. sounds like he knew how shitty it was and just pawned it off on you.

selyar
04-24-2012, 13:06
thanks. i'll shoot her an email tonight or tomorrow. should i mention your name?

yeah sure. i copied her on the email so she has your email addy too. send her your resume. they might not like you for the position she propositioned me for, but maybe they have something else

Dr. Doom
04-25-2012, 13:44
that lady called me today. she said the job that she sent you was for someone right now, but she would keep me in mind for the future.

Dr. Doom
04-25-2012, 14:55
motivation levels are at an all time low