PDA

View Full Version : The Prospect Thread: Pan out, bitches.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-06-2012, 15:22
Didn't see a prospect thread and I don't want to post this info in the AHL thread. All prospect discussion here.

@MattSlovin: David Conte, Vice President of the New Jersey Devils, on negotiations with Michigan's Jon Merrill: "I don't think there are (any)."

@MattSlovin: Conte went on to say that the Devils respect Merrill's decision to remain in a "great" hockey environment in Ann Arbor.

@MattSlovin: Conte's comments certainly point to Merrill remaining at Michigan for his junior year. But Devils are excited about his future upside.

I think he's staying for his junior year and I don't hate it. Get a full, dominant season under your belt and then bring the rain in the pros.

Our last active CHL prospect this season is a dude by the name of Scott Wedgewood. He'll be in net for the Whale tonight against Kitchener in game one of their second round series.

Wedge posted a 4-2 record in the first round to go along with a 2.31 GAA and a .929 SVP.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 15:24
I'm still saying that I wouldn't be surprised if Merrill plays out his whole college career.

Clarkson Falls Down
04-06-2012, 15:37
I'm still saying that I wouldn't be surprised if Merrill plays out his whole college career.

Me neither. I'm fine either way.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-06-2012, 15:41
With the way Berenson is whining and bitching about players leaving, it wouldn't surprise me either.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-06-2012, 16:06
DF - can we get this stickied?

Devilsfanatic
04-06-2012, 16:10
Nope.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 16:10
With the way Berenson is whining and bitching about players leaving, it wouldn't surprise me either.

He's been bitching about players abandoning their commitments and running off to the OHL. been burned by two goalies, Gibson and Campbell, and several players. Obviously he can't say it but these kids are being paid to play for these teams.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 16:12
Also I hope Merrill doesn't stick around for all 4 years. I can live with one more but his game has surpassed the competition level at the college level. I'd like him to face a tougher challenge but it is what it is. One more year wont hurt.

Getzo5
04-06-2012, 16:20
Also I hope Merrill doesn't stick around for all 4 years. I can live with one more but his game has surpassed the competition level at the college level. I'd like him to face a tougher challenge but it is what it is. One more year wont hurt.This.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-06-2012, 16:35
Scoreless so far in Plymouth. Shots are 7-1 Kitchener.

@PWhalers: Wedge with some big stops so far.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-06-2012, 16:45
Scoreless after one in Plymouth, Wedge had ten saves in the first frame.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 17:14
He's been bitching about players abandoning their commitments and running off to the OHL. been burned by two goalies, Gibson and Campbell, and several players. Obviously he can't say it but these kids are being paid to play for these teams.
He was bitching about all the players that left for the NHL after they got eliminated from the tournament this season. He was talking about how he was disappointed they they didn't finish college and that type of bullshit.

Scoreless after one in Plymouth, Wedge had ten saves in the first frame.
I love Wedge. I can't wait until he goes pro.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:28
He was bitching about all the players that left for the NHL after they got eliminated from the tournament this season. He was talking about how he was disappointed they they didn't finish college and that type of bullshit.

Must have missed those comments. Can you please link me to it?

I don't get what he would be complaining about in this case. We only lost one guy early and that was Chris Brown. Everyone else who has left is out of eligibility, Pateryn, Hunwick, Wohlberg, ect.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 17:31
Must have missed those comments. Can you please link me to it?

I don't get what he would be complaining about in this case. We only lost one guy early and that was Chris Brown. Everyone else who has left is out of eligibility, Pateryn, Hunwick, Wohlberg, ect.
c'mon you aren't going to make me search for them haha. he said it after Wohlberg left and when the Goalie left, and maybe when someone else left. maybe someone more generous and with more free time can help you out :laugh:

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:34
The only comments I've read from Berenson were after Brown left but it wasnt really bitching. He just stated why he thinks seniors should stay. If people think thats Berenson complaining then they haven't read enough comments from Red. haha

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 17:36
The only comments I've read from Berenson were after Brown left but it wasnt really bitching. He just stated why he thinks seniors should stay. If people think thats Berenson complaining then they haven't read enough comments from Red. haha
There was more. He was pretty annoyed when people kept leaving. There was some quote where he mentioned staying in the NCAA being better than playing in the AHL.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:37
There was more. He was pretty annoyed when people kept leaving. There was some quote where he mentioned staying in the NCAA being better than playing in the AHL.

Only one guy left.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 17:39
Only one guy left.
It had to do with Wohlberg not finishing school and missing some team dinner because he went to the AHL. Idk man, I'm paraphrasing.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-06-2012, 17:44
Reider gets one by Wedge. 1-0 Kitchener, shots are 24-16 Whalers after two.

Side note: I'd love us to pick up Thomas Wilson from Plymouth. 6'4", ~200 lbs; 141 PIM's this year; only 27 points in he regular season, but already five in six games in the playoffs.

According to the Whalers twitter feed, he laid an enormous hit tonight that "woke up the crowd".

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:46
Well paraphrasing is how things get blown out of proportion.

Not to mention at the end of season dinner, which Wohlberg missed due to signing with the Devils, Berenson praised Wohlberg and called him a great leader. This is why I need direct quotes dammit! hahahaha

Darius Dangleaitis
04-06-2012, 17:46
It's not just players leaving early with Berenson. He took a shot at Wohlberg not attending the team banquet to end the year, saying something along the lines of "the pros don't have time for team banquets".

Sorry Wohlberg doesn't have time for your pasta party, Red.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:47

Side note: I'd love us to pick up Thomas Wilson from Plymouth. 6'4", ~200 lbs; 141 PIM's this year; only 27 points in he regular season, but already five in six games in the playoffs.

According to the Whalers twitter feed, he laid an enormous hit tonight that "woke up the crowd".

Doom and I will both like to disagree haha

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:47
It's not just players leaving early with Berenson. He took a shot at Wohlberg not attending the team banquet to end the year, saying something along the lines of "the pros don't have time for team banquets".

Sorry Wohlberg doesn't have time for your pasta party, Red.

While calling him a great leader....

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 17:48

I'm not a fan of taking Wilson. He is a very safe pick though. He doesn't seem to have the offensive skills to really do much in the NHL. He most likely tops off as a bottom 6 player.

Not to mention at the end of season dinner, which Wohlberg missed due to signing with the Devils, Berenson praised Wohlberg and called him a great leader. This is why I need direct quotes dammit! hahahaha
Blown out of proportion? It's not like I'm talking to the media haha.

Search the HF AHL thread. It should be around when Wohlberg signed.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-06-2012, 17:50

Well don't I feel like a jackass now. I guess I should have searched for the entire interview.

Damned beat reporters.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 17:50
Doom and I will both like to disagree haha
I like how you knew I didn't like him before I said anything haha.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:51
I like how you knew I didn't like him before I said anything haha.

we discussed this in the draft thread i believe.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-06-2012, 17:53
What do you guys have against Wilson? Legitimately curious. I've never seen him play.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 17:54
we discussed this in the draft thread i believe.
i know haha.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 17:55
What do you guys have against Wilson? Legitimately curious. I've never seen him play.
I kind of explained and it's hard to take it much further. His offensive skills aren't really top 6 quality. It seems like the classic "going for the next great power forward" pick that turns out to just be a checker.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 17:59
I kind of explained and it's hard to take it much further. His offensive skills aren't really top 6 quality. It seems like the classic "going for the next great power forward" pick that turns out to just be a checker.

Yup as I described it your thinking you are drafting the next Lucic but what you really get is the next Mike Rupp. More times then not that is how it turns out with these guys.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-06-2012, 18:48
Ah, so Nick Palmieri syndrome.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-06-2012, 18:49
Plymouth falls 2-0 to Kitchener. Wedge with 28 saves.

He can't score goals. The rest of the team needs to pick it up.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 19:50
Ah, so Nick Palmieri syndrome.
I'm not sure if that's a good example because Wilson loves to use his weight and size, while Palmieri never used it to his advantage. Wilson could become a good player in the NHL, but he would have to work on a lot of things and it would take a while for him to have an impact.

Plymouth falls 2-0 to Kitchener. Wedge with 28 saves.

He can't score goals. The rest of the team needs to pick it up.
Plymouth is odd sometimes. They have so much talent, yet sometimes it seems like they can't put it together. Then they put everything together and they look like one of the best teams in the CHL.

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 22:16
them not having Noesen really hurt not to mention Gibson is a tough guy to score on.

Dr. Doom
04-06-2012, 22:17
them not having Noesen really hurt not to mention Gibson is a tough guy to score on.
what happened to Noesen?

devilzrule27
04-06-2012, 22:18
Broken finger

Darius Dangleaitis
04-07-2012, 12:01
We're at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to undrafted NCAA prospects because we don't promise them immediate NHL playing time.

Example: My dad ran into Lou on the concourse a couple years back and asked him why he didn't sign Bobby Butler (from UNH). Lou told my dad that they tried and really liked him as a prospect, but Ottawa offered him immediate NHL playing time.

Devilsfanatic
04-07-2012, 12:09
I want Schultz. He could get immediate NHL playing time.

devilzrule27
04-07-2012, 12:22
We're at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to undrafted NCAA prospects because we don't promise them immediate NHL playing time.

Example: My dad ran into Lou on the concourse a couple years back and asked him why he didn't sign Bobby Butler (from UNH). Lou told my dad that they tried and really liked him as a prospect, but Ottawa offered him immediate NHL playing time.

Most teams tend not to. Desperate teams will. Just look at last years crop, most signed and played in the AHL this year, Paul Thompson Andy Miele Mike Sislo ect. Spencer Abbott signed in Toronto and is in the AHL. Jeremy Welsh will more then likely spend some time in Charlotte.

Also Bobby Butler get stuffed in the minors in Ottawa too. He didn't get NHL time until the ed of the year.

Anyway I'm interested to see who will sign Jack Connolly. I would love to get him but I doubt we will. We'll just end up with Kelly Zajac, which I'm ok with. haha

Devilsfanatic
04-07-2012, 12:26
The Leafs had signed Stalberg and Bozak and put them in right away. Christian Hanson as well.

devilzrule27
04-07-2012, 12:28
The Leafs had signed Stalberg and Bozak and put them in right away. Christian Hanson as well.

Thats cause the Leafs are always desperate.

Devilsfanatic
04-07-2012, 12:35
I love how Stahlberg worked out, but for Chicago.

Dr. Doom
04-07-2012, 12:38
Stalberg went to UVM

Darius Dangleaitis
04-08-2012, 11:24
Most teams tend not to. Desperate teams will. Just look at last years crop, most signed and played in the AHL this year, Paul Thompson Andy Miele Mike Sislo ect. Spencer Abbott signed in Toronto and is in the AHL. Jeremy Welsh will more then likely spend some time in Charlotte.

Also Bobby Butler get stuffed in the minors in Ottawa too. He didn't get NHL time until the ed of the year.

Anyway I'm interested to see who will sign Jack Connolly. I would love to get him but I doubt we will. We'll just end up with Kelly Zajac, which I'm ok with. haha

I'm talking about right away. Yeah, Butler played most of his first full season in the AHL, but when he was signed at the end of his senior season, they played him in a few NHL games.

Just look at this year:

Torrey Krug, Boston
Jeremy Welsh, Carolina
JT Brown, Tampa

Those are three of your premier UDFA's, and all three have seen NHL time this season. You can bet that Lou was in on at least one, but those teams probably offered some games with the big club to end this year. Lou won't do that, which is completely legit.

And yeah, I'll be very happy if we pick up Kelly Zajac. Back to back 42-point seasons is very impressive. He was a huge part of Union's success, along with Welsh of course.

Dr. Doom
04-08-2012, 11:27
I'd be shocked if we didn't get Zajac. We pretty much already have the whole family, what's one more? :laugh:

Devilsfanatic
04-08-2012, 11:29
I'm surprised Kelly Zajac was never drafted. I think he's the most talented out of all the Zajacs.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-08-2012, 11:37
We should keep an eye on Nolan, the youngest brother, who's heading to Denver in the fall. He's an offensive-minded defenseman.

He was invited to prospects camp this past year, but couldn't make it. Darcy and Kelly were there.

Devilsfanatic
04-08-2012, 11:38
Oh, that's who I meant. Whoever the defenseman is. He's the most talented of em all.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-08-2012, 11:43
Kelly and Nolan sound like fine prospects. Keep Darcy around just to appease the rest:biglaugh:.

Devilsfanatic
04-08-2012, 11:45
Darcy will see time here some day, I guarantee it. The New Jersey Zajacs. Hell, Kelly was at prospect camp this year.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-08-2012, 13:21
Are there any sites that stream junior games? Would love to watch Wedge tonight.

devilzrule27
04-08-2012, 13:27
Are there any sites that stream junior games? Would love to watch Wedge tonight.

none that I've found for free. OHL streams its games for a price though.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-08-2012, 13:42
Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and buy the game.

Dr. Doom
04-08-2012, 13:45
Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and buy the game.
I'd check the price first. From what I've read some of those streams are really crappy even if you pay for them.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-08-2012, 14:07
It's $7.

devilzrule27
04-08-2012, 14:09
I'd check the price first. From what I've read some of those streams are really crappy even if you pay for them.

It's like the AHL. They stream what they can get, whether thats a TV broadcast or the jumbotron feed. Better chance for a good stream since it's the playoffs but who knows.

Dr. Doom
04-08-2012, 14:19
It's $7.
Yikes! I think I remember listening to OHL playoff games on the radio last year.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-08-2012, 18:25
Wedge posts a shutout as the Whalers win 2-0. Series is tied 1-1.

Dr. Doom
04-08-2012, 20:49
Wedge posts a shutout as the Whalers win 2-0. Series is tied 1-1.
Wedge is gonna Wedge.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-14-2012, 18:47
Plymouth wins 3-0 tonight, Wedge stopped 32 shots for the shutout.

He's now running at 7-4, 2.09, .935, and two shutouts.

Only Brandon Maxwell from Mississauga has a better GAA, and Barrie eliminated his *** in the first round.

Only Gibson from Kitchener and Niederberger from Barrie have better save percentages.

No other goalie has more than one shutout.

Wedge gonna wedge.

Devilsfanatic
04-14-2012, 18:49
Could be a Plymouth-London Western Conference finals. I would love that, I will go cheer against the Knights in that case.

Devilsfanatic
04-15-2012, 10:07
Well, London has done their part. Wedgewood will get a shot to knock out the Rangers.

Darius Dangleaitis
04-15-2012, 12:22
Puck drops at 7:05 tonight in Kitchener.