PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Maple Leafs: Does Dion Phaneuf Deserve the Captaincy?

kbooks
07-05-2012, 11:59
There has been controversy surrounding Dion Phaneuf ever since he was awarded the captaincy of the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2010. Many don't believe he is a good enough player to wear the C for the most storied franchise in hockey history.

Well, the honest question is, who is a better fit to wear it?

Think about that, and don't kid yourself in claiming that Jake Gardiner deserves the captaincy. He has had one good year in the NHL, and hasn't developed leadership qualities necessary to captain a team. Plus, the pressure of the captaincy, especially in Toronto, will most likely be to much for a player who only has a single season in the NHL under his belt,

Phil Kessel? He may be their best offensive player, but you need a captain who leads by example in all zones and situations. Plus I don't feel as if Kessel is very vocal in the dressing room. That is speculation, but nonetheless, does anyone really disagree with me?

Michail Grabovski just signed a contract extension this year with the Leafs, and looks to be around for the long run. The second line center has a lot of heart and never seems to give up on plays. He would be an interesting option, but his lack of game-breaking impact (be it offensively or defensively) makes me see him as more of an assistant captain for the Leafs.

If he were willing to sign a long-term extension, I would think that Joffrey Lupul would be one of the top candidates for the Leafs' Captaincy. He is a point-per-game player that isn't afraid to go into the corners after the puck and his energy is endless.

He's not going to win the Selke any time soon, but he can hold his own against most players in his own end and is better than most think defensively. He is a vocal leader and already a fan favorite in Toronto.

http://www.lockerpulse.com/News/Toronto-Maple-Leafs-Does-Dion-Phaneuf-Deserve-the-Captaincy-S4009302/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Toronto-Maple-Leafs