PDA

View Full Version : A Great Canadian Story: Matt Finn & Connor Brown

kbooks
07-06-2012, 10:44
The basis of almost every great movie is friendship.

Think of it: Marty McFly and Doc Brown in Back to the Future; Buzz and Woody in Toy Story; Stanley Ipkiss and Milo in The Mask; The Fantastic Four; the whole clan in The Goonies – I could go at this for hours.

When asked to write short stories in elementary school, I always cast my best friends in leading roles. All of us drove around in Dodge Vipers and solved cottage mysteries (listen, I never said they were any good). The idea of my core group being the perfect concoction of whit, skill, personality and performance to attain ultimate success – whether it be fame, fortune or heroics – kept my imagination busy for years.

It’s this same element which makes great the tale of four boys out of Akron, Ohio, winning on every level of basketball from the age of 11 on up. It was a team centring around this budding forward named Lebron. Perhaps you’ve heard of him.

In Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on a Saturday afternoon in late June, another chapter was written in such a tale. As Brian Burke made the remainder of his draft selections, two friends were united under a blue and white banner continuing a story 15 years in the making.

It starts something like this.

Matthew was three, and like every three year old he likely had the help of his mother when it came to tying his skates for the first time at Centennial Park Arena.

As he looked around ahead of his first skating lesson Matthew took note of, and pointed to, a boy of the same age wearing the identical shirt. Their mothers had coincidentally dressed the two in matching outfits. It was enough to catch Matthew’s eye, and draw his mothers attention to his observation. So as their youngsters took to the ice for skating lesson, Mrs. Finn and Mrs. Brown (the mother of the similarly dressed boy) exchanged pleasantries for the very first time.

It was the first meeting between Matt(hew) Finn and Connor Brown. The two boys on the ice, learning to skate for the very first time. New York Times’ best sellers don’t even start off this good.

http://blog.marlies.ca/899/