PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Blackhawks: Latest Trade Rumors, Free Agent News and One Quiet Summer

kbooks
07-16-2012, 06:32
Fourth of July vacation was great, and in the summer heat perhaps it's a sign that we are supposed to be forgetting about hockey for the time being.

I wish any of that statement were true in my world.

Every day, it's checking rumors, free agent trackers or any buzz bringing hope that the Chicago Blackhawks' offseason will become more interesting at some point.

Thus far, let's face it: it's been a drag. Stan Bowman and company could not lure in either Ryan Suter or Zach Parise and the only modest improvement they have made to their current roster—other than extending Johnny Oduya—is signing Sheldon Brookbank.

Brookbank will provide depth, but unless Bowman does something else more significant this summer, the 'Hawks are looking at another first round exit in 2012-13.

Trade Rumors

Here's the first tip on trade rumors: don't believe everything you hear. Three or four days ago people were consumed with the idea of Roberto Luongo coming to the Windy City. Whether you like the idea or not, the odds are incredibly slim that Luongo will get dealt to Chicago.

Bowman will want to get rid of a salary like Michael Frolik's or even (gulp) Rostislav Olesz's contract. Not happening. In taking on a contract the size of Luongo's current deal and doing business with one of the 'Hawks' biggest enemies, you do not want to give them a current asset in return. My guess is that is what Canucks general manager Mike Gillis is asking for in return—and that may not happen with many clubs.
142727262_crop_340x234 Don't count on seeing "Bobby Lou" in a 'Hawks uniform next season
Rich Lam/Getty Images

Gillis is not in a negotiating spot that he wants to be in right now. After extending Corey Schneider and with Luongo's current desire to leave, the cards are stacked against Gillis to win in this trade with anybody. The sooner he realizes that he cannot make huge demands while negotiating this thing, the sooner he ships "Bobby Lou" out of town.

For those reasons, if and when Luongo gets traded, I would doubt that it will happen before August.

And it more than likely will not be to Chicago.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1252901-chicago-blackhawks-latest-trade-rumors-free-agent-news-and-one-quiet-summer