PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap

Aaron Brouwer
09-11-2012, 11:54
Just want everyone to know whats happening regarding the salary cap.

Fantrax is in the works of adding a cap floor option to their website but they have no timeline for when it will be available. Therefore we will not have a cap floor until they offer that function as it will be too hard to maintain manually with weekly line-up changes. So the cap floor won't take effect until the start of the first season after it is available. If it will be available before the start of this season, whenever it starts it will be used.

The salary cap for this pool will be 20% less then what the NHL cap is. Both floor and ceiling cap will be 20% less.

Chad
09-11-2012, 12:07
im just curious. In a money pool keeper league like this one, is having a salary floor absolutely necessary? I mean if people want to spend alot less on players, then i say so be it. Let them donate there 10 bucks or what have you and say thanks for the contribution. I understand having a floor is necessary in free fantasy leagues because you want to encourage competitiveness. However with money involved, you already have your motivation for everyone to try and win now. I think for teams who drafted young like ours who have a low team cap hit shouldn't be penalized for that and a salary floor is really not needed.

Let me give you this scenario. If all 30 owners had to submit a $1 million dollar fee at the start of the season, and the stanley cup winning owner's team got the $30 million dollars, do you not think that might encourage the smaller market teams to spend more then they would like.

I vote for no salary floor, atleast for the first season as we drafted teams not knowing the financial cap restrictions and shouldnt be penalized if your team can not get above the floor.

My 2 cents.

Coach Selly
09-11-2012, 13:55
I think that for this season, because we didn't know what the cap was when we drafted the majority of the rounds, the cap floor should not be enforced. I would like to see it go into effect for 2013-14.

This not because I think I'll be below the floor, at this point I am pretty sure that I am okay.

Coach Selly
09-12-2012, 07:39
The NHL has a cap ceiling of $70.2M and a floor of $54.2

20% of 70,200,000 is 14,040,000 which would make our ceiling $56,160,000
20% of 54,200,000 is 10,840,000 which makes our floor $43,360,000

Correct?
(As I have stated before, my math is not the best. So, if someone who is good at math could check these...)

Craig Simpson
09-12-2012, 09:30
I agree with what Chad is saying. I think perhaps its too late for this season, but I don't think the 20% reduction from the NHL is enough to really make the cap as challenging as it should. I believe the NHL's cap hit is for a 23 man roster, which means our 14 man roster is 61% of theirs. Even if its based on a 20 man roster (which I don't believe it is, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong), that's still 70% of the NHL cap with our 14-man roster. A rollback of 20% benefits those who spend a lot and penalizes those who don't spend a lot (by having an artificially comparable high ceiling and floor). I think the number should be at least 30% of the NHL's to really have the equivalent difficulty. I understand that the bottom six positions we are missing are probably the lowest paid positions in the NHL, but I'm looking at cap numbers and I see its not that challenging to have a lot of big money players on your roster.

hamhocks
09-12-2012, 10:54
I agree with what Chad is saying. I think perhaps its too late for this season, but I don't think the 20% reduction from the NHL is enough to really make the cap as challenging as it should. I believe the NHL's cap hit is for a 23 man roster, which means our 14 man roster is 61% of theirs. Even if its based on a 20 man roster (which I don't believe it is, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong), that's still 70% of the NHL cap with our 14-man roster. A rollback of 20% benefits those who spend a lot and penalizes those who don't spend a lot (by having an artificially comparable high ceiling and floor). I think the number should be at least 30% of the NHL's to really have the equivalent difficulty. I understand that the bottom six positions we are missing are probably the lowest paid positions in the NHL, but I'm looking at cap numbers and I see its not that challenging to have a lot of big money players on your roster.

I totally agree and actually stated something similiar in a different thread. It reduces the challenge even further when only counting active players, you can bury an overpaid player on your reserves with nominal penalty. I had suggested that the NHL cap is $3.05m per man and that should be ours or at least very close to that figure. 30% is closer at $3.5M per man vs. 20% is $4M per man.
That is my 2 cents.

Craig Simpson
09-12-2012, 13:49
I totally agree and actually stated something similiar in a different thread. It reduces the challenge even further when only counting active players, you can bury an overpaid player on your reserves with nominal penalty. I had suggested that the NHL cap is $3.05m per man and that should be ours or at least very close to that figure. 30% is closer at $3.5M per man vs. 20% is $4M per man.
That is my 2 cents.

I guess it was your comment I read, not Chad's, that I agreed with (though I agree with his premise). Should pay more attention. It was your numbers that confirmed what I was thinking and I did a bit more number crunching to confirm I wasn't out to lunch.

Aaron Brouwer
09-13-2012, 09:14
I like this discussion. In order to mirror the NHL, how about we use this formula to decide our cap:

KEEPER POOL CAP CEILING - NHL cap ceiling divided by 23 multiply by 14

KEEPER POOL CAP FLOOR - NHL cap floor divided by 23 multiply by 14

Unless there is another suggestion with strong reasons this seems to make the most logical sense.

I also agree that for the first year there will be no cap floor but once fantrax offers it as a function it will be in place for the start of the first season it is offered (minus of course this season).

Craig Simpson
09-13-2012, 11:31
I think that makes the most sense. Good call.

Coach Selly
09-13-2012, 11:39
I like this discussion. In order to mirror the NHL, how about we use this formula to decide our cap:

KEEPER POOL CAP CEILING - NHL cap ceiling divided by 23 multiply by 14

KEEPER POOL CAP FLOOR - NHL cap floor divided by 23 multiply by 14

Unless there is another suggestion with strong reasons this seems to make the most logical sense.

I also agree that for the first year there will be no cap floor but once fantrax offers it as a function it will be in place for the start of the first season it is offered (minus of course this season).

I am a little confused by this: so it $70.2M divided by 23 x 14? That's only approximately $42,730,435. This seems very low to me :dunno:

Am I doing this completely wrong? Could someone please post what our actual cap ceiling is in $?
Thanks much.

Aaron Brouwer
09-14-2012, 14:25
Your math is correct Selly. Thats an average of $3M per player

Coach Selly
09-15-2012, 03:17
Alrightu, thanks.

Craig Simpson
10-21-2012, 15:57
One thing about the cap calculation is that we only have three lines and 2 defense pairs. Generally the 3rd pair defense and the 4th line players are WAY below average salary. I'm afraid we will end up having a lot of very good players with high cap hits not playing here. Looking through some of the teams, it could be a struggle, but maybe that's part of the fun, I don't know.

Chara's Coke
10-22-2012, 08:26
I have to agree with Craig. The current cap may work proportionally, but in reality that limits any team's usage of elite players(for instance, the guy who drafted Ovie now has just 32mil to spend on 13 guys).

Currently 12 of the 28 teams (43%) in the league are 'over'-capped ... some extremely so. Of the remaining 16, another 10 (including my own) are only 'cap legal' through the burying of one or more significant contracts.

So, in my estimation just six of our league's franchises are under-cap without messily benching a starter - or several.

I believe that a salary-cap is useful in promoting movement. I think that an excessively-high cap would be counter-productive, but right now, most teams are going to be forced to bench one or many good starters just to get solvent and that just feels like a waste.

I'd guess a ceiling in the realm of 45-to-50 million would work at least nominally better than the current level. Several franchises would remain over (actually still well-over), but that would still potentially create the activity we're seeking while limiting the number of benched starters per team.

hamhocks
10-22-2012, 10:24
My opinion: Some good points are made that a cap increase should be considered based on the fact the 4th line fwds and 3rd pairing dman(less expensive players) are part of NHL cap but not our starting lineups. I believe a small increase should be discussed/reviewed. But everyone should keep in mind, many owners drafted with NHL like salary cap in mind. Just one example; I passed over high priced guys like Carter, Cole, Koivu, and Vanak to take Stepan, knowing i was maybe giving up some production, which i would never do if cap was really soft. As such, i think to be fair too all, though an increase as you suggest is in order, I think it should still be a competitive cap. A suggestion, if it were increased 5% would be $44,866; 6%=$45,293 or 7%=$45,721; one of these seems about right to me. If the decision is made to increase we should stay with percents so our transition with new CBA will be easier. Again, my opinion.

Coach Selly
10-22-2012, 11:20
My opinion: Some good points are made that a cap increase should be considered based on the fact the 4th line fwds and 3rd pairing dman(less expensive players) are part of NHL cap but not our starting lineups. I believe a small increase should be discussed/reviewed. But everyone should keep in mind, many owners drafted with NHL like salary cap in mind. Just one example; I passed over high priced guys like Carter, Cole, Koivu, and Vanak to take Stepan, knowing i was maybe giving up some production, which i would never do if cap was really soft. As such, i think to be fair too all, though an increase as you suggest is in order, I think it should still be a competitive cap. A suggestion, if it were increased 5% would be $44,866; 6%=$45,293 or 7%=$45,721; one of these seems about right to me. If the decision is made to increase we should stay with percents so our transition with new CBA will be easier. Again, my opinion.

I am in agreement with an increase in our cap of one of these types. Any more than a 5-7% increase is unfair to those of us who drafted with a cap in mind. Part of the challenge of a capped league is having to be creative to stay under the cap and this league was announced as a capped league from the beginning.

I'll bet that the majority of the teams that are well over the cap are the teams that allowed themselves to be autodrafted for the majority of their picks. This is their own fault(s) for not taking the time to set a list for themselves. They will have to deal with the problem by making trades and/or by picking up waived players or free agents and releasing others.

1duxfan
10-22-2012, 18:16
I am in agreement with an increase in our cap of one of these types. Any more than a 5-7% increase is unfair to those of us who drafted with a cap in mind. Part of the challenge of a capped league is having to be creative to stay under the cap and this league was announced as a capped league from the beginning.

I'll bet that the majority of the teams that are well over the cap are the teams that allowed themselves to be autodrafted for the majority of their picks. This is their own fault(s) for not taking the time to set a list for themselves. They will have to deal with the problem by making trades and/or by picking up waived players or free agents and releasing others.

Yep, I did draft with the 20% less than NHL in mind...and would be in compliance however the other calculation puts me over. So a simple 5% increase would make me in compliance. I thought the cap was the 20% less than current caps...so thats how I picked players. I think we should allow the 5% increase at this time, or when the season starts.

ChrisWassel
10-22-2012, 21:56
Personally I think it is a challenge but not a big deal, do you always play some of your top guys? Not always...given matchups, etc. I do believe the cap should be in the 45-48 million range or 75-80% of 60 million. Why? Simple the new cap when it goes in effect in the 2013-14 season is going to be around there. Might as well get used to playing at that. That being said, if we have to play with the rules in place, then we must.

Coach Selly
10-23-2012, 05:19
Personally I think it is a challenge but not a big deal, do you always play some of your top guys? Not always...given matchups, etc. I do believe the cap should be in the 45-48 million range or 75-80% of 60 million. Why? Simple the new cap when it goes in effect in the 2013-14 season is going to be around there. Might as well get used to playing at that. That being said, if we have to play with the rules in place, then we must.
Well said.

Craig Simpson
10-23-2012, 07:33
I'm one of the cap compliant teams, so I'm not trying to cover my own mistakes and am perfectly happy living with the current cap. I just looked through many other rosters and thought a lot of really good players may not be on active rosters with the cap where it is. I'm not advocating for a big increase in cap, only a small one as others have suggested to compensate for the 4th line/3rd pairing D that the NHL has and we don't. Perhaps, though, the fair thing would be to run a season and see how it works since the rule was put in place already.

Coach Selly
11-13-2012, 09:18
Thank you all very much for participating in the 2 Salary Cap polls on the FantasyHockeyCoach.com site.
The poll closed with a tie between:
6% = $45,293,000
- and -
7% = $45,721,000
(each of these amounts received 5 votes)

The BOG voted and decided to split the difference between the 2 amounts and increase the cap to 6.5% = $45,630,000

Coach Selly
06-10-2013, 04:01
The salary cap for 2013-14 will remain at $45,630,000

The cap floor for the 2013-14 season will be $26,782,609

Both of these must be adhered to by our teams. If your cap totals fall above $45,630,000 or below $26,782,609 your roster will become illegal and your team will not accumulate any points.

GMs have 48 hours to make their roster compliant to the cap. If the team is not compliant within that 48 hours, the Commissioner will make the necessary changes to your roster to get it legal. This may include forcibly dropping player(s), adding free agents (and therefore dropping players from your roster to make room for them) from the player pool and/or line-up adjustments.

If the commissioner is forced to drop players from your roster to get your team under the cap, the player(s) (salaries) with the highest salary (salaries) will be dropped until your team is below the cap.

If the Commissioner needs to all salary to your roster, player(s) will be added to your roster from the free agent pool until the cap floor has been reached. The player(s) on your team will the lowest salary (salaries) will be dropped to make room for the added players. The player(s) in the free agent pool with the salary (salaries) that most closely fit(s) the needs of your team will be added until your team has reached the cap floor.

Dropped players will go to the Waiver Wire and all teams will have a chance to claim them.

Coach Selly
06-27-2013, 10:21
For clarification:

We use cap hit not actual salaries for our league

Coach Selly
07-28-2013, 03:37
Effective immediately:

If you use the current NHL cap of 64.3M and divide by 20 players that dress every night, it comes to 3,215 per player.

Our cap was 45,630,000 divided by 14, which is 3.259 per player which was just under 2% above the 3.215 per player.
Now we are using 6.5% which gives us the $47,936,000