PDA

View Full Version : Olli Jokinen's Influence

Coach Selly
09-13-2012, 08:00
Can you tell me why the Jets decided to sign soon-to-be 34 year old Olli Jokinen to a 2-year 4.5MM contract. Are they crazy?!

I don't know what led you to that conclusion.

As if I should be surprised you disagree...

Obviously depth at centre was a glaring weakness for this team last year. Jim Slater was the only reliable face-off taker for the Jets since Nik Antropov and Alexander Burmistrov were downright putrid in the dots, both finishing the season with a FO% under 45%. That forced Claude Noel to rely too heavily on the fan favourite GST line in the defensive zone, which -- more often than not -- led to getting scored on. Not that Jokinen is a world-beater at winning face-offs (posting 46% and 47% success rates his past two years), but he's markedly better than the Russian duo of Antropov and Burmistrov. With Jokinen's addition, Noel has the flexibility to shift Burmistrov to a wing position, if he so chooses.

Not to mention that Jokinen was one of the most coveted centre's on this summers UFA market. Such was evidenced by the contract he's being awarded.

All the rest is right here (http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2012/9/12/3285588/olli-jokinen-signing-ufa-mark-scheifele-centre-depth)