PDA

View Full Version : Nyquist, Smith prepare for a different set of challenges

Coach Selly
09-24-2012, 07:04
The Red Wings' two top prospects, Gustav Nyquist and Brendan Smith, had assumed that they'd be spending this weekend in Traverse City, MI before attempting to stake their claims upon significant roles with the Wings this season, but instead of taking steps forward at the NHL level, they're heading to the AHL to reinforce some fundamentals and continue to develop as players as members of the Grand Rapids Griffins. Via RedWingsFeed, Nyquist and Smith spoke to the Grand Rapids Press's Peter J. Wallner regarding their respective changes in focus:

"It's tough," said the 23 year old [Smith]. "I love Grand Rapids, love the fans and love my time there. But on the other side, Detroit - every kid grows up wanting to play for the Red Wings. So, to have that possibility maybe taken away kind of sucks, but I understand."

Smith, the Red Wings top pick in 2007, considers himself fortunate that he has the simple option of either Detroit or Grand Rapids compared to others "who are just skating and waiting." And, if he does end up in Grand Rapids, he sees ways to improve...

Read on (http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-nyquist-smith-prepare-for-a-different-set-of-challenges)