PDA

View Full Version : Changes for the 2014-15 season

Coach Selly
12-09-2013, 05:27
I just want to give our GMs a head's up: There will be some changes coming in the 2014-15 season (next season).

1- The Cap Floor will be enforced. The Cap Floor for this season (2013-14) is $26,782,609. Expect that to be higher in 2014-15.

2 - Beginning with the 2014-15 season, there will be a minimum number of points needed to be scored by a team. The actual number of points is still in the discussion stage and more information will be posted when it has been decided. But, potentially things will work like this:

-- Any team that DOES NOT MEET 50%** of the Median Average of points scored at the end of the season will be eliminated from the Lottery pool and will have, at best, the 6th overall position in the draft. If more than one team does not meet the average, the teams will be slotted down in order of the worst scoring.

**The % WILL be increased over subsequent seasons!!

If we had used this for last season, it would have looked like:
2012-13 pro-rated whole year
24 Saskatoon Sting 1,619.5
25 Tazer's Army 1,451.6
26 Toronto Buds 1,262.4
27 The Landesbeautys 1,133.5
28 Midnight Maniacs 747.2

Only Midnight Maniacs would not have met 50% of the Median Average

Median avg 1,907.9

If we were to carry out our current points for this season (2013-14), 2 teams would not make the average:
2013-14 pro-rated whole year
24 Miro Satan's Army 1,634.7
25 Tazer's Army 1,503.5
26 Toronto Buds 1,027.8
27 Coach Claude's Chicken 847.9
28 Midnight Maniacs 510.4

Median avg 1,986.8

THIS IS TENTATIVELY HOW IT WILL BE SET UP!!! CHANGES MAY/WILL BE MADE TO THIS!!

ONCE AGAIN, THESE CHANGES ARE FOR THE 2014-15 SEASON - THEY WILL NOT APPLY TO OUR NEXT DRAFT

Wanderer
12-16-2013, 20:25
I like the changes. Anything that would prevent teams from throwing in the towel within the first few months of the start of the season is a good thing. Obviously, this will not prevent teams from tanking later on in the season when they realize that they are out of the running, but I don't think there is anything that can be done about that.

The only other way of preventing teams from intentionally throwing in the towel is to have a vote at the end of the year. If the majority of owners believe that an owner or owners have intentionally benched players throughout the year in order to better their standing in the upcoming draft, then those teams would be disqualified from entering the lottery (i.e. they would have the 6th overall pick).

Coach Selly
12-22-2013, 04:41
I like the changes. Anything that would prevent teams from throwing in the towel within the first few months of the start of the season is a good thing. Obviously, this will not prevent teams from tanking later on in the season when they realize that they are out of the running, but I don't think there is anything that can be done about that.

The only other way of preventing teams from intentionally throwing in the towel is to have a vote at the end of the year. If the majority of owners believe that an owner or owners have intentionally benched players throughout the year in order to better their standing in the upcoming draft, then those teams would be disqualified from entering the lottery (i.e. they would have the 6th overall pick).

This is something that is also being considered

GoldenBrett
12-23-2013, 14:19
I would prefer having owners who tank over ones who never log in. Teams tanking if you will, are actually paying attention. These owners have made moves to redo their teams. They pay the money, so it's on them. I do agree to have all the median scoring though for means of draft picking.

The owners in the league that don't log in to fantrax, don't answer emails and don't do anything to their teams is more of a harm.

Craig Simpson
12-23-2013, 15:26
I agree with GoldenBrett. While I don't have a problem with the proposed rule changes as I'll play to whatever the rules are, but tanking is done in real life, too. The salary floor needs to rise to combat some of that, but guys that are paying attention and playing the game are not the ones you want to get rid of, its the guys that don't pay attention you want to weed out.

Chara's Coke
12-24-2013, 09:40
I like the idea of a 'minimum' point total to combat what myself and others have done to tank. It would still allow moderate tanking (especially from the midpoint of the season but combat the more frustrating "Bench all your regulars" type. Still, I would like to incorporate MM's idea to have a post-season vote after a team meets the above criteria... and only among the top-15 teams who have no vested interest in the outcome. That way, a team can make a case that injuries cost them their season rather than drop-of-the-hat tanking... and it prevents abuses of the resulting system, IMO.

I'm wholeheartedly against a complete ban on 'tanking' because trading away talent and replenishing is part of the cycle. Obviously we don't want it as bad as it's been in seasons 1 & 2, but it should still exist as a means for lower-end teams to reinvigorate their rosters. Tanking promotes trades (and lots of activity in-general) and we want to keep activity high. The four most-active GM's over the past two seasons (by login totals) have all tanked in one or both seasons.

While we need to prevent tanking, we absolutely need to prevent the 'absentee GM' playstyle. IMO - if a GM does not log in more than half the median log-in total (~155 logins, IMO) they should forfeit their 1st (pending a vote of the league) and be subject to removal as GM. Active GM's make this league great and keep the players flowing. Passive, inactive GMs should have to make their case as to why they're so passive and inactive... I don't know if there's a better way to judge players activity (as logins are a crude means) but this is a pressing matter - even more so than "tankgate" in my opinion.

Coach Selly
01-06-2014, 05:45
I would prefer having owners who tank over ones who never log in. Teams tanking if you will, are actually paying attention. These owners have made moves to redo their teams. They pay the money, so it's on them. I do agree to have all the median scoring though for means of draft picking.

The owners in the league that don't log in to fantrax, don't answer emails and don't do anything to their teams is more of a harm.

We can also consider adding something that requires owners to log in to Fantrax a certain amount of times per week unless they have contacted a Commish in advance to say they won't be around that week or something...

Craig Simpson
01-06-2014, 06:31
We can also consider adding something that requires owners to log in to Fantrax a certain amount of times per week unless they have contacted a Commish in advance to say they won't be around that week or something...

Really, REALLY think about the logistics of that before you jump in. First, how much more work is it going to be trying to figure out who hasn't logged in this number of times this week? Does anyone have that time for an entire season, year after year? Second, I'm a fairly busy individual and I suspect we have many more (including the Commish) who are as well. When I get an opportunity to take a vacation, or get bogged down at work and don't have the time to log in, I'm not thinking about emailing the Commish of a hockey pool to tell them I'm too busy to log in that week. Its just going to happen. If we are really going down that road about a certain number of logins, I might have to bow out. This is an enjoyable leisure activity that I follow fairly closely, but if I risk getting kicked out of it because my life is busy for a few weeks during hockey season, I'll save you all the trouble and leave. When my leisure activities become a job, I'm done.

While you do want people that are engaged, this might be far more trouble than its worth and not entirely practical, resulting in losing owners that simply have busy lives but are normally quite engaged.

Coach Selly
01-06-2014, 06:58
Actually figuring out when the last time a GM logged in is very easy. On the Team Owners list on Fantrax, it lists the date of the last log-in.

I do think there should be a minimum number of log-ins per month. At least check your team twice per month or something like that.

MadShark8280
01-07-2014, 18:12
Actually figuring out when the last time a GM logged in is very easy. On the Team Owners list on Fantrax, it lists the date of the last log-in.

I do think there should be a minimum number of log-ins per month. At least check your team twice per month or something like that.

I think keeping your roster legal should be a requirement. Its up to the undividual how often he wishes to log on. Illegal rosters should atleast be penalized towards the draft lottery. Give that team the average of points scored during the week credited to them at the end of season. What better way to tank then an illegal roster lol

Craig Simpson
01-10-2014, 10:52

It is easy to figure out when they last logged in, but if as has been suggested, you need to login 20 times per month, that is not easy to figure out. You have to go in daily and tick off who was there that day or record the last date for each person every day. Twice a month is easier, but you still have to be on top of it, because if someone logs in on the 14th and again on the 16th and whoever tracks this doesn't notice it and only sees at the end that when they checked on the 12th they hadn't logged in and when they checked on the 17th they last logged in the 16th and then not again for the rest of the month, it just makes a big mess and headache to manage. Easiest to say once per month or once per two week period or once per week or something that can be done every Friday or every 15th and last day of month or just the last day of the month.

Coach Selly
04-03-2014, 04:52
There will also be more changes made including adding another person with Commissioner "powers" so that trades and the like are processed more quickly.

Changes to the rules for minors eligibility (more games played allowed)

Daily roster moves may be allowed.

The Gordie Howe hat-trick will be removed and points shots will go from 0.1 to 0.2

Stricter rules regarding inactive owners.

hamhocks
04-03-2014, 10:24
There will also be more changes made including adding another person with Commissioner "powers" so that trades and the like are processed more quickly.

The Gordie Howe hat-trick will be removed and points shots will go from 0.1 to 0.2

Clearly items 1 and 4 are welcome, in fact, i would be shocked if it not unanimous among all owners.
But where in world did 2 and 3 come from? And why would those be changed?

GHHT I don't care one way or the other, eliminate it or reduce down to the same as a Hat Trick, we have spent to much time on an event that happens 10x a year.

As for as the SOG, what prompted this? did the .1 seem off base? I guess i don't care one way or the other, but it just came out of no where considering there are other scorings that I would feel should be reviewed first.

As far as the daily roster moves, we can't get 1/2 of 28 owners to pay attention on a weekly basis, much less daily. I get the drawback of the weekly rosters. In fact, if you will remember last year, i lost my starting goalie 5 weeks in a row to benching/injuries and in many cases took zeros so i have seen both sides of this. I don't like daily lineups, it changes our whole league and it will prompt review of roster size/configuration; It will change the values of the positions in an instant. This is a pretty significant move, and myself am not in favor of this at all.

Chara's Coke
04-03-2014, 17:16
Clearly items 1 and 4 are welcome, in fact, i would be shocked if it not unanimous among all owners.
But where in world did 2 and 3 come from? And why would those be changed?

GHHT I don't care one way or the other, eliminate it or reduce down to the same as a Hat Trick, we have spent to much time on an event that happens 10x a year.

As for as the SOG, what prompted this? did the .1 seem off base? I guess i don't care one way or the other, but it just came out of no where considering there are other scorings that I would feel should be reviewed first.

As far as the daily roster moves, we can't get 1/2 of 28 owners to pay attention on a weekly basis, much less daily. I get the drawback of the weekly rosters. In fact, if you will remember last year, i lost my starting goalie 5 weeks in a row to benching/injuries and in many cases took zeros so i have seen both sides of this. I don't like daily lineups, it changes our whole league and it will prompt review of roster size/configuration; It will change the values of the positions in an instant. This is a pretty significant move, and myself am not in favor of this at all.

The two scoring changes were debated during our town hall meeting several nights ago in Fantrax Chat.... pretty sure (if you're interested) you can go back and see both topics introduced and debated in the old Chat History. I personally like both changes because it takes out the massive variance of GHHT (which is a random occurrence on the best of days) yet still props-up skater value (relative to 'tenders) by upping SOG's. SOG's are very (very) important, and the change may help us Fancy-Stats lovers pick guys who are actually good... and not, ya know, pick up the Douglas Murrays of the world.

"Daily moves" is concerning ... but interesting.

On the one hand, as H&O intimated, we have too few 'active' owners as it is, I have three points that need to be discussed.

1.) This type of change could either bring a ton of guys back into the fold... or push those folks away. Until we hear from more of them, we don't know which it will be... but there could be some movement in-season as well (where we either gain or lose league activity during our '14/'15 campaign because of the fun [or negatively, the necessity] of making daily moves).

2.) One of the biggest issues I see with daily moves is the current system itself. I know we have stated that we might utilize fantrax for moves ... at least in the interim.... but daily moves almost necessitate Fantrax-centric transactions. Why? Because, while Selly's retroactive-move-making works in a week to week basis, the dozens of daily moves with the adjusted arrangement would make this problematic to say the least and untenable at worst. I know the league's new vice-commissioners would help - but any missed transactions would be exceedingly problematic (and the problem would compound with every day missed).

3.) As H&O also indicated, player valuations would be significantly changed. A deeper roster would be advisable - and the one-elite-goaltender system would go in the trash and 'dynamic duos' (maybe even trios) would be the name of the game. When we have teams with multiple elite tenders... and some with one... and some with none... we might be dramatically altering the balance of power in the League.

As it stands, I'm not a fan of this proposed change right now because we don't have definitive answers for my concerns in #1 and #2 .... and #3 stands to shift power significantly with an 'off-ice' decision.

Wanderer
04-03-2014, 18:42

Aside from the daily roster moves, I would be happy with seeing those changes implemented. I would keep the roster mods/moves done on a weekly basis.

I would also like to see possibly increasing the prospect eligibility for goalies increased to 26 y.o.

Coach Selly
04-16-2014, 09:05
Also included in this, I will be making some changes to my personal schedule, as well as to my internet provider and to my computer to (hopefully) eliminate the issues I have had with absences during this season