At the beginning of this season we made 10 predictions for the upcoming NHL season. Lets check in on the progress of our predictions (our prediction is in bold).
10. James Neal and Loui Eriksson both score 40+ goals and 80+ points. Neal has scored 16 goals and 32 points and on pace for 29 goals and 58 points. Eriksson has also scored 16 goals this season to go along with 47 points that puts him on pace for 29 goals and 86 points.
9. Zenon Konopka would lead league in PIMs and score ten goals. Konopka has 143 PIMs (16 more than second place Sean Avery) which puts him on pace for 286 PIMs and PIM leader again. However Konopka has only scored one goal in 41 games this season, which means he needs to score nine goals in the second half reach our prediction.
8. Alexander Ovechkin would score 60+ goals. Ovechkin has scored only 15 goals in 44 games this season, which puts him on pace for only 27 goals.
7. Vancouver Canucks wins the President Trophy and Washington Capitals win the Stanley Cup. 42 games into the season and the Canucks sit first overall in the NHL with a three-point lead. The Capitals are focused a lot more on defense this season then scoring goals setting themselves up for a long playoff run.
6. Career years for Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf. Bobby Ryan is on pace for a career high 37 goals and 61 points (just three points off his career high). Corey Perry is on pace for career high 39 goals and career high 83 points. Ryan Getzlaf is on pace for 24 goals (career high 25) and 69 points.
5. Mike Green, Shea Weber, Drew Doughty & Anton Babchuk all score 20+ goals. We predicted that all 4 of these defensemen will score 20 or more goals this season. Mike Green is on pace for 16 goals, Shea Weber is on pace for 13 goals, Drew Doughty is on pace for just four goals and Anton Babchuk is on pace for 11 goals.
4. 20 players score 40+ goals this season. We predicted that the following players would hit 40 goals: Jarome Iginla (on pace for 34), Eric Staal (41), Daniel Sedin (48), Anze Kopitar (29), John Tavares (31), Nicklas Backstrom (20), Loui Eriksson (29), James Neal (29) and Phil Kessel (37). Currently ten players are on pace for 39+ goals this season.
3. Roberto Luongo would finish first overall in wins and shutouts. Luongo is sitting third overall with 20 wins and is on pace for 38 wins. Luongo has just two shutouts this season but there have been several games this season where he has lost the shutout in the final five minutes of the game so he could go on a run and wrack up a bunch of shutouts to finish the season.
2. P.K. Subban scores 45 points and wins the Calder. Subban has struggled this season and has be a healthy scratch several times this season. Subban is on pace for just 26 points. Jeff Skinner is currently leading all rookies with 33 points and Logan Couture is the leading rookie goal scorer with 19 goals.
1. 8 players score 100+ points. We predicted that the following players would score 100 points: Henrik Sedin (on pace for 106), Alexander Ovechkin (82), Sidney Crosby (124), Nicklas Backstrom (72), Daniel Sedin (106), Ryan Getzlaf (69), Steven Stamkos (105) and Evgeni Malkin (66).