Weekend Wrap-Up for January 19th and 20th
by, 01-21-2013 at 10:09 (1812 Views)
In case you haven't heard the NHL is officially underway with a flurry of meaningful games for the next 14 weeks and 1 day (99 days). Over the weekend a few intriguing match ups took place including the Rangers going to Boston and playing the Bruins, this was after an afternoon tilt between the Penguins and Flyers in Philadelphia on the opening day that ended with a Ducks 7-3 win over Vancouver who is surprisingly 0-2 to start that season.
I took away a lot from the opening weekend but I will give you the most important ones:
- Big teams are off to 0-2 starts including both the Rangers, Canucks (though one was in a shootout), and Flyers.
- Henrik Lundqvist has a Goals Against Average of over 5. Lundqvist is far from the only goalie who has struggled, but he is most notable to this point.
- St Louis made Detroit look real bad, the main concern for me is will they bounce back? They looked horrible in a 6-0 rout on Saturday night against the Blues.
- Speaking of the Blues, they look primed for another good season if the opener is any indication. Vladimir Tarasenko looked amazing in his first game in the NHL. The Blues I feel have a legitimate shot of winning the Central division again.
- Pittsburgh is off to a hot start, winning both of their games against the Flyers on Saturday and the Rangers on Sunday. Along with Pittsburgh Chicago is also perfect at 2-0.
- Montreal is 0-1 but the most concerning part for them has to be the absence of PK Subban who is holding out for a new contract. The Canadiens lost to Toronto on Saturday night 2-1.
That is a list of the notable stories from the NHL in my eyes from this past weekend. What was yours? Sound off in the comments.