Official Football Thread (NFL & NCAA) - Page 5

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Football Thread (NFL & NCAA)

Quote Originally Posted by Krinkle View Post
    OH and GIC, I just saw your rant at me about Eli being MVP or something in HF...what was that in response to, something specific or just me being a Giant hating **** as I usually am?
    Hell if I remember.

But I do think he's the most valuable player in the league this year, other than Peyton. Of course guys like Apice take it literally (I could take the Packers backup QB and he could make the Saints respectable, the Giants would be hopeless with a mediocre QB, let alone a bad one)...... so I kinda lost interest pretty fast.

Bradshaw fumbled. I don't care what anyone says. I love the way Bradshaw plays but the way he fights for every yard, he shouldn't have gotten that whistle. He was still fighting.

Yeah, the MVP should go to Peyton Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
    Hell if I remember.

But I do think he's the most valuable player in the league this year, other than Peyton. Of course guys like Apice take it literally (I could take the Packers backup QB and he could make the Saints respectable, the Giants would be hopeless with a mediocre QB, let alone a bad one)...... so I kinda lost interest pretty fast.
    MVP is a rough one on Eli this year. I think people misuse the term MVP.

As others have pointed out, and myself - Peyton is clearly the most valuable asset as a player to his team.

The case for Eli......Has he played well all season?

Yes

Is this his most consistent season yet?

Yes

Can they win without him?

Probably

Are they are where they are because of him?

No.

They were a mess this year with injuries, the lack of a run game, and an inconsistent defense. Not shocking that once the running game got it together, and the defense got healthy and the Oline has been giving him eons on the pocket, they are where they are.

The Giants are a complete package right now, just like they were when they last beat NE in the SB, no single player made that happen. Well maybe the guy who stuck an assload of stickytac to Tyrees helmet, but other than that it was only happened when pieces were put together in the right places.

My money on the MVP?

Tebow

Remember it's media and coaches who vote on this **** right? Tebow this Tebow that, non stop this year.

Brees is a candidate as well but he's got a lot of talent to work with, just like Rodgers.

Arian Foster is a solid candidate, and Gronkowski - who I think is the best receiver in the game - are also in the mix.

MVP is a rough one on Eli this year. I think people misuse the term MVP.

As others have pointed out, and myself - Peyton is clearly the most valuable asset as a player to his team.

The case for Eli......Has he played well all season?

Yes

Is this his most consistent season yet?

Yes

Can they win without him?

Probably

Are they are where they are because of him?

No.

They were a mess this year with injuries, the lack of a run game, and an inconsistent defense. Not shocking that once the running game got it together, and the defense got healthy and the Oline has been giving him eons on the pocket, they are where they are.

The Giants are a complete package right now, just like they were when they last beat NE in the SB, no single player made that happen. Well maybe the guy who stuck an assload of stickytac to Tyrees helmet, but other than that it was only happened when pieces were put together in the right places.

My money on the MVP?

Tebow

Remember it's media and coaches who vote on this **** right? Tebow this Tebow that, non stop this year.

Brees is a candidate as well but he's got a lot of talent to work with, just like Rodgers.

Arian Foster is a solid candidate, and Gronkowski - who I think is the best receiver in the game - are also in the mix.
    The part you're missing is that you have to be in position to get there. And at one point this was a 6-2 team no thanks to basically anyone other than him and his receivers. Without that, they win 4 or 5 games, tops. Whether or not everything else kicks in (and no way in hell has he gotten great protection the last two weeks, he got killed this week and the Packers were laying him out (illegally) the week before.), if you're not in position to make something out of it, it means nothing. You know, like the Devils last season.

The part you're missing is that you have to be in position to get there. And at one point this was a 6-2 team no thanks to basically anyone other than him and his receivers. Without that, they win 4 or 5 games, tops. Whether or not everything else kicks in (and no way in hell has he gotten great protection the last two weeks, he got killed this week and the Packers were laying him out (illegally) the week before.), if you're not in position to make something out of it, it means nothing. You know, like the Devils last season.
    They were 6 and 2 against some **** teams though.

And they lost that game in Seattle on a pick 6 he threw at the end of the game.

Then they went on a really bad skid and backed into the playoffs because of a FG block by JPP.

You don't get MVP for holding the fort down until your defense finally shows up to take you home, there was a clear turning point in that team's season and it had little to do with Manning - it's nothing against him, but that kind of player on that kind of team is not, in my mind, MVP material. Offensive player of the year? Sure. MVP? Nope.

Out of the first six games they won, they only win 1 of them without Eli, the other 5 were all 4th quarter comebacks, a couple of which were multiple scores. Without the comebacks, they are 1-7 and nothing that happens afterwards matters. You're taking it literally like Apice. lol.

Out of the first six games they won, they only win 1 of them without Eli, the other 5 were all 4th quarter comebacks, a couple of which were multiple scores. Without the comebacks, they are 1-7 and nothing that happens afterwards matters. You're taking it literally like Apice. lol.
    One was Philly - I could've led that team against the Eagles in a 4th quarter come back

That Miami game was ATROCIOUS

The Buffalo game I'll give you because that was during the 15 minutes the Bills actually pretended to be a team this year, but that wasn't a comeback - Buffalo tied it in the 4th and the Giants got a FG to win it.

The NE game was a shootout in the 4th, so I'll give you that - they had the ball last and he got it done.

I wouldn't tout comebacks over **** teams like Miami, Arizona, St. Louis and Philly as reasons for being named MVP - an MVP shouldn't need to come back against those teams

I wouldn't tout comebacks over **** teams like Miami, Arizona, St. Louis and Philly as reasons for being named MVP - an MVP shouldn't need to come back against those teams
    No offense, but that seems like a BS argument to me. You can play like a freakin Joe Montana if your opponent`s defense has a good day and your recievers don`t.

Quote Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
    No offense, but that seems like a BS argument to me. You can play like a freakin Joe Montana if your opponent`s defense has a good day and your recievers don`t.
    And the flip side of that coin:

You can play like **** and your WR's can make you look amazing. How many plays have you seen where it's just a little WR screen or a slant and next thing you know it's 90 yards for the TD?

My argument here is simple:

If you're going to be the MVP, you don't go 9-7 on the year b/c your defense gets all jacked up and you can't score points to help them out. There are teams with way worse defenses who had their QB's take on that load and march onto 13 or 15 win seasons.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast