GDT: Washington Capitals @ New Jersey Devils - 12/23/11 7pm ET MSG+ - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 78 of 78

Thread: GDT: Washington Capitals @ New Jersey Devils - 12/23/11 7pm ET MSG+

                  
   
   
   
  1. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
    I've joked many of times that hopefully they get the third period collapse out of the way early in the period so they have time to get back.

    It is a case of that they are bad positionally defensively and in the third with a lead the offensive zone play naturally gets more conservative (and the other team more aggressive). Once the other team ties it, they don't tend to get worse. And given their OT record it isn't a case of being tired or the doors would get blown off during the 4-on-4.
    Yeah the tired argument is BS in this case. Although, I respect and even agree (in some cases, Larsson) the opinion of people who think that some of our players are playing too much. But I just think that it's a case, like you said of the Devils getting out of their element and going into a more passive play and the other team being a little more desperate.

  2. #72
    that and clarkson has been a revelation.

  3. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
    Yeah the tired argument is BS in this case. Although, I respect and even agree (in some cases, Larsson) the opinion of people who think that some of our players are playing too much. But I just think that it's a case, like you said of the Devils getting out of their element and going into a more passive play and the other team being a little more desperate.
    I don't think they're playing too many minutes. But I do think the defensemen aren't good enough to be playing the kind of high-intensity minutes DeBoer's style demands. When the other team turns up the heat to try to get the goals back, they don't have the engines needed to match and they fall behind. Then, once they're pinned in our end, they fold under the pressure.

    Just one top defenseman would be such a godsend.

  4. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
    I don't think they're playing too many minutes. But I do think the defensemen aren't good enough to be playing the kind of high-intensity minutes DeBoer's style demands. When the other team turns up the heat to try to get the goals back, they don't have the engines needed to match and they fall behind. Then, once they're pinned in our end, they fold under the pressure.

    Just one top defenseman would be such a godsend.
    So what do you want to give up for Suter?

  5. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
    I don't think they're playing too many minutes. But I do think the defensemen aren't good enough to be playing the kind of high-intensity minutes DeBoer's style demands. When the other team turns up the heat to try to get the goals back, they don't have the engines needed to match and they fall behind. Then, once they're pinned in our end, they fold under the pressure.

    Just one top defenseman would be such a godsend.
    Yeah, that's definitely a huge source of the problem. The D just isn't good enough to withstand such pressure. That's why they gotta stay aggressive no matter the score.

  6. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely a huge source of the problem. The D just isn't good enough to withstand such pressure. That's why they gotta stay aggressive no matter the score.
    The probably is when you are up you are going to naturally play a bit to "protect the lead." That means backing off some instances in the offensive zone to make sure numbers are back defensively. It is human nature to play that way late added to the fact they have all been trained to play like that, especially the guys who have been here.

    The coaching staff might have to put money on the board for scoring the 4th or 5th goal for them. Though I don't think that is allowed under the CBA.

  7. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
    The probably is when you are up you are going to naturally play a bit to "protect the lead." That means backing off some instances in the offensive zone to make sure numbers are back defensively. It is human nature to play that way late added to the fact they have all been trained to play like that, especially the guys who have been here.

    The coaching staff might have to put money on the board for scoring the 4th or 5th goal for them. Though I don't think that is allowed under the CBA.
    I totally understand that sentiment and don't doubt that's played a part in it. But don't you think after it's happened like 4, 5 times already that they'd slightly alter the way they play?

  8. #78

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Similar Threads

  1. GDT: New Jersey Devils @ New York Rangers - 2/7/12 7pm ET MSG+2
    By onefatsurfer in forum New Jersey Devils
    Replies: 430
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 13:30
  2. Replies: 148
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 10:18
  3. Replies: 271
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 06:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •