Martin Brodeur's replacement plan?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Brodeur's replacement plan?

Hybrid View

Co-Creator & Webmaster Aaron Brouwer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Martin Brodeur's replacement plan?

So I figured this was the best place to generate this discussion. What is the Devils plan for replacing Brodeur once he retires? How are do the goalie prospect look? Will it be from within, trade or sign?

It depends if he retires after this season or signs for another year. If he retires this season they will need to sign a stopgap goaltender. It could be Moose, but it may have to be a different UFA goalie since Moose may retire after this season too. There are three goalie prospects that have a shot; Kinkaid, Wedgewood, and Clermont. Kinkaid has played well so far in the AHL this season and may be ready for the backup job in NJ. Wedgewood is impressing at the WJC and has played really well in Plymouth. Clermont played well last year in juniors but hasn't done too much this year, but also hasn't really been given too much of a shot this year. I think there is an eventual replacement in Kinkaid or Wedgewood, but it will remain to be seen when it will happen.
    aka Tedenby21

Yeah, I think one or both of Kinkaid or Wedgewood will eventually get their chance at some point. Interesting to see what they will do for the veteran spot if Marty retires. Do they re-sign Moose or go after someone younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
    Yeah, I think one or both of Kinkaid or Wedgewood will eventually get their chance at some point. Interesting to see what they will do for the veteran spot if Marty retires. Do they re-sign Moose or go after someone younger.
    I think this will depend on how confident the organization is in Kinkaid. If the organization thinks Kinkaid can hold down 50% of the starts, I think they might keep the Moose as a mentor and teammate. If they think Kinkaid needs more time, then I'd expect them to bring in another goaltender. They might keep Moose anyway, in that scenario.

granted ive only ever watched kinkaid play once, i did notice that he has some awesome lateral movement

Pielmeier is now backing up Kinkaid in the AHL while Clermont continues to be the number two in the ECHL in Kalamazoo.

Not sure if Pielmeier will return to Elmira (Anaheim/Ottawa/Syracuse affiliate) after Frazee returns or if they will try to move him to Trenton as a back-up.

Not saying Pielmeier is above Clermont on the organization's depth chart, just saying Pielmeier doesn't have any place on a NJ affiliated team when Frazee returns, unless Trenton bumps their back-up.

I think Wedgewood or Kinkaid could eventually be the starter. In the mean time, they could sign stop gaps. One thing is for sure, I really don't want to trade any valuable assets for a young goalie like Schneider or Bernier; and I don't want to give a huge contract to a free agent like Bryzgalov. If nothing else, go the Nashville route and draft giant Finnish goalies.
    "Because ten billion years time is so fragile, so ephemeral; it arouses a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness"

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
    I think Wedgewood or Kinkaid could eventually be the starter. In the mean time, they could sign stop gaps. One thing is for sure, I really don't want to trade any valuable assets for a young goalie like Schneider or Bernier; and I don't want to give a huge contract to a free agent like Bryzgalov. If nothing else, go the Nashville route and draft giant Finnish goalies.
    I agree. I like to see the devils have 20 or so million in their defense in the next couple of years and < 2m spent on a tender.

The oldest tandem in history
    Kinkaid/Brodeur
    Kinkaid/Moose
    UFA+Moose
    UFA+Kinkaid
    Premium for Schneider (no thanks)
    Frazee (just kidding)

...in that order.

Profit???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast