Jonathan Merrill - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jonathan Merrill

I think Merrill should at least finish one more year of school. I would personally like to see him finish college and then turn pro. There is already a logjam at defense and adding Merrill would really intensify things.
    aka Tedenby21

I would understand either way if Merrill bolts or stays in school one year. If he stays next year, he probably wants a full year with the program. If he bolts he probably feels that he wants this stuff behind him and is good enough to turn pro.

I support him either way.
    I came in peace.

I remember Trottier's moralist **** on this, it was suffocating. Boys will be boys, and they will grow up. It will be awesome to see him in NJ.

Yep, he would've been hung now if if was up to him. God forbid the kid lives the college life.

Sure, he probably lived it up too far out of bounds of Berenson's program, but you live an you learn.
    I came in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
    Yep, he would've been hung now if if was up to him. God forbid the kid lives the college life.

Sure, he probably lived it up too far out of bounds of Berenson's program, but you live an you learn.
    This is key - Merrill lived, and he learned, and everything suggests that he did grow up.

I think he spends another year in the NCAA, but I'm actually not convinced that would be best for him. It might be better to get him into the AHL and have him spend lots of time with a Tommy Albelin and work with Scott Stevens.

I'm just very excited for our defense of the future.

If Urbom, Merrill, and Gelinas pan out we will be in really good shape.

Urbom-Larsson
    Volchenkov-Merrill
    Gelinas-Fayne

Ignore the pairings, but that could be a sick defense. 3 right hand shots
    aka Tedenby21

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
    This is key - Merrill lived, and he learned, and everything suggests that he did grow up.

I think he spends another year in the NCAA, but I'm actually not convinced that would be best for him. It might be better to get him into the AHL and have him spend lots of time with a Tommy Albelin and work with Scott Stevens.
    Him staying in the program instead of bolting to the OHL showed a lot of character. We've seen other top prospects like Charlie Coyle bolt at the first sign of adversity in college. Good for him on that part.

And I agree 100%. I think being with pros and working with former NHLers in our system is what the kid needs at this point. From what I've seen the skill is definitely there. He could have turned pro last year, skill wise. Having him work with Stevens and company would drastically help him lock down the mental aspect of life.
    Follow my twitters and I'll follow your twitters and we can twitters together all the time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12