GDT Pittsburgh @ New Jersey, 13.00 Saturday March 17 - Page 9

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: GDT Pittsburgh @ New Jersey, 13.00 Saturday March 17

Yeah, going into the season I thought the playoffs would have been a nice accomplishment, but the roster has gotten a lot better (Henrique, Zid, Poni, better 4th line, an improved Kovalchuk) and some teams that we thought would be a lot better in the East (Washington, Tampa, Buffalo) haven't lived up to expectations.

Now I really do think the team can win a round, maybe two - if they get the right matchups and are playing well going in.

But I just don't understand where the outrage is over each and every loss over there. They are pretty much in and aren't going to go higher than 5 and lower than 7. So other than officially solidifying their spot and playing well going in, there's not much to play for.
    I came in peace.

That's what I don't like - they look like they have nothing to play for and know it - complacency will kill you this time of year. It's not like in 3 weeks they can just flip a switch to "play for something" mode. They look like they're trying in the offensive zone - too goddamned hard, they're getting cute always looking for the perfect play or just gliding with the puck. It's not good.

They better snap out of this **** on Monday.

If Rangers, after all this season-of-a-lifetime, gets 4th and Philly in first round, and we get Florida I will laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Krinkle View Post
    That's what I don't like - they look like they have nothing to play for and know it - complacency will kill you this time of year. It's not like in 3 weeks they can just flip a switch to "play for something" mode. They look like they're trying in the offensive zone - too goddamned hard, they're getting cute always looking for the perfect play or just gliding with the puck. It's not good.

They better snap out of this **** on Monday.
    The motivation cuts both ways. Flyers played like rancid *** against us here, and we returned the favor. It's just THAT time of year. Look at the Rangers, they're stuck in a huge *** lull, Boston too. Boston is not that bad, no way. It's not so much turning a switch as it is sometimes the other team just wants it more, and like I said, this time of the year it's going to vary night by night.

They are not killers where they can just show up and win any given game, just because.

Quote Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
    If Rangers, after all this season-of-a-lifetime, gets 4th and Philly in first round, and we get Florida I will laugh.
    I won't , b/c we'll both be on the golf course in round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
    The motivation cuts both ways. Flyers played like rancid *** against us here, and we returned the favor. It's just THAT time of year. Look at the Rangers, they're stuck in a huge *** lull, Boston too. Boston is not that bad, no way. It's not so much turning a switch as it is sometimes the other team just wants it more, and like I said, this time of the year it's going to vary night by night.

They are not killers where they can just show up and win any given game, just because.
    No they are not, but there is some bi-polar behavior going on that shows me we are not going very far in the playoffs

Since the ASG what are we? 8-1-1, then 0-4, then a 4-0 and now in the midst of a 1-4 where we didn't score a real goal in that 1.

Not cool.

I also think offensively we thrive on chaos, and this time of year the chaos just isn't going to be there as much. You look at the Kovy goal against the Flyers, that's patented Devils hockey, 4 on 4 with everyone running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

We do it so often that we understand it. They didn't and fell apart and gave Kovy that chance.

In a sense we're lucky the goaltending level has gone through the roof because our offense is just fits and starts right now, teams are trying to make the playoffs and they're not going to engage you in a clusterfuck just because that's your style.

Quote Originally Posted by Krinkle View Post
    No they are not, but there is some bi-polar behavior going on that shows me we are not going very far in the playoffs

Since the ASG what are we? 8-1-1, then 0-4, then a 4-0 and now in the midst of a 1-4 where we didn't score a real goal in that 1.

Not cool.
    No, they've won 5 out of their last 7, 6 out of their last 9 and are 6-3-1 in the March that was supposedly going to bury and doom them. :P

Yeah there's ways to spin it and break it down either way , but c'mon, those 2 regulation games without a goal followed by this **** show on ice? That gets you knocked out in April.

Boston slept through their last game against us last season, and went on to win the cup. I don't see a huge problem in them not being 100% motivated every game. Hell, I even want DeBoer to spare some of our top forwards on the PK if the game clearly is lost or won. Let's not get the bodies beaten up unnecessarily. They got some rest during the All Star, and look what that did.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast