The Engineering (and other homework) Thread - Help me study!!

Page 1 of 24 123 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Engineering (and other homework) Thread - Help me study!!

The Engineering (and other homework) Thread - Help me study!!

I have the next week of my life mapped out for my FE exam review. I have to stick to a strict schedule every day in order to get everything I want done. I have it estimated at about 47 hours of studying, which includes 8 hours for a practice exam. Selyar, I have no clue how you finished both sections early. There is only 2 min per question for the morning and 4 min per question for the afternoon. Did you end up guessing on the difficult ones?
    aka Tedenby21

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
    I have the next week of my life mapped out for my FE exam review. I have to stick to a strict schedule every day in order to get everything I want done. I have it estimated at about 47 hours of studying, which includes 8 hours for a practice exam. Selyar, I have no clue how you finished both sections early. There is only 2 min per question for the morning and 4 min per question for the afternoon. Did you end up guessing on the difficult ones?
    wow. that's alot of studying.

i've always been a fast test taker. in the morning there are going to be some questions you just know. or that only take you like 30 seconds to punch into your calculator. you make up time on those, so you can think about the harder ones. i worked through everything i knew how to do, then went back to the ones i skipped and tried to come up with answers to those. there were probably like 3 i flat out guessed on because i didn't know them. i remember one about vulcanized rubber that all my friends talked about after the test...everyone was like wtf??

so yeah. thats how i finished early. i blew through the easy ****, finished everything else. then checked it. you have plenty of time. some of the problems are like, "in this spreadsheet, what is in cell A1" come on now. don't tell me it will take you two minutes to do that.

I'm going to start studying for the PE exam today. My goal is to do 2 hours of studying a day and a practice exam this saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
    I'm going to start studying for the PE exam today. My goal is to do 2 hours of studying a day and a practice exam this saturday.
    shut up, you're not going to do a full practice exam and you know it.

ok, i guess i'll just find how to do each question in the reference manual instead of running through the questions

took the words right out of my mouth.

maybe if your family wasn't celebrating easter on saturday you'd have a chance.

but with the egg hunt and dinner at uncle toms, there's not a chance in the world you're going to have time to anything on saturday.

ok, revised study plan:
    Study traffic BS crap (horizontal/vertical curves, superelevation, capacity questions) - 1-2 full study periods
    Find my way around the reference manual by flipping through the practice questions and finding where to find the solutions in the ref manual -weekend study periods + during the course of other studying
    Study soil mechanics - 1 full study period
    Refresh myself a bit in structural equations - 1 study period
    Refresh myself a bit in hydraulics equations - while working on learning my way around the reference manual

take the test, pass it with 1 1/2 weeks of studying (aka, like a boss)
    be done with stupid 8 hour exams
    Last edited by onefatsurfer; 04-04-2012 at 06:24.

Quote Originally Posted by selyar View Post
    wow. that's alot of studying.

i've always been a fast test taker. in the morning there are going to be some questions you just know. or that only take you like 30 seconds to punch into your calculator. you make up time on those, so you can think about the harder ones. i worked through everything i knew how to do, then went back to the ones i skipped and tried to come up with answers to those. there were probably like 3 i flat out guessed on because i didn't know them. i remember one about vulcanized rubber that all my friends talked about after the test...everyone was like wtf??

so yeah. thats how i finished early. i blew through the easy ****, finished everything else. then checked it. you have plenty of time. some of the problems are like, "in this spreadsheet, what is in cell A1" come on now. don't tell me it will take you two minutes to do that.
    well you already know i get super crazy about school stuff i would say the studying sounds way worse than it really is. i'm planning on just staying in all weekend and getting 10-12 hours of review done a day on friday-sunday. include the 8 hours of the practice exam and you almost have the full amount of review.

that's my test taking strategy too. i'm really counting on the exam notebook that they give you. from the review it feels like if you know where things are it is pretty much crunching numbers. i'm a little worried about having to use a different calculator, and you scared me about taking the mechanical exam and not the general.
    ok, revised study plan:
    Study traffic BS crap (horizontal/vertical curves, superelevation, capacity questions) - 1-2 full study periods
    Find my way around the reference manual by flipping through the practice questions and finding where to find the solutions in the ref manual -weekend study periods + during the course of other studying
    Study soil mechanics - 1 full study period
    Refresh myself a bit in structural equations - 1 study period
    Refresh myself a bit in hydraulics equations - while working on learning my way around the reference manual

take the test, pass it with 1 1/2 weeks of studying (aka, like a boss)
    be done with stupid 8 hour exams
    you may be severely underestimating the PE. if i just started reviewing for the FE i would be in full on panic mode right now. i even wish i was spending more time reviewing when i started so that i wouldn't have to do so much in this last 9 day crunch.
    aka Tedenby21

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
    well you already know i get super crazy about school stuff i would say the studying sounds way worse than it really is. i'm planning on just staying in all weekend and getting 10-12 hours of review done a day on friday-sunday. include the 8 hours of the practice exam and you almost have the full amount of review.

that's my test taking strategy too. i'm really counting on the exam notebook that they give you. from the review it feels like if you know where things are it is pretty much crunching numbers. i'm a little worried about having to use a different calculator, and you scared me about taking the mechanical exam and not the general.

you may be severely underestimating the PE. if i just started reviewing for the FE i would be in full on panic mode right now. i even wish i was spending more time reviewing when i started so that i wouldn't have to do so much in this last 9 day crunch.

i mean, maybe i just picked up stuff through osmosis in the review class i was required to take. i honestly did half a practice exam the day before my test and sat through a review class drunk 1/2 the time and passed.

the equation book is key. have you been using the test approved calculator to study with? we all ditched our ti-89s for like a week and only used the stupid calculators to get familiar with them.

i stand by taking the general test, but if you've looked at all of the topics for the mechanical test, you'll be fine.

he probably is under estimating the PE, but knowing him, he's going to pass anyway. he's one of those naturally smart people who never had to do homework or study for anything. that being said, i'm chaining him down in his cube at work if he doesn't start looking at stuff for the exam soon.

Quote Originally Posted by selyar View Post
    i mean, maybe i just picked up stuff through osmosis in the review class i was required to take. i honestly did half a practice exam the day before my test and sat through a review class drunk 1/2 the time and passed.

the equation book is key. have you been using the test approved calculator to study with? we all ditched our ti-89s for like a week and only used the stupid calculators to get familiar with them.

i stand by taking the general test, but if you've looked at all of the topics for the mechanical test, you'll be fine.

he probably is under estimating the PE, but knowing him, he's going to pass anyway. he's one of those naturally smart people who never had to do homework or study for anything. that being said, i'm chaining him down in his cube at work if he doesn't start looking at stuff for the exam soon.
    i haven't started using a different calculator yet, but i'm going to buy it in the next couple of days. i plan on taking the whole practice exam with it. it does seem like one of those exams that you think is really bad, but once you take it it isn't horrible. it's nice that there isn't a passing grade and that it is judged against everyone else that takes it. i've found that there are some problems in my review book that are ridiculously easy and then others that are absolutely ridiculous and if i see any question like them i will probably skip right away and most likely guess on them.

all the power to him if he passes with minimal studying. i used to be able to do that, but i can't anymore.
    aka Tedenby21

Page 1 of 24 123 11 ... LastLast