The Engineering (and other homework) Thread - Help me study!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 236

Thread: The Engineering (and other homework) Thread - Help me study!!

                  
   
   
   
  1. #11
    get it sooner than later. what are your options?

    beware calculators that use weird syntax

    and get familiar with the functions that will help you be faster. also see what kind of advanced calculations it can do to check yourself. usually it's faster to do them by hand, but i used mine to double check stuff

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by selyar View Post
    get it sooner than later. what are your options?

    beware calculators that use weird syntax

    and get familiar with the functions that will help you be faster. also see what kind of advanced calculations it can do to check yourself. usually it's faster to do them by hand, but i used mine to double check stuff
    i'm planning on going to staples on friday. there is a list of calculators that can be used. i'm gonna try to get one that is the most similar to what i currently have. i wish i could just use my ti-89. it doesn't seem unfair to use it, but that's probably because i don't know how to do all of the fancy things it can do.
    aka Tedenby21

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
    i'm planning on going to staples on friday. there is a list of calculators that can be used. i'm gonna try to get one that is the most similar to what i currently have. i wish i could just use my ti-89. it doesn't seem unfair to use it, but that's probably because i don't know how to do all of the fancy things it can do.
    are you kidding? you don't know all the fancy things? which means you're telling me you don't use it to do all of your matrix multiplying and determinate finding and integrals and differentials and equation solving and graphing and to play tetris when you're bored???

    it's literally an engineering degree in your pocket.

    i used the HP 33 for the exam.

  4. #14

    The Engineering Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by selyar View Post
    are you kidding? you don't know all the fancy things? which means you're telling me you don't use it to do all of your matrix multiplying and determinate finding and integrals and differentials and equation solving and graphing and to play tetris when you're bored???

    it's literally an engineering degree in your pocket.

    i used the HP 33 for the exam.
    i have no clue how to do those things it isn't like it would have really made a huge difference on the exams i took. it would probably help a lot for the FE though. determinates are a pain to calculate by hand if they are more than a 2x2. i'm hoping whatever calculator i get can do them. i'll check out the HP 33.
    aka Tedenby21

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
    i have no clue how to do those things it isn't like it would have really made a huge difference on the exams i took. it would probably help a lot for the FE though. determinates are a pain to calculate by hand if they are more than a 2x2. i'm hoping whatever calculator i get can do them. i'll check out the HP 33.
    i doubt anything they'd let you use would do them.

    i seriously don't know how you never figured out all these things about the 89. why bother having it? like. i don't think i'm that much of a slacker, but my calculator did alot of heavy lifting for me in school. now i just use it to add **** when i'm too lazy to open excel.

  6. #16
    I know how to solve equations with it. I used to know how to do calculus with it but I forgot. I had to get it for calculus in high school.
    aka Tedenby21

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
    you may be severely underestimating the PE. if i just started reviewing for the FE i would be in full on panic mode right now. i even wish i was spending more time reviewing when i started so that i wouldn't have to do so much in this last 9 day crunch.
    The FE was a fucking joke. I studied for one night, the night before the exam, and went to one review class, extremely hung over. I passed no problem.
    The PE is going to be harder SOLELY because I barely do any engineering calculations like that by hand anymore. I also don't remember most of the structural stuff, any of the soil mechanics, etc. I'm also taking the transportation exam, which I have never done any transportation engineering in my entire life. Doesn't matter, because that section is a shitload easier than the hydraulics/hydrology/environmental stuff that I do all the time.

    Of course I'm underestimating the PE, but my goal isn't to pass the exam, it's to spend the least amount of time studying as possible, while still passing the exam. For me, time >>> money, and wasting months of my life isn't worth it if not absolutely necessary. Studying for 3 months and guaranteeing that I pass is just not worth it to me. I'd rather do the bare minimum for this, and if I fail, at least I'll have a gauge on how much studying I need to do. If I fail, I'll know that I underestimated it and that I need to study more next time. I'll be disappointed that I have to take the exam again, but it's not like I wasted a ton of time studying.

    Quote Originally Posted by selyar View Post
    i mean, maybe i just picked up stuff through osmosis in the review class i was required to take. i honestly did half a practice exam the day before my test and sat through a review class drunk 1/2 the time and passed.

    the equation book is key. have you been using the test approved calculator to study with? we all ditched our ti-89s for like a week and only used the stupid calculators to get familiar with them.

    i stand by taking the general test, but if you've looked at all of the topics for the mechanical test, you'll be fine.

    he probably is under estimating the PE, but knowing him, he's going to pass anyway. he's one of those naturally smart people who never had to do homework or study for anything. that being said, i'm chaining him down in his cube at work if he doesn't start looking at stuff for the exam soon.
    I promise, I'm going to start studying today after work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
    all the power to him if he passes with minimal studying. i used to be able to do that, but i can't anymore.
    We'll see if I can. Several years of drinking have passed since the last test that I took, and since I've used 99% of these equations. I have a feeling I'll be OK. If I pass and you fail, I'm going to point and laugh at you, though, so you better pass
    Last edited by onefatsurfer; 04-04-2012 at 09:08.

  8. #18

    The Engineering Thread

    Alright, I'm going to be honest. Talking about Engineering isn't partying or bullshit. So, I will now give you the engineering thread. My ***** was getting soft reading all that nerdy stuff. Enjoy, nerds!

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
    Alright, I'm going to be honest. Talking about Engineering isn't partying or bullshit. So, I will now give you the engineering thread. My ***** was getting soft reading all that nerdy stuff. Enjoy, nerds!
    blow me

  10. #20
    Someone teach me diffraction optics and electromagnetic waves

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Official MLB Thread
    By Zajac's Bowl Cut in forum New Jersey Devils
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 14:06
  2. OT: The TV/Movies Thread
    By Devilsfanatic in forum New Jersey Devils
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-28-2012, 14:53
  3. OT: The Music Thread
    By Devilsfanatic in forum New Jersey Devils
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 22:01
  4. 2012 WJC thread
    By Getzo5 in forum New Jersey Devils
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 20:03
  5. OT: The Drunks Thread
    By Devilsfanatic in forum New Jersey Devils
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 12:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •