Preliminary details for the FHC Dynasty league - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Preliminary details for the FHC Dynasty league

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Brouwer View Post
    Teams will require a name and it is wide open. Name your teams whatever you want
    I am so very stoked to hear that.
    My team will be, "Miro Satan's Army"

Co-Creator & Webmaster Aaron Brouwer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A side note about the Cap Ceiling. We are likely going to be using a percentage of the NHL ceiling. The NHL cap is based on a roster of 20 player I believe and our roster is only 14 cutting against the cap so it would be pretty rare for someone to be over. It the interest of parity we will likely be using the NHL Cap Ceiling minus 15-25%.

You will have lots of time to adjust your roster to get under the cap.

So, we do not have a cap floor, correct?

Can you help me understand the logic on why only your active players would count against the cap? I didn't know that when drafting. There seems no point in concerning yourself with cap numbers when drafting this way, you can just stash any overages on your bench. To complicate that further, we had several teams auto draft. Fantrax does not have them ranked based on cap concerns and so consequently these teams would be fed an average player (or an extra goalie)we bypassed due to Albatross poor contract players, and have no real penalty. If they were not autodrafted, these average players would have remained available for a prudent owner to choose later if he/she has the room. I think your entire major league roster should count towards your cap and really am confused on how that isn't the default and that there was any discussion otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by hamhocks View Post
    Can you help me understand the logic on why only your active players would count against the cap? I didn't know that when drafting. There seems no point in concerning yourself with cap numbers when drafting this way, you can just stash any overages on your bench. To complicate that further, we had several teams auto draft. Fantrax does not have them ranked based on cap concerns and so consequently these teams would be fed an average player (or an extra goalie)we bypassed due to Albatross poor contract players, and have no real penalty. If they were not autodrafted, these average players would have remained available for a prudent owner to choose later if he/she has the room. I think your entire major league roster should count towards your cap and really am confused on how that isn't the default and that there was any discussion otherwise.
    Every other salary cap league I have been in does it this same way. The bench does not count against the cap.
    It's my understanding that when this league was created, this was how it was set up to be played. I could be wrong about that.

This is how I see it, if the salary on your bench goes against the cap, then the points those players are producing should as well, does that make sense? Kind of like, if they are being counted, then they need to be fully counted.

There also comes a challenge when one of your active players becomes injured or isn't producing (or one of your bench players is on a tear), to replace him, the cap needs to be taken into consideration. You can't just stick any player in your line-up. It's part of what makes it interesting to be in this type of league.

There are waivers and free agent signings that can be used to gain or lose salary if that is what a team needs.

However, I do think that the cap floor should have been set before we drafted. I don't see so many teams having an issue with the ceiling but the floor could be a problem.

I am sure the Commish can give you a better explanation than I did.
    Last edited by Coach Selly; 09-10-2012 at 08:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Assistant Coach Selly View Post
    Every other salary cap league I have been in does it this same way. The bench does not count against the cap.
    It's my understanding that when this league was created, this was how it was set up to be played. I could be wrong about that.

This is how I see it, if the salary on your bench goes against the cap, then the points those players are producing should as well, does that make sense? Kind of like, if they are being counted, then they need to be fully counted.

There also comes a challenge when one of your active players becomes injured or isn't producing (or one of your bench players is on a tear), to replace him, the cap needs to be taken into consideration. You can't just stick any player in your line-up. It's part of what makes it interesting to be in this type of league.

There are waivers and free agent signings that can be used to gain or lose salary if that is what a team needs.

However, I do think that the cap floor should have been set before we drafted. I don't see so many teams having an issue with the ceiling but the floor could be a problem.
    I understand why's and wherefore's of the differences. But at macro level (unless the ceiling cap is agressive) the cap had no bearing on the draft. No one had to be concerned whatsoever to the ceiling as if they end up high, they can just stash, I suspect there were guys that drafted that didn't even lookup or know any of their players salaries and come October won't even be inhibited. I don't see a NHL team that owns Rinne at 7M for 10 years going out and adding Louongo at 5.3M over the next 10 years. And then comfortably signing Weber at 7.8M for 10 years with paying Loungo having no bearing on that decision. In our case it could very well have happened in our draft. So, with me coming from that perspective, that is why i am confused and disappointed. I could have saved myself some preperation time and done a better job of drafting my football teams Ugghh

Co-Creator & Webmaster Aaron Brouwer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As mention in a previous update the cap ceiling will be a percentage of the NHL cap ceiling. This will make the cap actually significant, we are just in discussion of where that percentage will end up.

I apologize if there was confusion.

As far as autodraft, that is an unfortunate part of running a pool with so many teams. Not everyone will make it to the draft and there has to be a fair way of generating teams.

Just a simple thought.
    NHL Cap Ceiling is appx. 3.05M per player. 23x3.05=70.15. Assuming bench/farm does not count, that leaves our 14 active players. 14x3.05M= $42,700.

Don't forget to post your team rosters right here: Roster

Are we allowed to trade next season's draft picks?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast