Colborne To Undergo Wrist Surgery

Thread: Colborne To Undergo Wrist Surgery

Colborne To Undergo Wrist Surgery

TORONTO -- Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Joe Colborne will spend the summer recovering from wrist surgery after revealing on Marlies locker cleanout day he was dealing with the injury most of the season.

``I've been battling a wrist injury all year and we're going to take care of that over the next week or so,'' said Colborne, whose AHL Toronto Marlies were swept by the Norfolk Admirals in the Calder Cup final. ``Hopefully I'll be ready by camp.''

The six-foot-five forward wouldn't say when the injury first happened but his statistical decline points towards late 2011.

The Calgary native started the season with the Marlies in October, scoring 10 goals in his first 12 games and recording 19 points in 13 contests. He was called up by the Leafs on Nov. 19.

He had four points in six NHL games, but when he returned to the Marlies his production started to decline.

In his first 13 games back with the AHL club, Colborne scored only once.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|TOR|home

I managed to check out the two Calder Cup final games here in Toronto and it was painfully apparent that there was something not right with Colborne.

Despite being utilized on the power play in the high slot as a shooter, Colborne rarely shot the puck typically opting for the pass. When he did decide to direct a puck towards the net, it looked feeble on occasion and rarely did it even find the mark.

For the Leafs sake, they better hope this isn't a serious problem or one that becomes recurring because Colborne was a shell of his former self during the Calder Cup final.