Did the Penguins get a fair return on Jordan Staal?

Thread: Did the Penguins get a fair return on Jordan Staal?

Hybrid View

Did the Penguins get a fair return on Jordan Staal?

As for the Pittsburgh Penguins, they received a fantastic return in exchange for the young Staal including the eighth overall selection, Brian Dumoulin and Brandon Sutter.

Upon receiving Carolina's 2012 first round selection, the Pens promptly selected swift puck-moving defenseman Derrick Pouliot of the Western Hockey League's Portland Winterhawks.
    Read it all here

Do you like the return that Pittsburgh got for Staal? Why or why not?

I think the Pens got an excellent return for Jordan Staal. After Staal turned down the 10 year offer from the Penguins, it seemed pretty obvious that he didn't want to stay in Pittsburgh. Pouliot is a player the Penguins really wanted to draft and by picking up another 1st rounder in this move, they were able to get him.

The also got Sutter in the deal who in the past 2 seasons had 29 and 32 points, with the Pens, I think we will only see this number climb.

Dumoulin is a good sized, young d-man who seems to have quite a bit of promise.

I definitely like what Pitt got in return for Staal as well, Selly. There was the risk that he would walk via free agency at the end of this coming season and team's easily could have used that as power over the Pens in negotiations. For Shero to get what he did is phenomenal.