Jokinen excited about opportunity with Jets; Winnipeg is ‘up-and-coming,’ says Finn

Thread: Jokinen excited about opportunity with Jets; Winnipeg is ‘up-and-coming,’ says Finn

Jokinen excited about opportunity with Jets; Winnipeg is ‘up-and-coming,’ says Finn

Olli Jokinen wants to help the Winnipeg Jets take things to the next level.

The newest member of the Winnipeg Jets addressed the media on a conference call from Finland on Tuesday morning and talked about being part of team that’s in the process of trying to make the playoffs.

“I had two other offers, but I looked at Winnipeg’s lineup and it’s an up-and-coming team,” said Jokinen, who had 23 goals and 61 points last season with the Calgary Flames. “I thought it was going to be a good fit for me. I can help this team take that next step. When you get older, you want to win and be part of something good.”

Jokinen, 33, has been a productive player during his 14 NHL seasons, surpassing 20 goals on seven occasions, 30 goals on four occasions and putting up nine seasons of 50 points or better.

He’s not joining the Jets to coast into retirement either.

“In the last year and a half, I changed my game and the credit goes to Brent (Sutter). He taught me how to play good in both ends and how to play against other teams top lines and to be more helpful to the team,” said Jokinen, who has played 1,042 NHL games and signed a two-year deal worth $9 million on Monday night. “Not just to get points and score goals. My expectations going into the season, whatever the role is going to be and whoever I get to play with, I’m going to do what coach (Claude Noel) wants me to do. Whatever my role is going to be, I'm going to do the best that I can.”

Jokinen said he’s happy to continue playing in a Canadian market and that his family “isn’t afraid of the snow.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/07/0...nity-with-jets

Maybe Olli can find some consistency with Winnipeg. I think he will be a good fit with the Jets and I wish him all the best.