Is Ryan Getzlaf a Problem for the Anaheim Ducks?

Thread: Is Ryan Getzlaf a Problem for the Anaheim Ducks?

Hybrid View

Is Ryan Getzlaf a Problem for the Anaheim Ducks?

In theory, the Anaheim Ducks have one of the best young core group of players in the National Hockey League. In practice, however, they’ve collectively struggled to assume the responsibilities left to them by the vacated Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, and the aging ageless wonder Teemu Selanne (who, if you’ll remember, actually led the entire team in points during the 2011-12 season, which, if you think about it, is kind of embarrassing for the rest of the group.)

Much of the blame for these hiccups has been placed, fair or not, squarely on the shoulders of the easiest target, big center Ryan Getzlaf. Anaheim’s fans and media have painted Getzlaf as a lazy player with questionable work ethic, prone to taking bad penalties, and who sometimes appears uninterested. No few amount of Anaheim fans have even questioned whether or not Getzlaf is deserving of the Anaheim captaincy.

Does this have any basis in fact?

More right here

Do you think that he's lazy, Selly? I wasn't aware that so much of the team woes were being placed on him, but looking at his stats over the past couple of years more closely, I guess I can see why they may.

Getzlaf really hasn't played up to his potential these past couple of seasons, but I don't think he's lazy.
    I can't pinpoint what it is for him, maybe he doesn't handle the pressure of being the Captain so well, maybe he needs a change in linemates (but sheesh, Perry and Ryan, how much better do your linemates need to be?!), maybe he shouldn't be on the top line, maybe he just needs to shoot the puck more.

I do know that something needs to change with him, he's been a bit of a disappointed over these past few years.

Well, to be fair, Bobby Ryan hasn't been happy for the last year with all the rumors around him either.