Salary Cap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Salary Cap

                  
   
   
   

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Co-Creator & Webmaster Aaron Brouwer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,087
    Blog Entries
    2

    Salary Cap

    Just want everyone to know whats happening regarding the salary cap.

    Fantrax is in the works of adding a cap floor option to their website but they have no timeline for when it will be available. Therefore we will not have a cap floor until they offer that function as it will be too hard to maintain manually with weekly line-up changes. So the cap floor won't take effect until the start of the first season after it is available. If it will be available before the start of this season, whenever it starts it will be used.

    The salary cap for this pool will be 20% less then what the NHL cap is. Both floor and ceiling cap will be 20% less.

  2. #2
    im just curious. In a money pool keeper league like this one, is having a salary floor absolutely necessary? I mean if people want to spend alot less on players, then i say so be it. Let them donate there 10 bucks or what have you and say thanks for the contribution. I understand having a floor is necessary in free fantasy leagues because you want to encourage competitiveness. However with money involved, you already have your motivation for everyone to try and win now. I think for teams who drafted young like ours who have a low team cap hit shouldn't be penalized for that and a salary floor is really not needed.

    Let me give you this scenario. If all 30 owners had to submit a $1 million dollar fee at the start of the season, and the stanley cup winning owner's team got the $30 million dollars, do you not think that might encourage the smaller market teams to spend more then they would like.

    I vote for no salary floor, atleast for the first season as we drafted teams not knowing the financial cap restrictions and shouldnt be penalized if your team can not get above the floor.

    My 2 cents.

  3. #3
    I think that for this season, because we didn't know what the cap was when we drafted the majority of the rounds, the cap floor should not be enforced. I would like to see it go into effect for 2013-14.

    This not because I think I'll be below the floor, at this point I am pretty sure that I am okay.
    Last edited by Coach Selly; 09-11-2012 at 13:59.

  4. #4
    The NHL has a cap ceiling of $70.2M and a floor of $54.2

    20% of 70,200,000 is 14,040,000 which would make our ceiling $56,160,000
    20% of 54,200,000 is 10,840,000 which makes our floor $43,360,000

    Correct?
    (As I have stated before, my math is not the best. So, if someone who is good at math could check these...)

  5. #5
    I agree with what Chad is saying. I think perhaps its too late for this season, but I don't think the 20% reduction from the NHL is enough to really make the cap as challenging as it should. I believe the NHL's cap hit is for a 23 man roster, which means our 14 man roster is 61% of theirs. Even if its based on a 20 man roster (which I don't believe it is, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong), that's still 70% of the NHL cap with our 14-man roster. A rollback of 20% benefits those who spend a lot and penalizes those who don't spend a lot (by having an artificially comparable high ceiling and floor). I think the number should be at least 30% of the NHL's to really have the equivalent difficulty. I understand that the bottom six positions we are missing are probably the lowest paid positions in the NHL, but I'm looking at cap numbers and I see its not that challenging to have a lot of big money players on your roster.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Simpson View Post
    I agree with what Chad is saying. I think perhaps its too late for this season, but I don't think the 20% reduction from the NHL is enough to really make the cap as challenging as it should. I believe the NHL's cap hit is for a 23 man roster, which means our 14 man roster is 61% of theirs. Even if its based on a 20 man roster (which I don't believe it is, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong), that's still 70% of the NHL cap with our 14-man roster. A rollback of 20% benefits those who spend a lot and penalizes those who don't spend a lot (by having an artificially comparable high ceiling and floor). I think the number should be at least 30% of the NHL's to really have the equivalent difficulty. I understand that the bottom six positions we are missing are probably the lowest paid positions in the NHL, but I'm looking at cap numbers and I see its not that challenging to have a lot of big money players on your roster.
    I totally agree and actually stated something similiar in a different thread. It reduces the challenge even further when only counting active players, you can bury an overpaid player on your reserves with nominal penalty. I had suggested that the NHL cap is $3.05m per man and that should be ours or at least very close to that figure. 30% is closer at $3.5M per man vs. 20% is $4M per man.
    That is my 2 cents.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by hamhocks View Post
    I totally agree and actually stated something similiar in a different thread. It reduces the challenge even further when only counting active players, you can bury an overpaid player on your reserves with nominal penalty. I had suggested that the NHL cap is $3.05m per man and that should be ours or at least very close to that figure. 30% is closer at $3.5M per man vs. 20% is $4M per man.
    That is my 2 cents.
    I guess it was your comment I read, not Chad's, that I agreed with (though I agree with his premise). Should pay more attention. It was your numbers that confirmed what I was thinking and I did a bit more number crunching to confirm I wasn't out to lunch.

  8. #8
    Co-Creator & Webmaster Aaron Brouwer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,087
    Blog Entries
    2
    I like this discussion. In order to mirror the NHL, how about we use this formula to decide our cap:

    KEEPER POOL CAP CEILING - NHL cap ceiling divided by 23 multiply by 14

    KEEPER POOL CAP FLOOR - NHL cap floor divided by 23 multiply by 14

    Unless there is another suggestion with strong reasons this seems to make the most logical sense.

    I also agree that for the first year there will be no cap floor but once fantrax offers it as a function it will be in place for the start of the first season it is offered (minus of course this season).

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Brouwer View Post
    I like this discussion. In order to mirror the NHL, how about we use this formula to decide our cap:

    KEEPER POOL CAP CEILING - NHL cap ceiling divided by 23 multiply by 14

    KEEPER POOL CAP FLOOR - NHL cap floor divided by 23 multiply by 14

    Unless there is another suggestion with strong reasons this seems to make the most logical sense.

    I also agree that for the first year there will be no cap floor but once fantrax offers it as a function it will be in place for the start of the first season it is offered (minus of course this season).
    I am a little confused by this: so it $70.2M divided by 23 x 14? That's only approximately $42,730,435. This seems very low to me

    Am I doing this completely wrong? Could someone please post what our actual cap ceiling is in $?
    Thanks much.
    Last edited by Coach Selly; 09-13-2012 at 11:44.

  10. #10
    I think that makes the most sense. Good call.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •