Salary Cap - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salary Cap

Co-Creator & Webmaster Aaron Brouwer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your math is correct Selly. Thats an average of $3M per player

Alrightu, thanks.

One thing about the cap calculation is that we only have three lines and 2 defense pairs. Generally the 3rd pair defense and the 4th line players are WAY below average salary. I'm afraid we will end up having a lot of very good players with high cap hits not playing here. Looking through some of the teams, it could be a struggle, but maybe that's part of the fun, I don't know.

I have to agree with Craig. The current cap may work proportionally, but in reality that limits any team's usage of elite players(for instance, the guy who drafted Ovie now has just 32mil to spend on 13 guys).

Currently 12 of the 28 teams (43%) in the league are 'over'-capped ... some extremely so. Of the remaining 16, another 10 (including my own) are only 'cap legal' through the burying of one or more significant contracts.

So, in my estimation just six of our league's franchises are under-cap without messily benching a starter - or several.

I believe that a salary-cap is useful in promoting movement. I think that an excessively-high cap would be counter-productive, but right now, most teams are going to be forced to bench one or many good starters just to get solvent and that just feels like a waste.

I'd guess a ceiling in the realm of 45-to-50 million would work at least nominally better than the current level. Several franchises would remain over (actually still well-over), but that would still potentially create the activity we're seeking while limiting the number of benched starters per team.

My opinion: Some good points are made that a cap increase should be considered based on the fact the 4th line fwds and 3rd pairing dman(less expensive players) are part of NHL cap but not our starting lineups. I believe a small increase should be discussed/reviewed. But everyone should keep in mind, many owners drafted with NHL like salary cap in mind. Just one example; I passed over high priced guys like Carter, Cole, Koivu, and Vanak to take Stepan, knowing i was maybe giving up some production, which i would never do if cap was really soft. As such, i think to be fair too all, though an increase as you suggest is in order, I think it should still be a competitive cap. A suggestion, if it were increased 5% would be $44,866; 6%=$45,293 or 7%=$45,721; one of these seems about right to me. If the decision is made to increase we should stay with percents so our transition with new CBA will be easier. Again, my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hamhocks View Post
    My opinion: Some good points are made that a cap increase should be considered based on the fact the 4th line fwds and 3rd pairing dman(less expensive players) are part of NHL cap but not our starting lineups. I believe a small increase should be discussed/reviewed. But everyone should keep in mind, many owners drafted with NHL like salary cap in mind. Just one example; I passed over high priced guys like Carter, Cole, Koivu, and Vanak to take Stepan, knowing i was maybe giving up some production, which i would never do if cap was really soft. As such, i think to be fair too all, though an increase as you suggest is in order, I think it should still be a competitive cap. A suggestion, if it were increased 5% would be $44,866; 6%=$45,293 or 7%=$45,721; one of these seems about right to me. If the decision is made to increase we should stay with percents so our transition with new CBA will be easier. Again, my opinion.
    I am in agreement with an increase in our cap of one of these types. Any more than a 5-7% increase is unfair to those of us who drafted with a cap in mind. Part of the challenge of a capped league is having to be creative to stay under the cap and this league was announced as a capped league from the beginning.

I'll bet that the majority of the teams that are well over the cap are the teams that allowed themselves to be autodrafted for the majority of their picks. This is their own fault(s) for not taking the time to set a list for themselves. They will have to deal with the problem by making trades and/or by picking up waived players or free agents and releasing others.
    Last edited by Coach Selly; 10-22-2012 at 11:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Assistant Coach Selly View Post
    I am in agreement with an increase in our cap of one of these types. Any more than a 5-7% increase is unfair to those of us who drafted with a cap in mind. Part of the challenge of a capped league is having to be creative to stay under the cap and this league was announced as a capped league from the beginning.

I'll bet that the majority of the teams that are well over the cap are the teams that allowed themselves to be autodrafted for the majority of their picks. This is their own fault(s) for not taking the time to set a list for themselves. They will have to deal with the problem by making trades and/or by picking up waived players or free agents and releasing others.
    Yep, I did draft with the 20% less than NHL in mind...and would be in compliance however the other calculation puts me over. So a simple 5% increase would make me in compliance. I thought the cap was the 20% less than current caps...so thats how I picked players. I think we should allow the 5% increase at this time, or when the season starts.

Personally I think it is a challenge but not a big deal, do you always play some of your top guys? Not always...given matchups, etc. I do believe the cap should be in the 45-48 million range or 75-80% of 60 million. Why? Simple the new cap when it goes in effect in the 2013-14 season is going to be around there. Might as well get used to playing at that. That being said, if we have to play with the rules in place, then we must.
    I am a very accessible fantasy hockey player. Do not be afraid to ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWassel View Post
    Personally I think it is a challenge but not a big deal, do you always play some of your top guys? Not always...given matchups, etc. I do believe the cap should be in the 45-48 million range or 75-80% of 60 million. Why? Simple the new cap when it goes in effect in the 2013-14 season is going to be around there. Might as well get used to playing at that. That being said, if we have to play with the rules in place, then we must.
    Well said.

I'm one of the cap compliant teams, so I'm not trying to cover my own mistakes and am perfectly happy living with the current cap. I just looked through many other rosters and thought a lot of really good players may not be on active rosters with the cap where it is. I'm not advocating for a big increase in cap, only a small one as others have suggested to compensate for the 4th line/3rd pairing D that the NHL has and we don't. Perhaps, though, the fair thing would be to run a season and see how it works since the rule was put in place already.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast