Mid-draft Influencing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid-draft Influencing

Hybrid View

Mid-draft Influencing

I believe we should instantiate a rule for the future drafts that no one mentions yet-to-be-drafted names to other owners once the draft begins.

It's one of thing to put out a guide before the draft starts, where all owners have it available to them and can consider these things along with the entire draft order laid out ahead of them. It's another thing to have already made your last pick in the draft, and then give other owners suggestions about guys still on your list mid round when someone later in that round may have already had their heart set on a guy who has been unknowingly falling through the cracks because the other owners haven't done their homework.

This exact situation happened to me during today's draft with Tanner Pearson. Due to the fact I had no 2nd round selection, and I watched every owner pass over this guy who was clearly better than other names going in the 2nd round, I knew he had been forgotten about and I wasn't worried about trying to change my draft position with a trade from 25th in the 3rd round to earlier in the round to ensure I got him. Someone who had finished picking their draft then told people they were giving away the top names on their board if you messaged them about 5 picks before my pick, and Pearson was the next name to be drafted. It was confirmed that this name was one of the ones given away for free to the manager who chose him.

I would have expected that someone with as much experience in Fantasy Sports and one of our commishes would know better than to influence a draft like this, but I guess not - therefore I propose this rule.
    Last edited by Bubba83; 07-28-2013 at 12:16.

I am the person who offered any advice. It was not my intention to screw anyone over, just being helpful. I think it is a pretty common occurrence to have the player you thought would be available at a certain pick be picked before you get him. It happened to me today too as I wanted Kujawinski. It is disappointing I know. Yes I understand that perhaps no one suggested Kujawinski so there is a difference.
    I am an experienced fantasy draft person and I have seen plenty of times when advice was given during a draft.
    Earlier in the draft today someone asked for advice between two players and suggestions were offered and that could have influenced the draft. Players were accidentally selected and allowed to be re-picked. That also could have influenced the draft.
    However because these other circumstances did not effect who you wanted to pick, you are not complaining about it.

Again, I was not trying to screw anyone over, just trying to be friendly.
    I think the idea of a rule governing this is ludicrous. If your guy is picked before you can draft him, that's life.

It would also be logistically impossible to govern any such rule as there is no way to monitor private chats.

Sorry I spoiled you sleeper pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Pharling View Post
    I am the person who offered any advice. It was not my intention to screw anyone over, just being helpful. I think it is a pretty common occurrence to have the player you thought would be available at a certain pick be picked before you get him. It happened to me today too as I wanted Kujawinski. It is disappointing I know. Yes I understand that perhaps no one suggested Kujawinski so there is a difference.
    I am an experienced fantasy draft person and I have seen plenty of times when advice was given during a draft.
    Earlier in the draft today someone asked for advice between two players and suggestions were offered and that could have influenced the draft. Players were accidentally selected and allowed to be re-picked. That also could have influenced the draft.
    However because these other circumstances did not effect who you wanted to pick, you are not complaining about it.

Again, I was not trying to screw anyone over, just trying to be friendly.
    I think the idea of a rule governing this is ludicrous. If your guy is picked before you can draft him, that's life.

It would also be logistically impossible to govern any such rule as there is no way to monitor private chats.

Sorry I spoiled you sleeper pick.
    The other time you're referring to in our draft the guy asked the public chat who he should take between two different players, opinions were given, and then he chose one. Either of those players were going to go around that spot as both were 2013 draft selections who went right next to eachother. You're right that if the public opinion changed his mind about who he would have selected there then it influenced the draft as well. This has always been something that is frowned upon in any fantasy draft I've ever been apart of.

The biggest thing I have a problem with is the fact that you only offered up such advice after you were done drafting, suggesting that you would not be keen to giving up advice for the same reason as trying to prevent what happened to me from happening to you for who you wanted with your last pick.

Accidental selections are a different matter entirely, and as long as no one else is selected afterwards and then a manager says who they "would have selected", I don't have a problem with the rollbacks since they did not influence the draft intentions of any other owner. The problem scenario in a rollback would only occur if manager A "accidentally" selects someone, manager B drafts next and drafts a good player, perhaps a sleeper A wasn't thinking about, and then manager A says "crap, i meant to select <insert manager B's player name here>". This situation did not happen today so I thought that was handled fine.

I have no doubt about your intentions, I know you were just trying to be friendly at that point and I don't think you tried to screw anyone over, but you need to realize that by offering up that advice you are likely going to change the flow of the draft completely unless it is bad advice. Doing this at a time when the draft is 8-9 picks from being over is downright unfair and changes every owner's plans. I was vocally against it in the chat immediately when you offered up the advice and you still gave it out despite that.

I agree it's unenforceable to some extent and it'd have to somewhat be an honor rule, but at least enforcing it so that no manager mentions a player name who hasn't been drafted in the public draft chat, or says something to the extent of shoot me a message if you need advice is enforceable and would have prevented the one, or potentially two particular occurrences that happened today.
    Last edited by Bubba83; 07-28-2013 at 15:51.

We could say that something like this is frowned upon but even the Commish can not monitor that private chat, PMs or emails between GMs.
    It would have to be an honor kind of thing.

There is no way that we could enforce something like this, unless we had absolute proof that it had happened. If one GM says it happened and the other says it didn't, how can we say which one is telling the truth?

Personally, I have no problem with GMs offering advice to other GMs. It happens all the time, I have asked for and been given advice on draft picks in other leagues before and during a draft.

The biggest thing I have a problem with is the fact that you only offered up such advice after you were done drafting, suggesting that you would not be keen to giving up advice for the same reason as trying to prevent what happened to me from happening to you for who you wanted with your last pick.
    Okay, I can see your issue with this and I can understand why you are upset.
    I know it wasn't Coach Pharling's intention to hurt any teams by offering advice.

But, I just don't know that I am comfortable with a rule that could potentially punish a GM for being nice. Unless malicious intent could be proved I would not feel okay punishing a GM for this.

I wasn't in the draft at the time that this occurred, but now as I read it, I agree. But, to clarify, there are 2 different issues here. What bubba is asking can be enforced and is simple etiquette. No owner should give another owner player names or advice in the public chat room while,the draft is going on. The other advice that coach pharling is referring to is correct, if some PMs or emails is different.

Just my 2 cents, but this is always a draft issue whether its online or in person.

The spirit of the rule in my opinion is not to prevent a GM from being nice, rather to uphold the idea that each manager is solely responsible for their own team and their own decisions for managing that team. The managers that do more pre-draft or during draft homework should have an advantage over the managers who don't - that's part of what makes it competitively exciting for the more active managers.

So, what would you propose as a penalty for something like this?
    This is in no way saying the rule will be created. But, since it has been brought up, I will take it to the BOG for discussion.

No penalty is necessary. I wouldn't say it should be a rule, just general etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrett View Post
    No penalty is necessary. I wouldn't say it should be a rule, just general etiquette.
    I am in agreement with this, but Bubba83 is saying there should be a rule

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast