Toronto Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul is only 30 years old, but he already has a lifetime of hockey memories. In his third season with the Leafs, Lupul is enjoying life as an alternate captain. Off the ice, he is enjoying all the opportunities the city of Toronto offers and, in the process, exploring his passions for food, music and fashion.

Kathryn Tappen: A Fort Saskatchewan kid, living in the big city of Toronto. What was it like growing up in the small town of Fort Saskatchewan?

Joffrey Lupul:
I lived there until I left to play my junior [hockey] in Medicine Hat. I have two younger brothers and we grew up playing hockey there. Most of my childhood friends still live there. It is a small city, probably of only about 15,000 people. Every year I would be playing with all the same players. We grew up as best friends and playing on the same team from the time you were about 10 years old. We developed a lot of close friendships that way, and especially being from a small town I've tried to stay in touch with a lot of them, although things are a little different now than they were back then. Some of them have busy lives with their kids, getting married; but I've certainly tried to keep in touch.

Read on